Chronic itchy nose when I ride

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
OK I'm giving permission (as if some of you need it) to post some wise cracks :D :p

But I am serious. I wear a flip up Gmax helmet. Within 20 minutes my nose tip starts itching. This is every ride. It happened when I wore a shorty in the past. I haven't worn a full-face since I had a Shoie years ago, so I don't remember if that happened. It is worse on the highway than in the twisties. I don't know if I'm just more occupied driving in the backroads so I don't notice it as much (but it still happens) or what. I think it is worse now on the FJR than with the V-twin and open face helmet.

Anybody else experience this? It's a pain in the nose! I end up flipping the shield constantly to rub it. Then my nose gets stuffy. maybe airflow? Vibration? If anybody can think of fixes, I'm listening.

Looking forward to the comments :p :p

It's that damn sidestand agin. I tried to tell ya's, but would ya listen? Hell no! And now the Gallus gallus domesticus have come home to roost!

Last edited by a moderator:
The way I see it, you have two choices --

Suck it up

Breath.jpg

or block it out

3949-2T.jpg

I like the Speedo connection, I'd go with that :lol:

OK I'm giving permission (as if some of you need it) to post some wise cracks :D :p
But I am serious. I wear a flip up Gmax helmet. Within 20 minutes my nose tip starts itching. This is every ride. It happened when I wore a shorty in the past. I haven't worn a full-face since I had a Shoie years ago, so I don't remember if that happened. It is worse on the highway than in the twisties. I don't know if I'm just more occupied driving in the backroads so I don't notice it as much (but it still happens) or what. I think it is worse now on the FJR than with the V-twin and open face helmet.

Anybody else experience this? It's a pain in the nose! I end up flipping the shield constantly to rub it. Then my nose gets stuffy. maybe airflow? Vibration? If anybody can think of fixes, I'm listening.

Looking forward to the comments :p :p
Man, I am right there with you! My nose itches constantly! It drives me frickin' crazy, and I've stopped lifting the shield - I just leave it in the one-up position. And I agree, when I'm getting aggressive on the bike, I don't notice it. But when I'm cruising it just never stops. I gotta believe it's the vibes, but I have no idea what to do about it. For the record, I wear a full-face Scorpion EXO-700.

I have the same problem with wearing my full face helmets, Arai and now Scorpion 700. After looking very closely I found that lint can make your nose itch when it is being moved around with the air getting under your visor. This makes my nose itch pretty bad. I washed the liners, moved my chatterbox mic slightly to the side, then used a lint remover, vacuum inside the helmet haven't had the problem since doing this on a regular basis.

I have the same problem with wearing my full face helmets, Arai and now Scorpion 700. After looking very closely I found that lint can make your nose itch when it is being moved around with the air getting under your visor. This makes my nose itch pretty bad. I washed the liners, moved my chatterbox mic slightly to the side, then used a lint remover, vacuum inside the helmet haven't had the problem since doing this on a regular basis.

Thanks MSLPILOT and ZZ. Glad I'm not totally nuts. I'll try cleaning the helmet really well, but I think it has been happening since day 1.

I'll consider blocking my nose. Already had surgery that took everything out a few years back, so that isn't it. But like MSLPILOT, I think vibration may play a role. Maybe the visor doesn't fit just right and Ithe seal lets air in at the wrong spot. I'm going to buy a new shield too.

Thanks for the suggestions. And I had to chuckle at some of the other responses :D My sidestand works fine in the p position.......... :p

Thanks MSLPILOT and ZZ. Glad I'm not totally nuts. I'll try cleaning the helmet really well, but I think it has been happening since day 1.

I'll consider blocking my nose. Already had surgery that took everything out a few years back, so that isn't it. But like MSLPILOT, I think vibration may play a role. Maybe the visor doesn't fit just right and Ithe seal lets air in at the wrong spot. I'm going to buy a new shield too.

Thanks for the suggestions. And I had to chuckle at some of the other responses :D My sidestand works fine in the p position.......... :p
No you're not alone but maybe we are all nuts. Same problem. Get it on a couple of my bikes and i think it is vibration.

Stick a set of grip puppies on and call me in the morning! :)

Shiny,

If you can get your hands on a Shoei RF-1000, maybe other models as well, and try it out with the chin curtain you may find that that might help. I think I have an extra one kicking around if you want to see if it will work on your helmet. On mine it presses in between the lining and the helmet itself. They also make a breath guard for it to keep the sheild from fogging. With both of those in place you won't have the wind blowing directly up your nose.

80X8CHIN.jpg

80BREB.jpg

Itchy nose...better than itchy butt. IMHO

Sounds like allergies to me...I get the itchy NOSE depending on what is going on in the farmer's fields around ...

+1 with the itchy nose. Not all the time but more than I can figure out. I have a flip so I can flip it up but sometimes open up the visor.

Thanks Radman, I always wanted to know what was causing it. :lol:

Time to trim those nose hairs guys. I think Yamaha sells GENUINE FACTORY NOSE HAIR TRIMMERS for only $239.95 ;)

Shiny., I agree with the others and I came to this conclusion yrs ago: Vibration. It`s happenned with every helmet I`ve worn since `82. My sister n law has an `85 Shadow 750 and it drives her nose crazy. Believe me, it`s the vibes!!!!!!!!!! :blink:

+1 on making sure the nostril hairs are neat and trim.

AND, just a thought as I read this post, would there be a guinea pig out there that would try rubbing a little ora-gel on the skin to see if it works.

I know, lets get Mikey to try it!

It might work, you know.

Last edited by a moderator:
Have same problem, not all the time, but when it is there is very annoying. I go for the allergy answer. have not found a solution, except to say that the ones given above have not resolved the issue. Did not notice this problem when I lived the the NW (Bellingham, WA). Now ride in Arizona. Will check and see if winter lessens the problem.

I get it almost every time I ride, must be vibration or airborn chemicals/pollutants (rising farts through leathers :lol: ). When riding by the Reynolds Aluminum plant in Ingleside/Gregory, TX, it's the worst nose itching of all time. It will go away after about 4 face shield lifts/scratches. I wear the Shoie X-11 and will look for that face protector. Hadn't had any problem with fogging with the vents open.

Shiny,
If you can get your hands on a Shoei RF-1000, maybe other models as well, and try it out with the chin curtain you may find that that might help. I think I have an extra one kicking around if you want to see if it will work on your helmet. On mine it presses in between the lining and the helmet itself. They also make a breath guard for it to keep the sheild from fogging. With both of those in place you won't have the wind blowing directly up your nose.

80X8CHIN.jpg

80BREB.jpg

Thanks for the input. My helmet comes with a cloth "curtain" but not a breath guard. Between the cloth and my double chin :( not much dirt comes up, but something I'll pay more attention to.

Haven't had a chance to try any of these suggestions, as I've been sick. But appreciate the comments, err... most anyway :p :D

+1 on making sure the nostril hairs are neat and trim.
AND, just a thought as I read this post, would there be a guinea pig out there that would try rubbing a little ora-gel on the skin to see if it works.

I know, lets get Mikey to try it!

It might work, you know.

What the hell, my name is Mikey......I'll let you know.

Personally I think it has to the with the "buzz" coming through the bike, in particular the handle bars.

I experience the same thing when my right hand starts to get numb around 3500 - 4000 rpm.

Of course it also happens when I use power tools all day.

Like someone else said......at least my butt doesnt itch.

NC

Had a Nolan with the chin shield-quite effective, both at reducing noise and the tendency for junk to wanna come up and out through the vent system.