Cheap Tool for Front Wheel Removal

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bobcattoo

Reaction score
For those doing their own Tire changes; a 19mm or 3/4" Allen Wrench is required. I noticed several viable substitutes on FJRTech. But I happened to work in a Machine Shop for many years and collected many scrap pieces of steel bar stock.

One little 4" piece happened to be 3/4". Fits perfectly into the front axle. I suspect many Machine Shops and Metal Fabrication Shops would have the Bar Stock and be happy to give you a scrap piece or cut you off 4" for a buck.

Just a suggestion.

I like the back end of a spark plug socket myself. I have one that the extension fits in from the front. Also works great for changing plugs....

That is cool to machine your own tools or parts but for us none machinists, $13 for a cool 19mm x 1/2 drive, didn't break the bank. I'm sure there are some cheaper online, but I needed it quickly form our local tool and fastener store. Just sayin'

Last edited by a moderator:
I ran with Toecutter for a long time on this one. I use to use the spark plug socket for both the front, and the rear axles. It did take a bit of "finessing" to get it to fit proper, but I believe that's how the tool was designed. I've since moved on to a Bike Johny tool that I picked up from a fellow forum member awhile back. Ya gotta admit tho, the idea of 3/4 bar stock is very creative.

Harbor Freight has a set of long, large 1/2 inch drive Allens for cheap, under $15 on sale, and they haven't broken yet.. H6-H14 which works on the rear axle..for the front I welded a 19mm nut to a piece of flat stock..

For those doing their own Tire changes; a 19mm or 3/4" Allen Wrench is required. I noticed several viable substitutes on FJRTech. But I happened to work in a Machine Shop for many years and collected many scrap pieces of steel bar stock.One little 4" piece happened to be 3/4". Fits perfectly into the front axle. I suspect many Machine Shops and Metal Fabrication Shops would have the Bar Stock and be happy to give you a scrap piece or cut you off 4" for a buck.

Just a suggestion.
Yep,Got the machinist at work to lop me a piece of 3/4" brass hex stock and it works fine.
Yep -- 2: 'cept Aluminum. Works the same and is much lighter. A couple inches long with a hole thru the flats on one end for a 'Tommy Bar'. I carry it in the FJR's tool pouch.

"'cept Aluminum. Works the same and is much lighter."

The brass bar was in the stock pile and was free, I'll skip lunch and make up for it. :rolleyes: