Center Stand

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rogdeb

Scouser
Reaction score
It's "pickin' brains time" again.

Mines the '03, and the recent post about the center stand problem prompted me to buy a new center stand (Desert Valley price is cool) and replace mine myself (the operative word being "myself") before I have a problem with a breakage.

To those of you who have replaced your stands "yourself", what's the safest way to tackle this?

The more I look at the bike and the ways I could approach this, the more I'm beginning to think I should let the dealer do it.

I made the "iron pipe" stand to do things like removing wheels, etc. , so I have that at my disposal,,,, my main concern being to have the FJR at a steady enough position (3 point contact ??) to perform the operation.

Any suggestions out there?

Thanks guys,

Roger

It's a little bit of a pain but you can do it with the bike sitting on the side stand. Just make sure the bike is in gear so it won't roll while working on it.

JW

Last edited by a moderator:
1 Find a big ol' hardwood tree.

2 Get some Chain and a Chain fall or Comealong.

3 Coupla big truck innertubes.

4 Two old Blankets or new if ya wanna spend the $.

Hook the lifting device to the big tree where a substantial branch hangs off. Wrap blanket around area of upper triple clamp and below seat in rear. wrap innertube around the same area.

Now run chain in area between innertube/blanket space an tires, ;) an lift away!!!!

Bet ya didn't know we had Rednecks this far nort', didja :p

:jester:

Roger - did mine on the sidestand when I bent the original, no real troubles if you take the right bolts out in the right order - I first thought I'd have to mess w/ the headers but didn't. Quality wrenches help. Be happy to help since my forks are at Roseville Yamaha...

Hmmmmm .. 2 for sidestand huh?

Have to re-think my original idea then, maybe too unsafe anyway.

Thanks for the offer Glas1/2ful, I'll let you know as I have a few things happening at the moment and I'm not sure myself when I can start this.

Hmmmmm .. 2 for sidestand huh?Have to re-think my original idea then, maybe too unsafe anyway.

Thanks for the offer Glas1/2ful, I'll let you know as I have a few things happening at the moment and I'm not sure myself when I can start this.
Make that three for sidestand. A bit of a struggle getting underneath with the right wrenches, etc. but it will come off from the sidestand and without removing the headers.

Rogdeb, If you haven't already done your center stand, be aware that in my case the bolts that you have to remove on the right side of the bike to get the pivot bolt out were Very tight!! Make sure that you have your wrench/socket on there good so you don't slip and screw up the nut or some of your knuckles. :glare:

I didn't think of it until after the fact but I could of taken pictures of how I did it on the side stand.

JW

Rogdeb, If you haven't already done your center stand, be aware that in my case the bolts that you have to remove on the right side of the bike to get the pivot bolt out were Very tight!! Make sure that you have your wrench/socket on there good so you don't slip and screw up the nut or some of your knuckles. :glare:
I didn't think of it until after the fact but I could of taken pictures of how I did it on the side stand.

JW
Good advice, thanks. might be this week sometime ------- maybe!

I think I will ride out and give you a hand. I just checked and according to Streets and Trips it's only 2512 miles from my house to yours. What time do you want to get started? :D

JW

Jwilly, You're too cool - thanks. Tomorrow - 7.00am :lol:

Actually just came in from the garage.

I fabricated a stand for the rear wheel to roll the bike onto & tie down. Worked great.

Undid the nuts on the stand (after removing the springs) -- nuts were TIGHT !! ,,and found I had to remove 2 more nuts/bolts on the framework (dog bone thingies ? - I dunno what they're called) which I did (TIGHT !!). Now to loosen the other 2. :rolleyes:

Got 1 loose -- 2nd one -- no friggin' way !! :angry2: I now know I don't have QUALITY TOOLS :glare:

Sooooooo -- seeing as how I need a 40,000 mile service, guess who is going to replace the center stand ??

Hey -- was fun while I was doing it -- HA!

Last edited by a moderator: