Cheap trunk setup

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gramps

Reaction score
Awhile back there were a couple of topics on being able to use a tail bag as a smuggler on the Gen II bikes but wouldn't work on the Gen I's. I wanted to add some extra storage space & thought the tail bag that was used for the smuggler (Nelson Rigg CL-100) would work just as well as a inexpensive truck for me. So here's what I did....

First of all you will need some type of after market rack, in my case I already had garauld's sport rack installed.

Material:

Platform for the tail bag - I used a scrap piece of aluminum 11 1/2" W x 12 7/8" L x 1/16"

Approximately 32" x 1" nylon strap & 10" mini bungee cord.

FJRTruck013.jpg

Next I drilled a couple of holes into my rack for two studs & into the aluminum platform for anchor points. (Size & location can be what ever works for the rack you have.)

FJRTruck012.jpg

You'll also noticed I drilled a couple of small holes in the middle opposite from the anchor holes. I used a wire tie here & looped it around the end tip of the rack to secure it in place. I put a small plastic bumper between the rack & the underside of the platform to keep from scratching to the rack

FJRTruck008.jpg

Now all that's needed is to put it on.

FJRTruck007.jpg

Tuck the flaps & clip them together completely under the bikes rack & the after market rack.

FJRTruck006.jpg

I wrapped the nylon strap around the bottom side of the bikes rack & then used two of the four mounting hooks supplied with the bag.

You can also see how I used the mini bungee for a little added security.

FJRTruck005.jpg

And the finished setup.

FJRTruck002.jpg

FJRTruck004.jpg

FJRTruck001.jpg

So far it's worked very well with no problems.

Looks good. Goes well with the other stuff on your bike...

But, how much did all this cost really?

Rack , Bag, that "scrap" piece of aluminum , (for those that don't have one about) the assorted bolts , cords and straps??

And how much is a Givi set up cost for the bike?

Looks good. Goes well with the other stuff on your bike...

But, how much did all this cost really?

Rack , Bag, that "scrap" piece of aluminum , (for those that don't have one about) the assorted bolts , cords and straps??

And how much is a Givi set up cost for the bike?
I think garauld's rack was around $160, the bag was $64.18 (includes shipping), not sure what the aluminum is worth...maybe $20. Traffic sign aluminum material would work fine too if you can find it. $1.00 for the nuts & bolts, and the strap & bungee cord I had laying around...maybe worth $ 4.00.

So total around $250.

A Givi setup for my bike is considerably more, around $460. But there's nothing wrong with going that route either.

So total around $250.
A Givi setup for my bike is considerably more, around $460. But there's nothing wrong with going that route either.

$250 is not bad. I however have the Yamaha trunk (bought it with the bike) and as spoiled as I am with using it, there are times I wish I had a regular rack to haul things that do not quite fit in a hard case.

What I would like is perhaps a small rack that would bolt to the top of the case. Seen them on Goldwings, would guess there is one out there that would work on the Yami trunk....

KM

I bought a CL-150 for the idea of using it as the poor man's smuggler, but so far I haven't mounted it there. It's been on my Garauld rack, sans the aluminum plate, which would offer more support...

Your setup looks great Gramps!!

Last edited by a moderator: