Cheapo GPS

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm loving my iPhone 3GS with Google Maps and being able to put it in the plastic "sheet" on my tank bag. It has a circle that is your current location and then you follow the directed "line" on the map for the directions you need. It also has different businesses that are close by and weather and everything. All the apps on the iphone are awesome! They have also come out with a turn by turn voice command app from Garmin and some other company for it as well. It is a $39.00 app right now but looks amazing. I have not seen the need to get that app as I am quite happy with the Google maps free app. Even when I am out of ATT coverage I can still follow the saved route on Google Maps. It has been awesome for me.

I know that is purchasing a new cell phone and possibly a new contract with a cell company but I have found the iPhone to be an incredible addition to my everyday life at work and at play. Anyway, enough of this commercial! Check out TigerDirect.com as well and do a search for Motorcycle and you will see several things that they offer on a closeout pricing discount. I have used that site for several purchases from TV's to computers to projectors to my current Magellan GPS in my car. Great site.

Good luck!

I've never been able to listen to music on my bike, the best I've managed to do while trying a dozen different headphones and earphones and earcanalphones is to get something that sounds like music mixed with white noise. If I turn the volume up it is painful and dangerous. I love music way too much to consider what I can hear on the bike to be even slightly satisfactory. So, I subject myself to the far more horrible effects of my singing voice. Lucky for me, the white noise actually improves my singing almost as much as not having it at all.
If you want to come off the coin a bit, you might want to look into Shure e-5 in ear earphones. They are the bomb!! I use them every day just about. I am a worship leader at a church and we have in ear monitoring system. These are the best out of every ear bud I have ever tried. I have tried them all...

They are expensive though but I will say that I had a problem with the wiring on one set and I sent it back under warranty and within a week they sent me a brand new pair. No questions asked. I then broke the post that the foam or plugs go on and did the same thing, sent them back and got another brand new set back.

Great customer service and awesome quality. BTW, they were leaps and bounds better then the most expensive BOSE in ears I tried. The Bass driver on the Shure's is a much higher quality than the BOSE.

Just my two cents...

Here you go... very reliable, waterproof, and doesn't have much of a power draw.

compass.jpg

Actually, I have a 2820 now, and love it. It may not be the latest and greatest, but I don't know what more I could get out of a GPS, unless it was going to steer the bike for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you want to come off the coin a bit, you might want to look into Shure e-5 in ear earphones. They are the bomb!! I use them every day just about. I am a worship leader at a church and we have in ear monitoring system. These are the best out of every ear bud I have ever tried. I have tried them all...
They are expensive though but I will say that I had a problem with the wiring on one set and I sent it back under warranty and within a week they sent me a brand new pair. No questions asked. I then broke the post that the foam or plugs go on and did the same thing, sent them back and got another brand new set back.

Great customer service and awesome quality. BTW, they were leaps and bounds better then the most expensive BOSE in ears I tried. The Bass driver on the Shure's is a much higher quality than the BOSE.

Just my two cents...
The background wind noise attenuation of ANY in ear speaker is crappy compared to an attenuating plug. The best you can expect is around 20 dB for one that fits you perfectly and doesn't get dislodged by donning your helmet. The problem is that dB is a log scale, so earplugs that get 30 dB attenuation are 10 times quieter than those 20 dB ear speakers.

It matters, especially when you already have tinnitus.

I'm getting really tired of answering the damn phone and nobody is there... ;)