Close call today and a reminder

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cdogman

Bad Boy
Reaction score
Today I am running down town to take my wife to lunch and I am about to get on the freeway on ramp.. Light turns yellow as I approach. I make the decision to stop, downshift to first, and grab front brake.. I look in my rear view mirror to check I was not going to get run over... The guy in the truck behind me heard my downshift (I assume) thinking I was going to charge the light... He hits it too.. Then he sees my Hyper-light flashing.. As I look down at this black F150 aiming for me and accelerating, I am going 15MPH + or - and I goosed it.. He hits the binders.. I hit the binders.. he stops where I was going to,, I assumed his ABS was kicking in by then.

Remember to check your six when stopping..

I got that from MSF back in the day.. this is the third time it has saved my ass...

Last edited by a moderator:
Out of curiosity, I have read elsewhere on another similar thread about when people stop, they leave an out.........so they don't get sandwiched, I presume. Where then, if you were say in the middle lane where the laft lane is a left turn only and the right lane is a right turn or straight lane, would you place the front of your bike? How much room would you leave between your front tire and the rear bumper of the cage in front of you? I don't recall that being covered in the MSF course.

Word to the wise....don't have a hotty po tatty sittin on yer six when coming to a light. ya may get rear ended...........

I'm just sayin...........

Out of curiosity, I have read elsewhere on another similar thread about when people stop, they leave an out.........so they don't get sandwiched, I presume. Where then, if you were say in the middle lane where the laft lane is a left turn only and the right lane is a right turn or straight lane, would you place the front of your bike? How much room would you leave between your front tire and the rear bumper of the cage in front of you? I don't recall that being covered in the MSF course.
You would have if you were in my class. :)

Place your self at least a bike distance from the front bumper. Put the bike either in the right or left section of the lane, your choice. If you see someone is coming in too damn hot. Split the lane.

When I stop I am not usually facing directly ahead. To many it may seem my stop is sloppy. But to look at it again you would notice I am pointed between the two cars ahead of me. If I feel I am done for I will jump between the two cars. Even if I scrape one or the other. Each situation is different... Sometimes..... you take the lesser of two evils.. Usually by looking as you approach you can find a solution before you stop.

but I cycle my brakes (to re-engage the 5 second flash sequence of my hyperlite) to make myself seen.. that is the first line of defense. then try to compensate for the ones that dont see you no matter what and watch for them.. watch and be ready

Today I am running down town to take my wife to lunch and I am about to get on the freeway on ramp.. Light turns yellow as I approach. I make the decision to stop, downshift to first, and grab front brake.. I look in my rear view mirror to check I was not going to get run over... The guy in the truck behind me heard my downshift (I assume) thinking I was going to charge the light... He hits it too.. Then he sees my Hyper-light flashing.. As I look down at this black F150 aiming for me and accelerating, I am going 15MPH + or - and I goosed it.. He hits the binders.. I hit the binders.. he stops where I was going to,, I assumed his ABS was kicking in by then.
Remember to check your six when stopping..

I got that from MSF back in the day.. this is the third time it has saved my ass...
== dude!!

I always check my six.... that same scenario has happen to me in my car and on a bike..... pays to be on tip!!!!!!

Hey... don't get dead.. I won't come visit you..... :blink: :yahoo:

Yep, I do too.... Amazing what goes on back there.....

I have noticed that cycling my hyperlite makes "most" stop back further than normal... I like that....

First time it saved me was on an offramp. Two kids behind me and it was one of those that curved under the freeway at the end.. I just had a baaaaaaaad feeling.. and put my bike at the curb and 3 second later two young kids ran that light right in my lane at about 60mph.... I did not even see them.... My gut was just sayin,, "Dude, you gotta move over NOW!!" So I did

Scared the shit outta me.... and I was amazed my gut was right... Now. my gut talks.. I listen..

Last edited by a moderator:
Need a anti-cage missile mounted farkle for such issues.
Glad you're OK, smart move.

Like dis?? hehe

missiletruck.jpg

LMAO,,,, Yep good idea.. I wont be at NAFO though..life got in the way this year

Next year perhaps... Gotta find a rocket propellant vendor LMAO

Hi everyone,

This reminds me of a close call a few weeks back. The wife and I were coming home one evening and came up on 3 cars stopped. The front car was waiting to turn left so I approached slowly checked my mirror to see if the right lane was open. It was open but I saw lights coming up behind me so rolled over to the right side of the lane and stayed on the white line for a few seconds to give the cars in front the option to pull out and go around. In those couple of seconds an S-10 pickup slammed into the line of cars doing about 50mph. I was 10 feet from the car in front of me on the white line. The trucks passenger mirror brushed my wifes elbow and must have been his bumper left a small bruise on her calf. This truck pushed the cars 40 to 60 feet down the road. Shook us up pretty good but we pulled over and gave assistance to some pretty banged up people. I know the good Lord was watching over us for sure. We hugged and calmed down a bit and made it home safe. Needless to say I always check my six.

Take care and be safe!

PS And my brave wife asked for a ride the next evening and we continue to ride everyday we can.