Chestnuts roasting....

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roger55

Reaction score
I have had my 05 since April. Today was my first "hot" weather ride. A friend and I rode up to Murphys, CA. It was in the high 90's coming home and will be in the 100's in the next several days as it usually is in Central Cal in July and August. While riding home I kept hearing in my mind (and crotch) Nat King Cole singing Chestnuts roasting on an open fire. I'm going to have to search through the forum and find some mods for this heat.

It's been over 100F almost every day in June and already starting out this month. I've only been riding in the early mornings. It's 7:30PM right now and still 100 degrees. My old bod just doesn't take to the heat very well anymore. :dribble:

Last edited by a moderator:
It's been over 100F almost every day in June and already starting out this month. I've only been riding in the early mornings. It's 7:30PM right now and still 100 degrees. My old bod just doesn't take to the heat very well anymore. :dribble:
Move to Cape Breton Island, Nova Scotia. When we left in the morning to ride the Cabot Trail on June 24th it was 8oC (46oF). It was 'crisp'.

Roger,

Here you go. A lot of us here have done this mod and it seems to help. Tank insulation is also a good idea which I have also done, with a key element in sealing the gap between the seat and tank with weatherstrip of some sort. One other suggestion was to keep the fuel level at least 1/2 full.

John

7th post from top.

Cromeit Heat Fix

Tank insulation kit

...and make sure your gas tank is venting properly in the heat as well.

Google "FJR-Tips" website for the "how-to" on keeping that area clean.

I have had my 05 since April. Today was my first "hot" weather ride. A friend and I rode up to Murphys, CA. It was in the high 90's coming home and will be in the 100's in the next several days as it usually is in Central Cal in July and August. While riding home I kept hearing in my mind (and crotch) Nat King Cole singing Chestnuts roasting on an open fire. I'm going to have to search through the forum and find some mods for this heat.
I haven't done the referenced chromeit fix, but I did buy an insulating blanket. Works wonders as it actually drops a reflective bubble wrap insulation between the tank and the engine, and in particular as a curtain along the back of the tank right in front of the seat. Still, this is where the term "stones" comes in. FJR riders need stones, not chestnuts.

Move to Cape Breton Island, Nova Scotia. When we left in the morning to ride the Cabot Trail on June 24th it was 8oC (46oF). It was 'crisp'.
Bah Tain't nuttin yer 46 degrees.. Flyinj and I left Watersmeet Mi two weeks ago an it was 34..And we were wearing mesh gear :blum:

I haven't done the referenced chromeit fix, but I did buy an insulating blanket. Works wonders as it actually drops a reflective bubble wrap insulation between the tank and the engine, and in particular as a curtain along the back of the tank right in front of the seat. Still, this is where the term "stones" comes in. FJR riders need stones, not chestnuts.
do the cromeit heat fix - I owned my '05 FJR for almost a year before I did the fix and kicked myself afterwards for waiting so long to do it.

it's not hard and helps a bunch..

Granted I've only done about 1000 miles on my 05 but I haven't really felt heat from this bike that's any worse from any other bike I've owned. All my XX's put out noticable heat but my ZX14 cooked my monkey like a turkey!