Cee Bailey Windscreen

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
M

Mashugina

Bought a 4"x3" "flip" with light gray tint. Just under $200. Bought it directly from them, so I'm not sure if the price was right (fixed) or others have gotten much better deals elsewhere. Whatever--Hey, I buy gas at the more expensive stations for the convenience of avoiding lines, etc., so I have the screen and that's that.....time is precious to me, and I don't stress trying to save $30 if I don't have to. (Sounds like rationalizing to me)

Installed it in about 5 minutes. I could swear the guy at CB's said "45 minutes," but I must have misheard him as it was actually "4 to 5" minutes!! I find every mod ends up being easier than I thought, but it's the unfamiliarity that creates that mystery of what I "think" it will take to do it. Replacing the screen means 7 nylon screws! I guess that's why stuff is so easy the second time around.

I find the 4x3 looks very good, and noticably larger than the OEM screen. It's thicker and the light tint looks good on an '04. I was previously riding with the OEM shield and a Laminar Lip, which I felt helped the buffeting and noise. But this new shield is MUCH better.

In the down position, I started hearing wind noise just over 35 mph. I'm 6' and easily look over the shield in the down position. As I raised the screen to it's full up position, it was remarkedly quiet(er) and not having to look thru an additional layer of "glass" (the Laminar Lip) was better on the eyes. Riding with polarized sunglasses, a limo tinted helmet shield, and looking thru the OEM with Laminar Lip was just too many layers and distorted things. For me, the most imporant thing is wearing good polarized glasses. Without them, the helmet shield doesn't prevent glare. I do 98% daytime riding too.

So now, with the screen in the full up position, I can look thru 3 layers with no distortion if I so choose. I can also sit up straight and look over the screen when it's in the full up position, but get a little more wind noise. Call me a slouch.

I'm surprised at all the criticism I've read on the boards about the CB 4x3 screen (although it does depend on your build, helmet, etc.), as this one brings the wind noise way down for me. I could hear myself speaking :p in a low voice even at 75mph, which surprised me. Will it be warmer than the OEM in hot weather? Perhaps, but I'd trade a little breeze for a quieter ride--but that's just me. I could also easily go back to the OEM on the hottest days (SoCal).

I give this screen two throttles up! I like it. ;)

Mash

Congrats on the Cee Bailey. I've been using a +4,+2 lite gray, with flip for about 4000 miles now. Quality is good and install was a snap..It's a little hot in the summer (that's a relative term here in MI), but all in all I'm happy with the additional protection offered. Makes the 40 degree mornings much more tolerable. I typically ride with mine a couple bumps up, still look over the top though... B)

--G

I have a +4 tall +3 wide, clear, no flip. Works great and keeps me in still air when I want, or I can lower it and get a nice breeze going.

I have a standard contour,standard width,4 inches higher on the way, i didn't want that big bulky look, should have it any day will post again, when i see how it works and looks

My CB for my 07 R1200R BMW was redesigned 9 months after I bought mine because most R guys jammed a block, and bent the hell out of the BMW $150 windscreen bracket to get enough angle to Address the buffeting. When the new screen came out I inquired about a trade or trade in - no.

I will NEVER buy a CB again.

I've put many miles on my +4+2 clear flip Cee Baily. It was a great mod! I got the headlight protectors too.

About the only issue I have with it is if it gets moisture/dew/leftover rain in the flip portion the wind doesn't clear it. It's just a 'nit' aka small complaint and easy to deal with.

When the weather is bad, I run that thing all the way up and hunker down behind it.

I find polarized lenses are a poor choice for viewing LED and LCD displays, and creates a lot of distortion in some helmet visors. Other than your preference for polarized, I think the Cee Bailey is a good screen and I also use it, BUT, also added the Laminar Lip.

DSC_4455b.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: