Cheap sliders? Where to put them?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bruinFJRguy

Reaction score
All,

I've been unloading my wallet awfully quick lately. I've now got this beautiful FJR but need some protection. I have 2 questions:

Does anyone have experience with something like this? https://pages.ebay.com/motors/link/?nav=item.view&id=281946381557&alt=web

Also, other than the one spot by the engine, are there other key points to mount stuff to protect all the good stuff?

Thanks! (I'll be searching threads too.)

A mate was using them, had the first bike written off as they deformed the engine mounts.

Had his second bike written off again.

He doesn't use sliders that mount into the frame anymore.

Get at least a 2 point or 3 point attachment, eg Canyon Cages.

The single spindle type sliders are more like tip-over guards, they won't protect much if they are called to duty at any significant speed. If you are looking for something inexpensive and don't care that the spindle type sliders don't do much then they are all just about equal.

Try searching +crash +protectors (using the + to include more than one related word in the search). You may also want to go through the Classified Ads - For Sale here on the Forum and see if any are being sold.

The longer ones are more likely to cause frame issues. If you will use sliders with a frame attachment, look into OES which are short and fat. Less leverage to bend something.

I have them and during my accident, they took a good impact and protected my plastics without any frame issues.

Reasonably priced as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
bruin

3or4 years ago I had the same sliders and dropped the bike on the right side in soft New Hampshire ground and that slider snapped off at the bolt head. My frame was OK and I had slight scratches to the newly painted right saddlebag. Later that day dropped it again in a parking lot when my foot dropped in a hole. Without the slider I added more scratches on that bag and the right mirror but no other damage. Except for the mirror the damage was similar with and without the slider making me wonder how valuable they really are.

Since then I had a machinist friend make new sliders from Delrin similar to the chinese ones but they still look new since I haven't done any more drop tests. If I was buying them again I would probably look at the shorter style like the OES ones.

Thanks for the tips. The canyon cage is going to have to wait... ($$$)

I'm looking at the OES ones. It looks like they come in two lengths. Do you guys think shorter ones are better? Based on the discussion of frame twisting, and general principles of leverage, it seems like the shorter would be better. But do they stick out enough to protect?

Oh, and my bike is an '08, so this will work.

Thanks for the tips. The canyon cage is going to have to wait... ($$$)
I'm looking at the OES ones. It looks like they come in two lengths. Do you guys think shorter ones are better? Based on the discussion of frame twisting, and general principles of leverage, it seems like the shorter would be better. But do they stick out enough to protect?

Oh, and my bike is an '08, so this will work.
I have the regular ones (Not extended) and they work fine, look fine, and protected the side plastics fine when she was dropped ...

IMG_20160401_100936.jpg

IMG_20160401_100830.jpg

When it comes to delrin pogo style frame sliders the cheep ones arent any wosre than those higher priced ones its just 3 parts ... a hunk of solid delrin drilled and taperd with a metal insert and a metric socket cap bolt. if you pay alot then your paying for the name and the look.

Careful, some of the cheap ones don't have the metal insert, so it's impossible to maintain correct torque on those bolts.