Chatterbox users

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MojaveFJR

Reaction score
Just got my power cord for the chatterbox. As you know it connects directly to the battery. How, where and why did you route the cable so you had easy access?

Was thinking of attempting to put a lighter adapter on it but see lots of bad reviews for doing this.

TIA

Mojave

I run mine from battery power. I was told that if I attempted to try hooking to the battery, I'd be swamped with engine noise. I was told that by the PO who tried. I just took his word for it & never tried.

Good luck. I will be watching this thread for more info,

Heidi

Guess I will be the first.

Plan forward is this:

Connect it to the battery

Store excess cable and fuse down in that little cubbie behind the fuse box.

Make my weekend runs and see how it pans out.

Order lighter adapter that I can wire into, then plug into the glove box cubbie when needed. Yes, the door will close without doing damage to the wire.

Okay, took all of about 10 minutes.

Fired it up, turned on the chatter box. No noise from the motorcycle.

Still don't like that cable hanging down in front of the tank. Will work that option as time allows.

When I get a road trip in with this set up will inform how it went.

No more dead chatterbox. :yahoo:

If you are using the DC hardwire accessory from Chatterbox it has a noise filter to prevent noise from your electrical system. I've been planning on installing one myself so I dont have to charge the damn thing when on a multi day trip. Keep us posted as to how well it works.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wish I had a picture...

I ran a Chatterbox for years. I simply, very simply, ran the cable under the plastic by the battery, under the front of the tank, back out on the left side of the tank and had it laying low on the left side of the tank along the bodywork.. You could tuck the jack into the bodywork there and it stayed fine. I ran my Chatterbox mainly as an amplifier for my radio or ipod. Never any ignition or other random noise, thogh it would pick up my cellphone searching for a signal once in a while.

As a side note, the guy at Chatterbox said that the power cord would only prolong the discharge and that I would have to eventually charge the Chatterbox from the wall. What I found was that I could run it indefinitely from the bike power cord, and it would even slowly charge the battery. I don't know what that guy was riding.

I just recently stopped using my Chatterbox as the battery finally wouldn't accept a charge, after about 5 years of very regular use. I moved the cable back up and out of there since I wasn't using it anymore.

paul from Minnesota

Mr Paul, thanks for the tip. Will try that option.

As it turned out I needed this item on the run to the coast. THink I too have a weak battery as the GF was running her iPod all day without issues.

THere was NO noise from the ignition. I did pick up some commications but with all the rangers, fire crews and, who knows who is using those little handhelds but it wasn't much. No worries on that end.

One thing of note, it does need to be moved on the left side as this is where the chatterbox is on the helmet of course and stretching the cable across the tank like that I found my left arm caught it while getting a drink from the camel back and while hitting the local twisties the cord actually came out of the chatterbox.

Also found as Mr. Paul said, it charged the chatterbox as well as it was pugged in to the motorcycle a good 1.5 hrs before disengaging the bike as a power source.

So, don't be afraid of a direct tap on the battery.