Central Coast Romp Images

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twowheelnut

R.I.P. Our Motorcycling Friend
Reaction score
Here's some piccies of Toe's CCR ride, last Saturday:

Looking into the Central Valley from atop Hwy 33...

IMG_1558.jpg

IMG_1559.jpg

IMG_1561.jpg

Looking west, back into the oil fields off of Hwy 33, somewhere north of McKittrick, Gee, wada purty bike... :p :D

IMG_1562.jpg

Looking east, toward Fresno on 33 and the gathering storm clouds...

IMG_1566.jpg

Where the deer and the antelope play...

IMG_1568.jpg

IMG_1569.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Uh, Bob? Where are you? You da leader, man... :dntknw:

IMG_1577.jpg

Breaktime at 25...

IMG_1579.jpg

IMG_1581.jpg

Further proof of Metzeler Shit... :haha:

IMG_1582.jpg

"See, Bob? We tollya that tire would blow at a buck twenty, but would you listen? Nooooooooo!"

IMG_1584.jpg

"No, no, no! You're doing it all wrong!"

IMG_1585.jpg

"There ya go! Stab that bastard and put it outta of it's misery!"

IMG_1586.jpg

Ahhhh, The PCH. Schaweet!

IMG_1588.jpg

Looking north on PCH, just above San Simeon

IMG_1590.jpg

Splash!

IMG_1592.jpg

Er, wrong kinda bike, if you ask me!

IMG_1593.jpg

Succulents in bloom...

IMG_1594.jpg

The End :)

Video is downloaded, but I need J-Girl's piccies to edit in... wink, wink - nudge, nudge!

J girl has me uploading them to photobucket...let's see...157 images uploaded and only about 289 to go! pm me your email TWN and I'll send you a photobucket invite.

While I am uploading the all the pictures to photobucket, I can start our ride report. We had some distance to ride before we met all the other riders that our friend ToeCutter had assembled for our ride. We could have got there in just over 206 miles, but we went the 289 mile route instead!

Leaving from Orangevale, we took route 16 to Hwy 49. For all you non historian types, this is named 49 because of the gold rush 49ers. It traverses the lower altitude mountains of the Sierra from North to Central California. Simply put, this road rocks and if you want a great motorcycle vacation, you could plan it around 4 days on 49 and an extra day with OrangevaleFJR's BBQ and some special gems I can show you around these parts. Yup, that is a limited invite (meaning if we have guests every week I'll be in trouble!).

That said, to get to 16 you have to take Latrobe Road off of US 50. Here are some shots of Latrobe. Here is the one where you leave the developed areas, climb this hill, then drop into a beautiful valley. The feeling of climbing this hill is of leaving urban living behind and it's a good feeling.

DSC03969.jpg

You are in the foothills of the Sierra and in the Spring, these hills are green and the trees have new leaves. Even the old oak trees.

DSC03977.jpg

Upon descending into this valley, there is a creek. Deer Creek. The railroad bridge reminding us of busier days in these parts when gold ore was chugging along behind smoke billowing steam engines.

DSC03974.jpg

To understand the love of this green, perhaps you should look at shots of this area in July when all the grass is brown from lack of rain and 90+ heat. Now, the grass is green, flowers are in bloom and the creeks and rivers are either full, or flooding. Some areas such as Colorado where I grew up are brown in the winter and green in the summer. The opposite is true of this region of California.

DSC03983.jpg

Latrobe does offer some high speed sweepers that are very fun.

DSC03987.jpg

DSC03979.jpg

more to come :)

Those blooming flowers...you'll see more about 500 miles Shouthwest of these later:

DSC03996.jpg

To support mining, there was ranching and the ranching is still here.

DSC03998.jpg

I was going so fast I bent this tree over!

DSC04003.jpg

On this route, we were only on 16 for a very short while then we were on 49 Southbound. Along this route, here is one view that always surprises me. There just don't seem to be signs advertising this lake and all the sudden, it's there!

[
DSC04007.jpg

This is the road between Plymouth and Sutter Creek.

DSC04012.jpg

DSC04017.jpg

vroom.

DSC04014.jpg

More to come

49 has it's twisty spots, and it has it's long straights too. Even the straights are fun when things are looking so nice and you see people living in places you like to think about.

DSC04038.jpg

Hills in front tell of roads to come

DSC04040.jpg

The sky started losing it's cloud cover around Angels Camp.

DSC04039.jpg

Hey...there's another tree. Cows and horses hide from the sun in their shade. It sure wasn't hot. I guess they're worried about sunburn!

DSC04020.jpg

there's some too. and rocks. yup, them er rocks.

DSC04024.jpg

These water pipelines coming over the mountains always amaze me. So little of our water infrastructure is visible to us. Thinking merely of all the pipes that deliver water and how far they go always amazes me. Seeing infrastructure close to the source is always interesting to me.

DSC04041.jpg

DSC04044.jpg

That was cool...then there's 49...and it's about to get really interesting!

DSC04045.jpg

This section is a beginning of ever tightening turns and ever higher altitudes. If you like the twisties, this is a section that will get your heart pumping. If you follow the rise in the road to the next hill, you can see the road cutting through up there. Get ready for some fun!

DSC04055.jpg

and it just keeps getting better

DSC04060.jpg

and better...more to come

I love this road. 49.

DSC04065.jpg

DSC04064.jpg

4? 9

DSC04067.jpg

How far into the turn are you supposed to look? Sometimes, just as far as you can and use some good guessing too.

DSC04062.jpg

Look what's coming!

DSC04080.jpg

more to come

road

DSC04082.jpg

where we came from

DSC04088.jpg

From one set of flora to another can be just one hill apart

DSC04089.jpg

DSC04093.jpg

nice place

DSC04119.jpg

49 is done for now...more of our ride to come

From the end of 49 at 41, we turned left and went to get more gas, then to find Bass Lake Road so we could take it further south. We could have taken 41 to our destination, but there was more fun to be had in the hills.

Bass Lake Road turned into Power House Road and Auberry Road on its way into turning into 168. Sometimes you follow road names, sometimes you follow names of places. Bass Lake Road has no such sign, but there is a sign telling you how to get to Bass Lake. Auberry Road isn't the nameof the road at the North end. It has a number (222), but there is a sign directing you to Auberry.

California can be like that. In some states, everything is driven by numbers and names of roads and even the number on an exit. In California, they won't tell you South I-5, they'll tell you "Los Angeles" and you better know your geography. Well, how many of you know where Auberry is?

However, I am glad I figured right in this case becuase Bass Lake and Auberry roads were gems and 168 down from the hills into the valley was just stunning. Rides like this make you glad to be in California.

Yellow, purple, now white flowers in fields

DSC04129.jpg

Auberry is a really nice country lane

DSC04130.jpg

That open range sign was telling the truth. "Hi cow!"

DSC04131.jpg

"Hi bull...twist throttle...glad I bought the blue jacket and not the red!"

DSC04132.jpg

Auberry has a hydroelectric plant

DSC04134.jpg

You need water for that

DSC04138.jpg

Some fun turns too!

DSC04144.jpg

On 168 into the Central Valley of California, the scenery was stunning. I wish we got more pictures in this region. I think Toecutter should go out and take about 50 pics along this route and post them. Here are a few of our shots.

DSC04146.jpg

DSC04150.jpg

DSC04149.jpg

we then dropped into Fresno to visit Toecutter at his firestation. This is another area where we need help as we didn't take pics! OMG!

From there we went to our rendevous point: Harris Ranch at 198 and I-5. We were lucky and bisected two storms while on 33 heading Southwest. When we got to Harris Ranch, the sun was going down.

DSC04159.jpg

So I covered the FJR and retired in our room.

DSC04154.jpg

Harris Ranch is a nice place. I recommend it.

DSC04162.jpg

In the morning, I unveil Blue Belle and am glad that I cleaned the bugs off her the previous night.

DSC04163.jpg

The Ranch did a nice job with their gardens

DSC04165.jpg

Then we went to meet the group! Wow...we haven't even started the ride yet?!?!?!

Sonovamaveeche! Some of that 49, a wee bit of that 49, is vaguely familiar. Nice job, O-V and J-G!

You have mail!

This guy was waiting for us. TWN, thanks for your company at dinner the previous night. We both agreed that the steaks and prime rib at Harris Ranch were the best we had had in quite some time. I can remember a little place in Nebraska where I could get steaks that good, then another place in Illinois between St. Louis and Scott AFB that is reputed to have the best prime in the world. After having tried it, I'm not going to dispute their claim. It was simply the best. However, Harris Ranch comes in ranked just below them and that's really good.

It was a pleasure to have some off bike time with TWN and we sat there and quipped, barbed and jested all evening without ever saying anything productive or worthwhile.

;)

DSC04173.jpg

Luckily, we didn't have to use this line on our trip:

DSC04168.jpg

Rudy knows how to turn that throttle, and I bet he's used it before!

DSC04169.jpg

Here are a bunch or riders.

DSC04170.jpg

DSC04172.jpg

DSC04176.jpg

DSC04179.jpg

DSC04181.jpg

DSC04184.jpg

and our hosts

DSC04182.jpg

the group ride pictures are going to be delayed on account of sleep.

zzz zzz zzz

g'night for now

Until then, here's one of the best ones

Rudy, TC and Eve, then TWN

DSC04320.jpg

Holy shit! Wada grumpy lookin', Hair Club For Men needin', bike ridin' old codger! Glad y'all enjoyed his company as he did yours! :aacute: