Changing Gears without using the clutch

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

.paul

Reaction score
Hey All,

I tried searching this out, and most probably I just suck at searching; however, I couldn't find anything on the subject. So.....

The manual say it's a "No No", but is this one of those CYA "No No's" that Yamaha added to the owners manual, or will it really cause some damage to the transmission if you shift without using the clutch? Thoughts, opinions, pointless banter?

aaaaand go...

if you shift w/o the clutch the transmission will detonate into meeeeeelions of tiny pieces on either the first or second attempt.

Ok - just kidding about that part.

I, for one, have been shifting w/o the clutch for the past 35 years and never, ever had a damaged transmission because of it. Been doing it for 48k miles on the FJR and it shifts like buttah. Just give a little flick of the old right wrist to momentarily offload the power to the trans and snick it into the next gear.

I rarely use the clutch from 2nd gear on up. Rarely downshift w/o the clutch.

Now, I am talking normal, everyday riding - NOT HIGH RPM POWERSHIFTS.

I'm sure others will chime in and repeat my first line about possible damage but many of us have done and will continue to shift w/o the clutch.

Does this mean we are FJR-AE owner wannabees?

Last edited by a moderator:
Those with AE's shift all the time without a clutch! :)

So do I on my '06 A. Going into first is about the only time I use the clutch.

if you shift w/o the clutch the transmission will detonate into meeeeeelions of tiny pieces on either the first or second attempt.
Ok - just kidding about that part.

I, for one, have been shifting w/o the clutch for the past 35 years and never, ever had a damaged transmission because of it. Been doing it for 48k miles on the FJR and it shifts like buttah. Just give a little flick of the old right wrist to momentarily offload the power to the trans and snick it into the next gear.

I rarely use the clutch from 2nd gear on up. Rarely downshift w/o the clutch.

Now, I am talking normal, everyday riding - NOT HIGH RPM POWERSHIFTS.

I'm sure others will chime in and repeat my first line about possible damage but many of us have done and will continue to shift w/o the clutch.

Does this mean we are FJR-AE owner wannabees?
That's what I thought but I wasn't quite sure j/k

Seriously though, on occasions I will not use the clutch to up-shift, always use the clutch when down-shifting, though. What is your definition of power shifting, do you mean keeping the throttle pegged and kicking it into the next gear? If I've got the bike at WOT I'll roll off the throttle slightly before up-shifting and it goes into gear like "buttah."

Thanks for the info, I just wanted to make sure.

Thoughts, opinions, pointless banter?
iggy, and only iggy, can determine 'pointless banter... lol...

personally, i try to 'practice' clutch-less up shifts and down shifts in case some weird problem develops with one of my bikes...

butt, i don't see myself as ricky racer trying to ride 10/10ths...

clicky

clicky

A good article about "constant mesh." I have been using my clutch less and less lately as well. Most of what I read indicates that this is like an "oil" debate. There really is not a solid answer, but not using the clutch on a constant mesh transmission doesn't seem to be an issue.

Last edited by a moderator:
There was a thread, and or poll, on this not that long ago. I have been using the clutch less and less as I ride the FJR more. Clutch for going in 1st (Of course) and from 1st to 2nd most of the time. Almost never from there up. All down shifts are with the clutch.

Just out of curiosity, and to stir the pot. Are the guys who claim to shift without using the clutch also the guys who are most against having a bike without a clutch?

Phil

At the track with my ducati, I do not use the clutch on upshifts, and I am shifting at about 10k under full gas. Everyone I talk to at the track that is not in the beginners group is doing the same thing. You put a slight pressure on the shifter, blip the throttle, and it shifts very fast and very smooth. If it works at the track at high RPMs, I am betting it works fine for street driving. I only do it to make the shifts faster trying to be quicker on the track. I don't generaly shift that way on the road with either bike. I suppose if I wanted to race a Mustang GT on the street I might.

Kurt

I switch back and forth from my FJR to my dirt bike all the time. I only use the clutch on all the dirt bikes I've had for starting, stoping and top RPM shifts, up and down. I try to use the clutch on the FJR because it's a big street bike and I've got very smooth in my shifts. I do forget what bike I'm on especially in spirited riding (twisties) and don't use the clutch on the FJR. It shifts great and doesn't seem to care. I'm going to read up on the constant mesh and try to figure out what is best.

Here is one of the threads from the past on this topic. Based on the responses to this thread so far, it looks like the answer is still about the same.

clicky
clicky

A good article about "constant mesh." I have been using my clutch less and less lately as well. Most of what I read indicates that this is like an "oil" debate. There really is not a solid answer, but not using the clutch on a constant mesh transmission doesn't seem to be an issue.
Nice links, I'll have to check 'em out when I'm not at work.

Makes for much smoother changes and stops the pillion head butting you every time you use the clutch to change up. Easier to do at very low revs so practice that fist and when the 'knack' clicks in you can do it all the time.

I have always done it but not all the time. Sometimes I just do it the old fashioned way out of habit. Sometimes I just slightly dip the clutch.

I've actually found myself chaning gears a few times without the clutch on 'accident.' I had the shifter preloaded and 'accidentally' shifted gears before I had a chance to grab the clutch or there have been other times that I've just plain forgot to grab the clutch :guiltysmiley:

Just out of curiosity, and to stir the pot. Are the guys who claim to shift without using the clutch also the guys who are most against having a bike without a clutch?
Phil
Nope. I seriously thought about getting an AE, but decided against it. i like having a clutch, but could see having something like an AE someday in the future.

Regularly upshift on all of my bikes (street, race and dirt) without the clutch, just blip the throttle to unload the tranny momentarily and it slides into the next gear like silk. None of my race bikes have ever had any tranny issues. I found my clutches lasted longer on the race track, because the clutch plates didn't have to re-engage with each up shift.

I always use the clutch to downshift to prevent over-revving the engine. It gives you a safety margin to pull the clutch in if you are traveling at too high a speed for the gear you are trying to downshift to.