Cheesey 06 Keys

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Went to a locksmith soon after I bent my key and they ordered some blanks but no stronger than the oem. But a single for the ignition, one on the set of keys for the Givi topcase, helmet guardian and Tourtech mount for the gps, and last a spare set of keys hidden in the lining of the tank bag. Never again do I want to lose a key.

To help the keys from bending, most of the bend if not all comes from the side cases. Make sure they are tight before locking them back up.

My keys are good as new-exercising some caution, particularly with the bags, helps a lot. I notice a lot of resistance on the bags when turning the key, and trying to operate the latches one handed. Use both hands, one to key, one to push down on the latch, and things go a lot smoother. Lubricate your locks with JB80 or any good light spray lube, every oil change. I realize some keys have broken in pockets etc. As I said before, use extra care when the key code demands a deep (to the shank) notch-these keys are extra fragile at that cut, and will likely break at that point.

Here is another idea that works. makes several photo copies of your keys and also jot down the key number and carry several of them with you. Like one in wallet , your tankbag, taped to your bike, map holder, get the idea. than when you lose one a lock smith can use the picture to cut you another keyor do like I do I carry extra keys .............. :D

Went to a locksmith soon after I bent my key and they ordered some blanks but no stronger than the oem. But a single for the ignition, one on the set of keys for the Givi topcase, helmet guardian and Tourtech mount for the gps, and last a spare set of keys hidden in the lining of the tank bag. Never again do I want to lose a key.To help the keys from bending, most of the bend if not all comes from the side cases. Make sure they are tight before locking them back up.
If you've ever seen pictures of our rides and notice I have a blue lanyard around my neck....that's to hold the extra key ring with allthe keys on it, just like mentioned above. It keeps them nice and handy.

I ordered a key from these guys once. It wasnt cheap but they did cut it from the number and mail it to me. They seem to be out of stock right now but the site has the key blank part numbers listed. You can get them in the OEM style black plastic cap or solid metal.

Cheers,

Jim

Ilco #: YH35RBP/YM63

Curtis #: YM63

Silca #: YH35RBP

Ilco #: YM63

Taylor #: X248

Silca #: YH35R

Essentially, ANY locksmith ought to be able to cut you a key from any of these absolutely standard blanks.

Couldn't do this outside the US, mind you because the rest of us have transponder keys.

Last edited by a moderator:
Are the US bikes the only ones that don't have the transponder keys? If so, is it just a cost saving issue?

If one was so inclined, can you order the receiver that I assume keeps the bike from starting or running to fit a US spec bike?

The ZX14 has the same deal - no transponder for US production. I wonder if it is a liability thing.

From what I've been told the electronics alone without the pickup coil and such are on the order of $1000.

Transponder keys are not needed in 'SAFE' countries... we just lean the bike against the ODOT tree, keys in ignition, and don't worry be happy.. Hell, ODOT leaves the engine running to increase his mpg average... :blink:

Has anyone been successful at using the credit card plastic keys offered through services such as AAA? I tried to get a credit card key made at my local AAA office just like the ones made for cars, but they did not have the capability to make the Yami key. I don't think they had the proper blank, but those credit card keys come in handy for lockout situations on an auto. Saves the auto club the cost of sending someone out to get into a vehicle which had keys locked in ignition.

spare keys made at about key kiosk. i had about 5 made up within the first month of ownership. it's been my SOP for all my bikes for decades. I put the OEM keys away right after that and they stay stored for the day I sell the bike.

If you've ever seen pictures of our rides and notice I have a blue lanyard around my neck....that's to hold the extra key ring with allthe keys on it, just like mentioned above. It keeps them nice and handy.
why to i have a mental image of a simple spill turning into a punctured lung?

Just the other day, I was letting my dad take my bike for a spin. Handed him the key... Told him 'check to make sure the Givi trunk is closed' have fun, be careful.

15 minutes go by he comes walking back to me. "Have another key?"

Grrrr....

He said; "I can't get it started. You had a jacket laying on your seat, so I put it in your side case, now the key is bent and it won't turn the ignition or something."

Out to the bike, put key in side case, gently bend backwards as to not break it off in the lock.

F*ck!!!! These factory keys are BS, I have spares already, but... it's only a matter of time before one snaps off.