CFR riding

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJR_pig

Bud Light Real Man of Genius
Reaction score
My apologies if this has been posted already - didn't see it in a search.

I just contacted my mc insurance (GEICO) to ensure I was covered in Canada. They assured me that I am, but informed me that they would have to snail mail me a card that is recognized by Canadian authorities. Apparently it is different. Who knew?

If you haven't thought about this, give your company a call.

It so easy, even a caveman could do it.

A great reminder, Pig. I got one from my insurance company for a trip through AB, YT, and BC back in 2007, and since then have asked for one every year when I renew, just to be prepared.

Got my Insurance card from Geico right after I signed for CFR - but a good reminder FJR pig
Are you saying my proof of insurance card required for the State of Illinois does not work in Canada...or are they one and the same card?

I'll call my insurance agent.

Last edited by a moderator:
US and Canadian insurance cards are not the same and yoiuyr US policy will cover you in Canada. Your US card is usually good for proof in Ontario. The farther you stray from the US border they will want a Canandian ID card.

Geez, I didn't even think about the health insurance card. That'd be my luck...I go down for the first time ever and I'm two feet north of the border w/o an eligible health insurance card... :eek:

I used to go to the bank for travel insurance.

But now my union has offered travel insurance to us at no cost. Well it is money that came back to them from the company (long story). The union decided using it for travel insurance was the best bang for the buck. Even pensioners get it.

Most Travel Agencies will have Medical Travel Insurance.

Generally for a weekend one shot trip it only costs $30.00 or you can get it for $100.00 for the year.

FYI state side Geico dudes..

Geico has Canadian cards but must be mailed.. 5 - 7 days snail mail.

So don't wait too long.

It'd be nice if you who are posting about your "added" medical insurance could post a link.
I'm just sayin'................
You can Google "trip insurance" and you get a load of companies that will offer medical coverage. Insuremytrip.com is one large one that will let you compare across different companies pretty easily.

Hi guys and gals: Whatever you carry as valid proof of motorcycle insurance in your home state will also be acceptable in every province of Canada. No need for a special "Canadian" card! Different deal however in Mexico!

Your US medical insurance may or may not cover you in Canada, but you will never be turned away from a Canadian hospital because of being unable to show proof of ability to pay. The "travel medical" policies referenced above are valuable as they will usually pay any Canadian medical bills directly, whereas you might have to front the money if you're relying on your US medical insurance.

somebody posted a link to some insurance coverage that included medivac coverage, I can't for the life of me find that post.

Anybody have it?

R