Check Engine Light

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I started my 2016 FJR 1300 A before I began to tear it down and repair the front stay. I took off my exhaust to put on Two Brothers Carbon Fiber mufflers. I changed the oil, plugs, rear oil, and anti freeze. Then, I removed my K & N air filter, cleaned it out and reinstalled it. The bike is all back together and before I put the pipes back on, I started it to balance out the oil and anti freeze levels. I ended up with a check engine light. After buttoning everything up I ran it again and the light is still on. I believe it was caused by not having the exhaust cans on when I originally started it. How can I reset the light and see if it goes away for good. There are no fault codes. It runs and sounds good with no outlandish noises. All lights and turn signals work, and there is nothing obvious. One other thing I am having issues with is the rear brake goes all the way down when depressed and will not stop the bike. Front brakes work great. I am going to perform a brake and clutch flush but would the rear brake case a check engine light to come on?

Last edited:
At the minimum, you have to tell us what model year. Interpretation of engine codes depends on generation. Also, anything else you did. I doubt missing mufflers would do anything. Does it seem to start and run normally? Did you take it for a ride?

At the minimum, you have to tell us what model year. Interpretation of engine codes depends on generation. Also, anything else you did. I doubt missing mufflers would do anything. Does it seem to start and run normally? Did you take it for a ride?
I did take it for a ride, feels normal except the rear brake pedal goes all the way down. As stated in my initial post, I started it after the oil and anti freeze change to adjust the fluid levels. My reason for working on it in the first place was to replace the stay, which meant I had to remove the Cowling 1, the headlamp assembly, the motor, and several connectors. I had both the fenders off as well so my turn signals were disconnected. I spoke to a mechanic friend and he stated that normally this would throw initial codes. It is a 2016, I have a manual for it, but I don't have any codes showing. My 2006 would automatically flash a code in the right hand of the display when I had an issue. I really only need to see if I can clear the engine light and if it goes away, this confirms my thoughts. If it doesn't go away, then I have an issue.

I can't tell you much about codes on a Gen III +. All electronic bits appear to be working? Including windshield drive etc.?

For the rear brake, I would start by bleeding the circuit. Do the lower front right linked piston using the rear brake pedal and rear fluid reservoir first. Then do the rear caliper...

A CEL is only triggered by engine sensors. Not headlights, not a windshield motor and not a headlight assembly. If you ran the engine with the O2 sensor disconnected, that would set a code. If it's a "hard" code ie: the problem is still a problem as seen by the ECU, the light will remain lit. If it's now history or a "soft" code, the ECU will reset the light after several key cycles (I forget the exact number). You can manually reset any codes using an ALDL reader tool. I use an adapter cable and the same ALDL "dongle" that I use on my car. The "dongle" connects to my phone via Bluetooth and I have the Torque Pro app on the phone to read codes as well as reset them. If the problem that caused the code has been resolved, the light will be off. If the code gets reset, the light will still light.

Gen III+ FJRs, so 2016+ went to OBDII system. So you need an OBDII adapter and reader to reset the CEL and read whatever error codes there are. It won't reset itself. After years of owning earlier FJRs where you can access the diagnostic system through the dash readout I had to go through this new learning curve myself when my '23 FJR's CEL came on.

You can get the adapter and a bluetooth reader for cheap from AliExpress:

For the OBD adapter, choose the Yamaha 4 Pin: OBD Adapter

For the OBD Reader get the Bluetooth: OBD Reader

Then, you will need an app on your phone to get all the readings and be able to reset stuff. Everyone seems to recommend the Torque app. I think you need to pay a marginal amount to get the functionality you need.

Gen III+ FJRs, so 2016+ went to OBDII system. So you need an OBDII adapter and reader to reset the CEL and read whatever error codes there are. It won't reset itself. After years of owning earlier FJRs where you can access the diagnostic system through the dash readout I had to go through this new learning curve myself when my '23 FJR's CEL came on.

Then, you will need an app on your phone to get all the readings and be able to reset stuff. Everyone seems to recommend the Torque app. I think you need to pay a marginal amount to get the functionality you need.
Thanks. I'll do that.

Thanks. I'll do that.

SkooterG,

My automotive mechanic has a Zeus scanner, all the bells and whistles, and it reads motorcycle OBDII. I ordered the adapter from AliExpress and he said he'd run the diag for me. He believes that it was an O2 Sensor popping a code because the exhaust cans were off when I started it so this should clear and not come back. Thanks for the advice and words of reason.

To my thinking, running without only the cans off should not trip the O2 sensor. But, what do I know. This whole OBD thing is new to me. It took me a while, but I finally figured out what tripped my CEL light and gave me three error codes (All kind of weird ones): My habit (bad?) of turning off the engine run switch while in gear and coasting down a hill or to a stop. Never any issue doing that on any FJRs prior to 2016. Also, when that CEL came on another weird symptom was that I was unable to change the ES shock preload. Screen wouldn't even come up. WTF? So far, I am not impressed with OBD and don't consider it an improvement.

Now, if I can only figure out why my heated grips are no longer working....... Grrrr......

Best of luck.