Clackamas-Breitenbush road to be repaired

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LDRydr

A Homeless Nomad
Reaction score
Two weekends ago my wife and I made a quick overnight trip to Central Oregon. Returning home on Sunday we decided to take the scenic route home, which WAS to include making a right turn off Hwy 20 at Detroit onto NF-46, up to Ripplebrook, Estacada, then home. Thankfully we asked at the little gas station if the road was open (they'd had snow the week before in the passes) and found out it was still closed due to snow. Just now I was trying to find out if it had opened yet as I was about to send a friend from out of town over the road, and I found the article below. Bummer for this summer, but it looks like it will be good for next year. Now if we could just get them to clear the snow out we'd be golden.

Expect delays this summer on the forest road that connects Estacada with Detroit, along the Clackamas and Breitenbush rivers in the Mount Hood and Willamette National Forests.

The Willamette National Forest has awarded a $2 million contract for the reconstruction of Forest Service road 46, also known as the Breitenbush road on the Willamette National Forest and the Clackamas road on the Mount Hood National Forest.

The work will take place between milepost 1.0 near Detroit and continue to milepost 28.0 on the Mount Hood National Forest. Reconstruction began on May 20, 2009.

Forest Highway 46 is a popular section of the West Cascades National Scenic Byway that links Oregon 22 to the Clackamas Ranger District of the Mount Hood National Forest.

Through-travel is currently impeded by snow, which will melt off in the weeks ahead.

Reconstruction of the highway will include guard rail and culvert replacements, removal of roadside hazards such as rocks and debris, and new asphalt to repair irregularities in the surface of the road.

The work is expected to be completed by late August, but could possibly extend through June 2010.

Due to road work, visitors should anticipate travel delays of up to 30 minutes and possibly a detour while repairs are being made to a bridge; the construction area will be signed.

"This project will make travel on Highway 46 safer for forest visitors. The community's patience and understanding while construction is occurring on the road is greatly appreciated," said Steve Sappington, engineering officer for the Detroit and Sweet Home Ranger Districts.

Visitors are encouraged to call the Detroit Ranger District and check the Willamette National Forest Web site for regular updates prior to traveling in the area.

Detroit Ranger District, Detroit, 503-854-3366, 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. seven days a week

Posted by Terry Richard, The Oregonian May 21, 2009 15:49PM

Thanks for the heads up.

I really enjoy that ride. My favorite is to kick out to Westfir/Oakridge, then head north on FDR 19 up to Cougar Rservoir to Rainbow/McKenzie, then up 126 and 22 to Detroit and on to 46 and Estacada. I've done that a couple of times on my way back from riding the Trinity area in Northern CA. That is a good day of riding right there.

I rode it (Detroit to Estacada) last Saturday (29th), very beautiful. I saw some construction equipment on the sides of the road but no work was going on, so it was all open. I did notice some potholes large enough to eat midsized Volkswagons, and other deterioration, gravel, and warm and slippery tar snakes. Of course you had a few of the normal huge falling boulders on the road but they were easier to dodge then a merger with Fiat.

I was passed by two sportbikers that felt my pace of 50 to 60 mph into blind corners was not a sufficiently intimate midafternoon date with death. I really do drive like I want to live these days, playing the odds for just enough fun with reduced risk. I passed a zillion cars and trucks, but then I got caught behind a parade that seemed like it would just be too damn much work to bother passing. I slowed down using the now freed up attention bandwidth to appreciate how lovely this place was. Everything plant was painfully green, dark rock faces streaming moisture that was snow just a few days ago, sky timeless light blue in all directions, rivers singing that white noise magic chant of flow that I sometimes imagine is sound of the pumping heart of the universe, and more.

By the time I got home my anger was drained, I felt light and happy and appreciative for this 4 hours of timeless play. It was one of thoes rides that starts out about you and the bike seeking perfection of motion, and ends in a joyful nothing where everything might as well be traveling together at the same speed.