Clutch Replacement

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steved1

Reaction score
I want to replace the clutch in my 06 AE. Witch clutch kit do you people recommend OEM or KG pro series or Barnett clutch plates. Thanks in advance.

I don't know which would be best but what tells you that it needs a clutch. ????

Yeah, why are you replacing it? FJR clutches are pretty indestructible. After I managed to fry mine from heavy abuse, I rebuilt with OEM. parts. OEM works really well, so why mess with it was my thinking.

Yeah, why are you replacing it? FJR clutches are pretty indestructible. After I managed to fry mine from heavy abuse, I rebuilt with OEM. parts. OEM works really well, so why mess with it was my thinking.
The bike has 53000 Km and under hard acceleration in 3rd or 4th it slips pretty bad.

The bike has 53000 Km and under hard acceleration in 3rd or 4th it slips pretty bad.

Wow. Your AE is doing something really wrong with your clutch. My first lasted 140,000 miles and only went bad because of abuse. There are many 100,000, 150,000 mile FJRs out there still on their original clutch.

Last edited by a moderator:

Wow. Your AE is doing something really wrong with your clutch. My first lasted 140,000 miles and only went bad because of abuse. There are many 100,000, 150,000 mile FJRs out there still on their original clutch.

Last spring i entered an advanced motorcycle course with a lot of low speed maneuvers and since then under hard accel it slips

My first lasted 140,000 miles and only went bad because of abuse. There are many 100,000, 150,000 mile FJRs out there still on their original clutch.
Gawd I love it when I find the answer to my question easily with +clutch +replacement...and from spinny no less! I was thinking about whether I should replace the clutch before the IBR as possible maintenance type item since I have 137,000 miles. Since I've not been hard on the clutch, it seems solid....I'm not inclined to replace it. I'm assuming if it were to start going south you'd likely feel something like a little slip a few thousand miles before it actually becomes unusable?

I used a Barnett and a Scorpion Sping replacment and could not be happier. That was 23,000 miles with 0 miles on the bike. I have nothing to compare it too but I have no issues at all. It all started with a clutch soak for lurching forward almost off my bike lift.

barnett%20done.jpg