Cheap FZ1 Replacement Mirrors

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJRPittsburgh

Rally Addict
Reaction score
While at NERDS last weekend, Brian was showing me his mirrors he purchaced from Race Crafters. They are Emgo's cheapy copy of FZ1 mirrors with a carbon fiber look on the back side of the mirror. Very nice, Thanks Brian! I found them at Amazon a little cheaper than Brian got them for. The pic of the mirror at Amazon does not show the proper item, but believe me, they are. Amazon has the wrong pic. This is the proper pic: Click Here I installed them last evening and they are really sweet. I did a test ride last night at high speeds on the slab and on rough roads and there was absolutely no vibration. Brian told me that was his experience as well.

I got the pair delivered with no tax and no shipping for $46.86 from Amazon:

Links are Here and Here

1 "Emgo 20-80513 Carbon Right Side Replacement Mirror for Yamaha FZ1"

Automotive; $23.43

In stock but may require an extra 1-2 days to process.

Sold by: Amazon.com

1 "Emgo 20-80514 Carbon Left Side Replacement Mirror for Yamaha FZ1"

Automotive; $23.43

In stock but may require an extra 1-2 days to process.

Sold by: Amazon.com

There were positive and negative reviews for cheap FZ1 mirrors here on the forum. I'm happy with these for the money. YMMV. The mirrors do not fold in BTW, but that isn't a deal breaker for me.

Jeff

Hopefully you got a good set, very few have had good luck with the Emgo mirrors. Loose glass and bad internal pivots have been common complaints in the past. Perhaps Emgo has improved their quality, that happens sometimes. There is a difference between inexpensive and cheap, up until now Emgo has been cheap.

It was good to see you again at NERDS! Hopefully your mirrors will work out for you.

Ever the pessimist... not folding may not be a deal breaker, but it will be a mirror breaker, perhaps a front subframe breaker, first time the bike gets dropped.

The carbon look has a nice appearance, though.

Hopefully you got a good set, very few have had good luck with the Emgo mirrors. Loose glass and bad internal pivots have been common complaints in the past. Perhaps Emgo has improved their quality, that happens sometimes. There is a difference between inexpensive and cheap, up until now Emgo has been cheap.

It was good to see you again at NERDS! Hopefully your mirrors will work out for you.
I feel pretty good about this model. I've had emgo replacement mirrors on other bikes with good luck. One complaint I've heard about lower end mirrors is that if you adjust them many times, they start to work their way loose at the ball joint. I usually leave my mirrors alone once I've found the proper adjustment angle for them and have had good results. One thing that can be done with mirrors that get loose in the ball joint is to spray some hair spray on the ball joint and work the mirrors around and into the proper position. This will help to keep them in place. Appling some locktite on the ball joint works as well.

These mirrors, although cheap (inexpensive), seem to be nice and tight. They certainly aren't the FZ1 stock mirrors, but I could buy 3 sets of these for the same price and still have some change in my pocket.

Great seeing you again as well. NERDS was fabulous!

Jeff

Last edited by a moderator:
Ever the pessimist... not folding may not be a deal breaker, but it will be a mirror breaker, perhaps a front subframe breaker, first time the bike gets dropped.

The carbon look has a nice appearance, though.
I'll try to remember not to drop the bike then. :p

Ever the pessimist...
Hey, I offered, "Perhaps Emgo has improved their quality, that happens sometimes." I meant that, companies that intend to be in business tomorrow do improve. Or else...

If you search on Emgo and read all the posts my caution isn't without some basis. If some of the newbies come across this thread I though that I would add learned/earned caution.

Ever the pessimist...
Hey, I offered, "Perhaps Emgo has improved their quality, that happens sometimes." I meant that, companies that intend to be in business tomorrow do improve. Or else...

If you search on Emgo and read all the posts my caution isn't without some basis. If some of the newbies come across this thread I though that I would add learned/earned caution.
Absolutely understood. I'll be sure to add an updated review as time goes on. Just got back from another 75 mile test run. Love them so far. It sure is nice to be able to see behind me for a change. The difference in visiblilty to the rear using an FZ1 style mirror is so far superior to the stock Gen2 mirrors. The mirrors also look very nice on the bike. As Ionbeam and I have cautioned, YMMV.

Last edited by a moderator: