Clutch cable squeak

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

T. Oz

Reaction score
When I release the clutch lever at the end of the release there is now a "squeak" where the lever is attached. I suspect it needs some lubricating. Any info on what to use and on how to do it will be greatly appreciate. Information that some may ask:

18,000 miles

no other issues

noticed it about a week ago.

Thanks

Just disassemble, clean and lube. Further neglect may lead to that brass bushing suffering wear and requiring replacement. By the way, there is no cable; it is hydraulic. Is your location near the sea? Salty air? You may want to implement a regular regimen of cleaning and lubing control pivots. My clutch lever started squeaking only after 8 years. I did replace the bushing.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was gonna say...Some people have found the brass bushing worn through and needing replacement.

Its a super easy job to take the lever off, lube it and replace it. The bushing pops right out, so if its worn, just order and replace.

My squeek was the pushrod and rubber boot. Lots of dust and grime in there. Remove the actuating rod, clean out, lube up. Bushing too.

Thanks for the info. Yes, I guess it was dumb to say clutch cable :)

I live in North Texas so there is not a lot of humidity but, there is a lot of dust.

Thanks again for the help.

Not to lose the tiny spring in there which will try to launch itself into the trash can..

I found that lubing the clutch pivot would not last a New England riding season without having to be done again. I bought some micro needle bearings and reamed out the lever a little and installed them so they run on the original bolt. Haven"t had to lube it for a few years. No, it did not really make the clutch any easier to pull as I had hoped, but it never gets that sticky jerky while releasing feeling either.

S76.... the small bearing is a great idea. I don't want to hijack the thread but, I assume that you've changed your clutch slave cylinder to a 2005 model. For those that have not, it makes the lever pull much easier (at least on my 07) and it's an easy replacement.

1 drop of 3M machine oil on top of the pivot pin/brass bushing, operate several times, wipe off excess oil, good to go! :yahoo: