Change the handlebar angle - have you done it?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
QUOTE (Yzerman19 @ Jul 28 2009, 02:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Also if you add tennis racquet or baseball bat grip tape to your grips to make them larger diameter (for those of us with factory heated grips), you'll find your fingers don't have to grip as tight and your wrists relax. NOJ also makes a foam grip that velcros on over your grips, similar to Grip Puppies only I suspect more robust material.

As far as rotating bars forward, usually, wrist and shoulder pain are reduced by rotating them back and in which some risers do..... just a thought.

I used a strip of inner tube on my throttle grip (click on image for larger view):

Helped my grip and reduced wrist strain.

Last edited by a moderator:
On Sept 7th 2006 I posted that I had removed the one (of two) outside pins of my Gen II 2006 handlebars. This allowed me to not only move the bars up and back but also move only the ends of the bars to aline more with my hands as they hit the grips. These pins are only "line-up" pins and one was all that would be needed (in my opinion) as there is a large bolt that really holds the bars on. I have had then like this for over two years and over 10,000 miles with no problems. The first couple of months, I checked that they were still tight and found no problem.
My question is -- I know several of you did this adjustment and I was wondering if anyone has had any type of problem with the modification, as some worried. Before my wrists would begin hurting after a couple of hours. Now I am fine for the whole day. Please let me knnow if you have done this and if you had any issues. Thank You
I'm confused. I am experiencing the probblem you describe. I recently installed 3/4" Helibars risers on top of the original Helibars triple clamp (not the re-designed Helibars triple clamp that incorporated some change in the angle) and while all this has helped tremendously I still develop a "tennis elbow" type ache which I attribute to the inward positioning of my elbows relative to the grips. I saw what I believe to be the 2 pins you describe - at the base of the handlebar end which attaches to the risers/triple clamp, right? But, there are 2 bolts attaching my bars to the risers/triple clamp - a 12 mm and 8 mm bolt. It seems to me that I couldn't rotate the handlebar grip ends in a circular arc with any pins in place as long as both these bolts are in place. Assuming the center of rotation is the 12 mm bolt, both pins as well as the 8 mm bolt would have to be removed to rotate the grip ends in a circular arc. Am I missing something or are we talking about different parts of the bars? Thanks