CO2 or small air pump

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The eBay pump looks an awful lot like the $10 Walmart pump taken out of the case, fan trimmed off and a Powerlet plug on the end instead of the cig plug it came with. For the price they ask, they make a nice profit, even if they are buying at retail prices. And Auto Zone has sales on the Slime pumps all the time for $10 or so.

Don't over think this. Buy the pump and you can help people w/o stranding yourself. Not to mention what the others have said about checking/adjusting your own pressure on the road, etc. I have a WalMart one, and have used it a dozen times to help other people. Still going strong.

C02 can be great. Unless you have two punctures, just used them to help someone else and now have your own flat, have a slash that you thought you fixed, but didn't, etc. Heck, carry both if you have the space and want to spend the money.

You don't need to spend $100 on a pump. You can if it makes you feel better, but you don't have to.

" Only draw back is many of these pump plug more amps then your oulet can provided( the one in the compartment), so add a power outlet for the pump and other goodies. You can hook direct to the batteries, but you already have a flat, you want simple."
That is what I did. I added a fused outlet to the battery, due to the draw. The stock 12v is good to charge your cell but that is it. I have both the slime pump and the motopump too , one for the Blazer the other for the bike. I just didn't want to be fixing a flat and popping a fuse too.

Here is the ultra cheap way: eBay Battery Tender Cable

OK, Thanks everyone for the info. Topic Closed.
Haha!! Unless someone made you a forum admin, it doesn't work like that.

Nice try though... ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is the ultra cheap way: eBay Battery Tender Cable
Thanks Fred.

Here's another idea (also cheap):

1a51b26b0.jpg

<Link>

Topic Closed.
:rofl:

Not very often I get to post in a closed thread. So here goes! :yahoo:

Slime pump and sticky strings for me. Never needed them on the road,but the sticky strings worked great to fix a nail hole in my tractor tire!

Fred,

Why wouldn't I just use the pig tail (is that the right term?) that comes with the slime pump and attach it to the battery (and leave it attached) and then run it over to the glove box to sit there and wait for the time when I need it?

Lee

I have a bit of a different spin on this.

I use the CO2 because I know it will work when I need it.

I've had electric inflators that have problems such as the fittings leaking, or the pump not working when I need it.

I've never had a CO2 (I use a standard bicycle inflator -- ultraflate) inflator fail me. In my mind - I want emergency road-side repair equipment to be ultra reliable.

I've had cause to use both (CO2 and pump) as well as plugs and strings. I currently carry a couple CO2 cartridges as well as a Slime pump, and both mushrooms and sticky strings. They aren't too bulky, and I like having options. Have repaired both front and rear tires on trips. If I had to pick 1 of each, it would be the pump and the strings.

Fred,Why wouldn't I just use the pig tail (is that the right term?) that comes with the slime pump and attach it to the battery (and leave it attached) and then run it over to the glove box to sit there and wait for the time when I need it?

Lee
Lee,

Yes, you are correct. You could use the pigtails that come with the Slime pumps. But, (I bought one about a year ago) the wires are only about 12" long, so won't reach anywhere useful, and the in-line fuse holder is not a weatherproof one.

I have a bit of a different spin on this.I use the CO2 because I know it will work when I need it.

I've had electric inflators that have problems such as the fittings leaking, or the pump not working when I need it.

I've never had a CO2 (I use a standard bicycle inflator -- ultraflate) inflator fail me. In my mind - I want emergency road-side repair equipment to be ultra reliable.
Good point. This is a good reason NOT to use your "emergency pump" for day to day tire inflation. Have another inflation pump in your garage for your routine stuff to ensure the emergency pump isn't worn out when you need it. When you first get your emergency pump you'll want to test it out and then carefully pack it away for that (inevitably) rainy day when you get a flat out on the road.

I have 2 kinds, one with each bike in a saddlebag.
I like both of these:

This gem is small and $16 from JC Whitney

https://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/Product...=air+compressor

This one is so kewl...digital readout where you can punch in the desired pressure and stand there and wait for it to put it in automatically

below is a newer model than mine, but works the same way

I bought mine (blue square case) from Pep Boys for $35 about 18 months ago

https://www.motaman.co.uk/productDetails.aspx?nPId=7

My left saddlebag is my tool and survivor saddlebag with complete socket set, allen wrench set,

Cruz Tools Econokit M1 https://www.cruztools.com/toolkits%202007.html

MultiTool Outbak'r M14 https://www.cruztools.com/multitools.html

Leatherman Tool

Swiss Army Knife

Ignition Switch Failure bypass kit (50 amp toggle, wires, positaps, xacto knife)

First Aid kit with kotex pads incase of hemmorage

spare quart of oil, funnel, oil filter

gas siphon hose and pump

jumper cables

wd40, contact spray cleaner

work and nitril gloves

seafoam gas additive

stop'n go mushroom gun tire plug kit

hope this helps

let's ride safe and be careful out there,

Mike in Nawlins'

Sheesh.......you musta grown up riding British bikes! :lol:
Anyhow.....the Boy Scout in me requires that I carry (2) things:

1) CO2 cartridges

2) Mini pump

What I can't believe is that you guys haven't mentioned an even MORE important item.......

VISA/MASTERCARD/AMEX

Tom

Fred,

Thanks for the reply. I knew the pigtail wasn't long enough and figured I'd splice it longer to the glove box. Or, just zip it to something out of the way but outside the fairing that needs to be removed to get to the battery. With any luck I'll never need it.

Lee

I've never needed it while I had it but I carry plug and a Zefal bicycle hand pump. I've fixed dozens of bicycle flats using this type of pump and don't see why it wouldn't work for a motorcycle tire in an emergency. It has been my experience that 12V powered compressors take forever to fill a tire, and while I'm not John Henry I think I could outpump one.
Or maybe I'm wrong?
Zefal... ha, ha. Carried them on my bicycles.

Better bring a sack lunch if you plan on using one to fill a rear tire on the FJR.

:beach:
The zefal, with me pumping, it is faster than any of the two 12 volt compressors I have. Maybe it us who needs the sack lunch, while I'll need the gatoraid. At a lowly 40 psi it pumps easy, it is made to do 100psi on a bicycle tire, but I do worry about not being able to get the fast influx of air to seat the bead if it comes loose.

CO2 sure beats nothing, BUT being able to "top off" pressure if you've still got a slow leak is very important, especially if you're a looonngg way from anywhere when ya get a flat (and, of course you will be in the middle of nowhere, 'cause there's some kinda law that prohibits motorcycle tires from going flat when within 5 miles of anywhere you could get it fixed :unsure: