Cheap GPS

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks interesting, and the price makes it appealing. I'm interested in others opinions on this one too :unsure:

Cheaper yet

compass_on_map.jpg

Sorry. :p

I've have a garmin 340c (comparable to a Tom Tom), its not waterproof but its got a very easy touch screen menu system. If it rains I put it in my padded zip lock bag. I usually don't get lost in the rain, because I just pull over and wait for it to stop :yahoo: .

I was rained on last Sunday coming out of OKC. Garmin StreetPilot 2610 was still showing the road ahead and my speed. I really like that box. It's been a great buy, even if I'm not too proficient with MapSource software.

Fixing to pull the trigger on Europe maps for vacation at the end of April. They're expensive, aber Ich halt nicht an, zum fragen auf den weg. Getting lost and asking for directions is the same in any language. :glare:

Of course, meine Frau had a different opinion on the wisdom of that expenditure, but on some things I don't give in. Now if only I could talk her into spending the two weeks riding Europe on a rented bike, instead of visiting family...

Some battles are not worth fighting. :D

Of course, meine Frau had a different opinion on the wisdom of that expenditure, but on some things I don't give in. Now if only I could talk her into spending the two weeks riding Europe on a rented bike, instead of visiting family...

Some battles are not worth fighting. :D

Shit, hearing the attitude between the lines, did we marry the same German? Mine's from Duisburg and has the explosive Italian temper of her father.

Seriously, slip your helmet into the suitcase (she'll never notice, right?) and day-rent when you need some breathing space. Most dealers seem to do it over there.

As for the GPS, I have an old hiking unit with basic street maps that I keep in my pocket. I ride until I want to take a break a friend even named it for when I check it. It's the "Fugawee"

Bob

I run a Garmin Quest and have used their GPS 45, III, and V plus have been using Trimble high end mapping units for years for work. The real answer is, it's the MAP under the GPS that counts. Any GPS will show I95 from Miami to Maine, but does it show where Rt92 switches from Centre to Union County? After that comes ease of use which is totally in the eye of the beholder.

Meine Frauline is from NRW, near Aachen. Little piss-ant town called Grotenrath, near another little piss-ant town called Tevern, which just happens to be near the longest runway in Germany, so I hear.

I was stationed there before the AWACs moved in, guarding nukes. Pershing missiles. Easy duty. I hardly glow in the dark, anymore. :eek:

My, did we party our asses off! Two miles from the Holland border, not far from Moechengladbach, Koeln, Aachen, Dusseldorf. Hell, I rode a cafe 750 Honda, Magura clip-ons, nasty loud 4-into-1, rearsets, custom saddle, Rickman race fairing. Running the best bias-ply tires money could buy back then, the Dunlop K81. Crashed maybe 10 times in two years, until I realized I wasn't Fast Freddy Spencer. Once I stayed within my limits, I quit crashing. Funny how that works. :lol:

Now, 29 years later, and she is still a supremely competent passenger. Hardly know she's back there, and won't protest until we reach crazy speeds, which we never, well, hardly ever, reach anymore.

So, anyway, gotta spring for the Europe maps, 'cause I ain't asking for directions. Und Deutsch ist kein problem fur mich. Wir sprechen Deutsch fast immer.