Cheesey 06 Keys

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dcarver

Reaction score
At work, key in pocket with change.

Pull key from pocket, bent almost to a 45 degree angle.

Don't recall any pain in the leg sufficient to bend a key..

Take key to flat surface, bend it back using my *thumb*.

Jeepers - cheap as grade butter key material.

Mananna a trip to the locksmith is in order for new good key.

At work, key in pocket with change.Pull key from pocket, bent almost to a 45 degree angle.

Don't recall any pain in the leg sufficient to bend a key..

Take key to flat surface, bend it back using my *thumb*.

Jeepers - cheap as grade butter key material.

Mananna a trip to the locksmith is in order for new good key.
Funny you should mention this.

Yesterday, I leave work and walk out to the bike. I grab the key out of my pocket and look at it and, WTF? I was briefly afraid I wouldn't be able to straighten it without breaking it. I guess it's time to memorize my keycode.

Yamaha is know for their cheap ass keys. I had about 6 for my bike and I have 8 for my boat

It's a pretty long key, always prone to being more easily bent. 2 things here. Any key with a deep notch cut in it will bend more easily than one with shallow ones-not unique to the Yami key. Mine has all shallow notches, and has yet to be a problem. Also, keys are made of plated brass-soft metal, needed so that the key wears rather than the pins in the lock. If you have a key with deep cuts, be aware, take more care and it won't be a problem. I see this often with the longer keys now used in automotive, not just this bike.

What he said...

Keys are soft so wear is on the cheaply replaceable key and not the ignition and lock cylinders. Also, soft keys bend -and hard keys break.

I imagine our Canadian keys would cost more to replace though, because as far as I know, we have the micro chip for the immobilizer -and the USA bikes don't.

What he said...
Keys are soft so wear is on the cheaply replaceable key and not the ignition and lock cylinders. Also, soft keys bend -and hard keys break.

I imagine our Canadian keys would cost more to replace though, because as far as I know, we have the micro chip for the immobilizer -and the USA bikes don't.
The USA keys do not have the micro chip immobilizer, but they do have the little button for 'remote start'... I can't wait to get mine and try it out... :)

I have bent my key a couple of times while opening the panniers. These keys are unnecessarily long. I had one made that doesn't have the plastic part on the top so I can keep a spare in my wallet. Next time I'm at a locksmith I'll see if he has a blank that is not so long.

Do yourselves a favor and go have 4-5 copies made... keep one in your tankbag, one at home, and a spare handy for whenever the original cheese breaks.

In a time BFJRF (Before FJR Forum) someone quipped: If your key gets bent, set it on a table, bend up. In the morning it will be flat again. :rolleyes:

I went to my local locksmith and we went through several types of Yamaha compatible blanks. I ended up with a key that was stronger than the stock and it also has a beefier shank past the keyed part. Haven't bent one yet, haven't broken one yet. Dunno how many times the key has been in/out of bags and ignition over the last 21k miles.

Please post the key manufactuer name and the key number for the non-OEM replacment keys. This will allow us to order these key blanks through our local locksmiths.

No cheese key: ilco X248____YM63 reverse side has a big H stamped on it (quite crooked too). Perhaps the most telling letters on the key are -- USA -- ;)

While the key is long, it is strong. And, it is a brass based key. My wife pretzeled the Yamaha keys almost immediately but hasn't hurt the ol' YM63s in 2 years :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
While the key is long, it is strong. And, it is a brass based key. My wife pretzeled the Yamaha keys almost immediately but hasn't hurt the ol' YM63s in 2 years :lol:
And where, pray tell, was she inserting these keys that so pretzeled them? Or don't we wanna know? :D

Those badboys (ilco X248____YM63), are 4 bucks a piece.

Lets see how this adds up:

cost of 5 spare keys: 20.00

Cost of having a spare key when your lost in the middle of nowhere: Priceless!!!

GreyGoose

good info, thanks guys! I have only 2 keys and I think having more is prudent. I'll do that soon, but I finally got my fenda extenda on and my rad guard on order! I guess it wouldn't get worn out or hit to many rocks if I didn't have a key!

good info, thanks guys! I have only 2 keys and I think having more is prudent. I'll do that soon, but I finally got my fenda extenda on and my rad guard on order! I guess it wouldn't get worn out or hit to many rocks if I didn't have a key!
Ain't a guard made on the planet that'll sto.....oh wait, never mind. :D

Ari Rankum
I guess it's time to memorize my keycode.
OK, I'll ask the stoopid ?? What's the keycode used for?
Locksmiths will stock blanks, pin sets, cores, etc for various lock manufacturers and various vehicle manufacturers. Armed with a keycode, a cell phone, and some luck, you can find a locksmith who can make you a key from the code, provided he has the data for the particular manufacturer that goes with the code and he has blank keys on hand. Having my keycode for a station wagon on hand enabled me to get home from a lake with the help of a locksmith, even though my keys were at the bottom of said lake.

The keycode can also be used to order more keys through a dealer.