Center Stand Technique (SPLIT)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's not that difficult for a big guy like me, but I still don't do it. The side stand (with bike in 1st gear) is actually a more stable position for the bike than the center stand, in case someone bumps into it or really gusty winds. When you ride on a ferry you always put the bike on the side stand (never center) and only in extreme cases need to tie the bike pulling towards the sidestand.

The ironic thing is that when you do use the center stand for maintenance where you want to pull the rear wheel off, it isn't high enough to get the wheel out from under the fender, and still needs to have an extra board put under the feet of the center stand. Which of course requires you to roll the back wheel up on a board or you would never be able to lift the beast.

How much would people pay for a power center stand?

I put the bike on the center stand when in the garage, as I don't have the room to have it leaning to one side on the side stand. I found that after stepping on the center stand and bringing the bike to vertical (feeling the stand touch ground with both feet), I give it a very slight roll forward, then pull it back while stepping on the stand and lifting with the handle on the side, it more or less pops up, even sliding backwards maybe a half inch or so if I get aggressive enough.

Just wondering if anyone knows whether the supposedly easier Gen3 center stands can be retrofitted to the Gen2? From what I've seen published the frame and the rear half of the FJR is unchanged so you'd think the mounting holes would be the same too, thus is the difference purely due to a better design of the Gen 3 center stand?

Well, you made me look. And you are right, there is a subtle difference in the actuator arm foot step of center stand, and also the legs of the stand appear shorter underneath of the cross bar. That must be responsible for it being easier to deploy:

2012 - STAND, MAIN 5P5-27111-00-00

2012centerstand.jpg

2013 - STAND, MAIN 5P5-27111-10-00 $185.49 (list)

2013centerstand.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, if you didn't want to splurge on a G3 centerstand, why not roll your own? Then you can make it as easy as you want!!

Find a used one somewhere (fleaBay or whatever) and cut and reweld the two legs to take some of the height out of them. If you measure the tire clearance when currently on the C-stand, them determine the ratio of the distance between the front tire contact point and centerstand vs. the full wheelbase, you should be able to figure out how much you can take out of the stand and still (barely) lift the rear wheel.

The less you lift it, the easier it will be.

Here's a link to a pdf document one of the forum members here created on shortening the centerstand after installing lowering links. The premise would be exactly the same.