Clearwater Lights

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Lumberg

Merica
Reaction score
Just got home from the install of a Krista/Erica set. The install was more involved than I anticipated, but there were no real snags. The bike/kit instructions in the box differed from the ones indicated on the website, and we were steered to a 3rd version still (all versions indicated they covered this kit and the 2014 FJR) by the very helpful, very knowledgeable, first ring folks at Clearwater. All differences were minor. The part for the horn interface was not in the kit. The part for high-beam tie in was. Checked and re-checked, and despite wiring being installed correctly, the flamethrowers do not brighten with the high beams. Im not worried about it. Unlike some, there was no L bracket for the dimmer pot. So both the on/off switch and the volume control were mounted cleanly and neatly on the left panel aft of the glovebox. All controls were tested with and without the lights. Everything was good. It was time to button it up and go home.

I had to take a victory lap through the Publix parking lot. The bike looks ten times more conspicuous with the Clearwaters on low. I cannot overstate the difference. On high, I closely resemble the arrival sequence from close encounters of the third kind. Kind to oncoming traffic on low, but on high, they illuminate the trees (think big time curve illumination when your blinkers are up/down instead of left/right), the roadway, and the ditch/shoulder.

All stuff many of you already knew. Thanks to those who provided guidance and offers of coming down/up and helping with the install. I really agonized over the purchase and the install. I could not be more happy with them. I ride frequently in the dark, and it will never be the same. https://lumberg.smugmug.com/Tech/i-9WMZjr3

Last edited by a moderator:
I really agonized over the purchase and the install. I could not be more happy with them. I ride frequently in the dark, and it will never be the same.
Yeah, they're not cheap and obviously not a no-cut solution you originally wanted, but they are really that good....I absolutely agree. I had a set of Kristas on my first '14 and loved them...until I had to take a helicopter ride to the nearest trauma center and still have one of the brackets and lights wither severe scars but still works.

Krista/Erica hybrid kit, on mirror mounts. Thanks.

Ericas on the mirrors and Kristas on the front forks?

OR

UP & Down on the Mirrors?

Oh… Congrats !!!
I know Clearwater knows what they are doing but having different lights mounted on both sides of my bike may trigger some OCD in me. So the Erica is mounted on the right for better road side illumination with the Krista on the left?

I mixed because Clearwater recommended. I had learned of this from folks that had purchased before me. The lights are super bright. Regardless of which is mounted on the left or right, the roadside (on both sides) is illuminated. Its not just the right side, its well into the shoulder on both sides. And then the other throws a wide, long beam. I would never have gone with asymmetry (of light- the housings are identical) if it were not for having huge flood and long throw in one set.

Edited to add- lights are great. Placing the relay box as specified by Clearwater, on my 2014, results in the hydraulic lines being soundly pinched between the right tube and the relay box if you attempt full lock to the left. Either the lines or the box will fail in short order if the relay box isn't relocated. Should be an easy fix. All controls were tested after install, but since the bike was on a lift with the front wheel secured, we didn't think to check function and clearance with steering. It looked clear. It's only when the bars are turned that the hydraulic lines "arch" and become a clearance issue. https://lumberg.smugmug.com/Tech/i-5Tq3BLP Rode to work in the dark, and the lights were nice. They didn't offend anybody on low (that I could tell). I did experience folks moving over a little faster, but that may have been a manifestation of Christmas spirit. On high, they show you why you bought them, every time you crank them up.

Last edited by a moderator: