Cheap Stem Stand Option

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rcsnclh

Reaction score
Ok, first things first, I'm cheap. But I think the TechMount Stem Stand is the perfect place to mount my Ipod. But a little too pricey for me. So, has anyone simply drilled out the center of the steering stem nut, tapped it to the thread pitch of the Ramount mirror adaptor ball and used their inexpensive arms and mounting stuff?

Seems like the cheap bastard way to achieve that same effect as the Techmount. Not as pretty, but much less expensive.

Ok 2nd question, I'm lazy. I'm wondering if I could just perform this while the nut is in place? I know, metal filings and thread cutting oil everywhere, possibly into the steering bearings. I haven't checked out my manual for schematics, but on my dirt bikes, the gas cap vent goes into the center of the nut and any gas that overflows goes straight through and doesn't touch bearings anywhere.

Thoughts? :unsure:

I wouldn't drill it out on the bike. Not that there is anything under it you would hurt but because you won't get a straight hole in the center. Maybe it doesn't matter to you but it would bug the heck out of me if it were crooked. The bearing is under a couple of washers and sealed so the shavings wouldn't really be a problem. But what if the drill bit breaks and you then slip and drop the drill on your tank! NOT GOOD! Remove the nut and use a drill press if possible. It is safer and you will bet a better hole to tap. I also remeber somewhere in the past that the cap is "thin". So you may not get many threads. A careful measurement would tell you if it is thick enough. The RAM ball is 1/4-20 IIANM. So you would want ~ 1/4" thickness for a good thread to hold.

And there IS a difference from '03 to '04 FJR stem nuts. The '04 is deeper and thinner than the '03. The '03 nut can not be used on a '04-'06. I found this when I ordered the Stem Stand for my '04. StemStand needed to rework thier mounts for the '04 FJR. They replaced mine after I pointed out the differences to them. If you have the wrong nut it will bottom out on the top of the stearing stem and not apply the proper tension on the underlying washers. So don't use an '03 nut on anything but an '03. Other stearing top nuts may work but carefull inspection would be in order....

Good luck..... I think I remember Kevin Wilson from TX doing what you want to do. Maybe he will see this...

Kevin??

John

1. You didn't mention what type of iPod you have. If it's a hard drive based unit, this is probably a bad idea from the get-go. Rigid mounting of an iPod has been know to kill the hard drive prematurely from the vibrations.

2. The machinist in me definatly says that it would be damn near impossible to do on the bike. I would do it this way:

a. remove

b. Mount the nut in a lathe, and turn a flat spot on top of the dome the same diameter or slightly larger than the base of the ram-ball.

c. center bore and tap the hole.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's a Mini (6gb hard drive unit). I know mounting it to the bike is not the best, but I'm wondering how others do it. I usually don't take the tank bag with me unless it's a long trip, so that's out. I've also worn it on my belt, but trying to adjust volume, make other adjustments is a little awkward, plus I get a little claustrophobic with too many cables chaining me to the bike. I've put my hand on the stem nut while riding and the vibration is minimal. Jarring hits from the road is what I worry about most at this mounting location. :(

My cheap little MP3 player came with a velcro arm band. I wrap that around the clutch master cylinder and put the player right there.

Also, someone else mentioned the cap being to thin, you could put a locknut on the inside (if there is room) to make it "thicker".

Lee

At least on the '03, the nut is definitely too thin to just put threads in it. But, the way I did it was to remove it drill a hole and place a large washer behind it and then a nut onto the stemstand. I'm using it for my XM radio, the original Delphi SkiFi unit.

Grady A. Dunham

Just buy the Techmount. It's expensive but it's really nice. I bought one with both stem lengths. You will be happy with it.

Well, you can't be as cheap as you claim because you actually have an IPOD. :p I just hum to myself.......

I carried my laptop in my side bag last summer. I packed the bag with some foam but the laptop is big enough that it was resting on hard plastic in a few spots. After a few months I started getting bad sectors on the hard drive and eventaully the boot sector went bad and I had ro replace the drive. Not sure exactly what the cause was but I suspect it was damaged from the rough treatment it got in the side bag. So, hard mounting of a device with a drive is probably not a good idea.

https://www.radioshack.com/product/index.js...oductId=2104649

I keep my ipod in my tank bag, in the glove box, in my luggage, or in my jacket pocket and just use the remote.

The RF signal goes through walls, so, you can stash it pretty much anywhere on the bike.

You can see where I sometimes keep the remote (it has a belt hook clamp)

p2160012.jpg

Alright! $29.99 and no drilling or buying of expensive parts required. I'm sure that I will have a TecMount on the bike in the future, but right now I just want to listen to some tunes in a relatively low $$$ manner.

Thanks to everyone, but Randy wins!!!!! :D

I have to agree with S&P

I am pretty sure that any hard drive mounted directly to the motorcyle without substantial vibration isolation will kill a hard drive. No matter how smooth the bike feels to your touch.

I drilled the stock stem nut and installed a RAM ball to mount my GPS. The crown of the nut is to flimsy for this app. I really didn't want the entire Tech mount so I ordered the stem nut only for my '03. Perfect!