clutchs and syn oil

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smooth_Gary

Reaction score
i have been reading this forum for 2yrs, n have really learned alot about my fjr,,i am gratefull for this,,anyway i have a 2006 fjr abs,,i broke it in using motomans break in,,it runs great,,i used dino oil the first 1500 mi. then mobil 1 syn,,n mobil oil filter,,i put a holeshot full system n p/c 3 on it,,i modified the air cleaner intake,,n using a uni foam filter,, i had it dynoed it had 127 h.p. 91 ft,lbs. torque,,,,it has 47000 miles no ticking,,it runs great,, i think my clutch is slipping,,,i rode this bike hard,,its agood bike,,it doesnt slip like the slipping i am familiar with,,u know ,punch it,n the engine speeds up,,it seems to do it when i hit 2nd hard,,n it only slips acouple rpm,,,i believe its the clutch,,,what else could slip,,there is no tapered shafts,,all splined shafts,,the tranny works perfect,,never missed a shift,,i put the bike on its center stand,,started it went through the gears,,no weird noises,,driving easy it doesnt do it,,i have to change engine oil,,n i will do the rear end too,,to see what the oil looks like,,the bike runs good 210 to 215 lbs compression on all 4,,,i could use some insight,,,thanx,,gary

Which Mobil1 have you been using. Some of the Mobil1 formulas have friction reducers that can cause problems with clutch friction. Before rebuilding your clutch you may want to try a different oil, something that is known to play nice with a wet clutch.

....i think my clutch is slipping,,,i rode this bike hard ... it doesnt slip like the slipping i am familiar with,,u know ,punch it,n the engine speeds up,,it seems to do it when i hit 2nd hard,,n it only slips acouple rpm,,,i believe its the clutch,,,what else could slip,,,thanx,,gary
You won't thank me for this, Gary.

Read the posts on 2nd gear problems. Sounds, to me, like you're describing a 'jumping out of 2nd gear problem'?

A slipping clutch manifests itself (easily) in high gear roll-ons and full-throttle up-shifts -- and, is like the slipping you are familiar with. It is really (easily) noticeable in higher gears -- not just 2nd.

Sorry, couldn't bring myself to read Smooth's original post.

But, FWIW, I've been using Mobil-1 15W-50 Extended Performance synthetic, with no problems.

....i think my clutch is slipping,,,i rode this bike hard ... it doesnt slip like the slipping i am familiar with,,u know ,punch it,n the engine speeds up,,it seems to do it when i hit 2nd hard,,n it only slips acouple rpm,,,i believe its the clutch,,,what else could slip,,,thanx,,gary
You won't thank me for this, Gary.

Read the posts on 2nd gear problems. Sounds, to me, like you're describing a 'jumping out of 2nd gear problem'?

A slipping clutch manifests itself (easily) in high gear roll-ons and full-throttle up-shifts -- and, is like the slipping you are familiar with. It is really (easily) noticeable in higher gears -- not just 2nd.
Yeah good call there. I must admit I had a little difficulty reading the OP and missed that piece. If it was oil causing the clutch to slip it would be readily evident by doing a second gear start.

Sounds much more like the symptoms of the slipping 2nd gear dogs. Too bad for Gary... :glare:

While we are talking about clutches and synthetic oils, has anyone here used Redline Oil? I see on their website that it is rated at JASO MB, not the recommended JASO MA. MB oils do contain some friction modifiers, but are still supposed to be wet clutch compatible. Any thoughts? I want the best, but I am torn between Redline and Amsoil. I don't want to start a flame war here, so please keep the responses intelligent and fact-based.

While we are talking about clutches and synthetic oils, has anyone here used Redline Oil? I see on their website that it is rated at JASO MB, not the recommended JASO MA. MB oils do contain some friction modifiers, but are still supposed to be wet clutch compatible. Any thoughts? I want the best, but I am torn between Redline and Amsoil. I don't want to start a flame war here, so please keep the responses intelligent and fact-based.
Amsoil is a bad word in these parts, tread lightly. I have no experience with JASO. However, search and read posts from member 'jestal'. He is an engineer for GM, has studied oil excessively, and is considered by many here to be our resident oil expert. To make a long story short, he knows his shit. His favorites were oils designed for diesel engines. They have more anti-wear stuff and no friction modifiers. Such as; Rotella T and Mobil 1.

YamaLube, Baby!
I switched from Rotella Synthetic, and noticed a definite shifting improvement :Clicky

Yeah... but that was after a fifth of the stuff you are named for. :wacko:
Who, ME?

HoldingJagermeister.jpg

YamaLube, Baby!
I switched from Rotella Synthetic, and noticed a definite shifting improvement :Clicky
Sorry man, but any shifting difference you may think you noticed came from a change in viscosity. Oil is oil is oil. And other than viscosity changes, it sure isn't going to make a difference in shifting.

And as for our other poster, what IS the best oil? Who says it's AMSHIT or Redline?

Don't make me go jestal on your ass...

An engine makes its own viscosity.
:lol:

Yeah, well in all deference to Jestal, I bet that statement above doesn't apply all the time. I can think of some scenarios where it might not.

Wonder where the J-man is? Haven't seen him post in a loooong time.

Yeah, well in all deference to Jestal, I bet that statement above doesn't apply all the time. I can think of some scenarios where it might not.

Wonder where the J-man is? Haven't seen him post in a loooong time.
True and I believe he's in lurk-only mode.

I just change my oil and used Redline 10w-40.

The trans shifts much smoother now.

I have been using Redline product for years on my chopper and MX-5.

Royal Purple is another good product.