Coast to Coast in 5 days

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

extrememarine

Reaction score
The following a trip log of is my 1st long distance ride. I would be heading to San Diego, CA from South Carolina for some work related training. I took 5 days to get there, and did a little sight seeing along the way. So I hope you enjoy, and I welcome your comments. I split this post up in order to get the pictures to post.

Day 1

Monday, 22 October 2007

Beaufort, SC to Forest City, Arkansas (740 miles)

One the Road. I was able to get on the road at 9:30 this morning after taking care of a few last minute things at work. It was overcast and threatening rain most of the day, but I remained dry for a good part of it. I had quite a few butterflies during the first couple of hours; listening to the bike, going over routes in my head, etc. As I had hoped, the bike was smooth and solid, no hiccups whatsoever. So I settled into a pace & routine that had me stopping for gas and rest every 200 miles.

IMGP0184.jpg

I made it through Atlanta, GA with little drama, other than Mr. Garmin taking my downtown vice the by-pass like I had wanted to, strike 1, Mr. Garmin. (Mr. Garmin is a used GPS-V I picked up off ebay for about $20). West towards Birmingham with little traffic to slow progress, life was good. Just west of Birmingham, the roads turned wet from recent rain. Then it opened up, after nearly half the day of being dry, the rain king made his first appearance. The rain continued off and on for the rest of the day and into the night.

IMGP0191.jpg

I bumped into another rider heading cross country near Memphis. He was on a H-D Softail Nightrain (just like mine). He caught me at a stoplight, and we road together for awhile until he hit an exit. I was caught in the left lane and unable to follow. A few hours later, he caught up again, just after I had made a gas stop. He took an exit just before Memphis, and I followed. We exchanged greetings, and through the conversation that followed, found out that he was on his way back to San Diego from Daytona Beach. He had rode to Biketoberfest and was heading home. To top it off, he’s in the Navy, stationed in San Diego. He said he’d have to show me some roads while I’m in town. It is such a small world!

Day 1 ended with me punching through Memphis (downtown, strike 2, Mr. Garmin) in a driving rain. My “one more exit” approach to finding a hotel for the night added another 40 or so miles to the day’s leg.

Day 2

Tuesday, 23 October 2007

Forest City, AR to Limon, CO (984 miles)

Rain. Cold. Those two words sum up the better part of day 2. I was packed and on the road by 6:30, did I mention that it was raining, & cold? The heated jacket liner from Warm’n’safe is now the most valuable piece of riding gear that I own. It was 45 degrees and raining when I rolled up the on ramp to I-40 westbound. I managed to keep warm all day; hands were another story, even with the heated grips on high. I hit some morning rush traffic in Little Rock, but managed to get through it on one piece.

By my first fuel stop (203 miles), I could see the edge of the rain clouds. It took another 100 miles to break out of the rain, put once I did, it was bright, sunny and dry! The 2nd half of Arkansas was nice, except that I noticed that thus far, Arkansas seemed to have the highest concentration of State Troopers per mile of any portion of the trip so far. There seamed to be one at every cross over for miles!

IMGP0192.jpg

Onward into Oklahoma, north through Tulsa on the turnpike, speed limit 75 mph & no LEO’s. No traffic to speak of, it’s nice traveling during the week. Left turn in Salina, KS onto I-70 westbound.

Performance Award. As I was heading west on I-70, I started smelling the unique odor of pig poo (livestock, not LEO). It was so strong, that it made my eyes water as I closed in on it. So I rolled on some more throttle to close the gap and move ahead of it. As I slide left to go around, I closed the throttle as I glanced down to check my speed; 110 on the GPS. I looked back up to one of Kansas State’s finest. I went hard on the rear brakes in an effort to scrub off speed with out making the front end dive, and saw his lights come in my mirror. So by the time he got turned around, I had got the bike slowed and in the right lane. , then to the shoulder and parked. At this point, I figured I had a pretty good shot at going to jail. “Good afternoon, Sir, I checked your speed at 90mph, could I see your license, registration, & proof of insurance, please.” (insert sigh of relief from me at this point). The pig truck story didn’t help, but got a laugh from him. So with 200 or so miles left on day 2, I got my first “Performance Award” in some time, 90 in a 70 to the tune of $156.00. Word to the wise, foul air quality is not a reason to exceed the posted speed limit in Kansas. I will be purchasing a RD now.

IMGP0214.jpg

The last fuel run into Colorado was uneventful. I stopped in Limon, Co for the night as planned; 989 miles for the day & I felt pretty good for close to a 1000 mile day. This is where I had planned to head off the expressway, so I didn’t want to chance not being able to find a hotel.

IMGP0246.jpg

Day 3

Wednesday, 24 October 2007

Limon, CO to Granby, CO

An easy day today, just 480 miles from Limon to Granby, Colorado, where I will visit with my aunt & uncle. Today was to be a day off the expressway for the most part. The first stop was going to be Garden of the Gods, then Pikes Peak, then Independence Pass, and north to Granby for the night.I went west from Limon on CO-24 just as the sun was starting to lighten the eastern sky. The landscape at this point was just rolling hills dotted by houses here and there. Mostly pasture lands, if I had to guess (there were barbed wire fences everywhere). I stopped and took this picture of the sunrise and of the first mountain peak that came into view.
IMGP0253.jpg

As it turned out, that mountain was Pikes Peak, one of my destinations for the day.

IMGP0254.jpg

Mr. Garmin, at this point has been assessed strike three for routing me to a Granby, NEW MEXICO!!! This even though I had set up the route from Limon to Granby, COLORADO, via Pikes Peak & Independence Pass. I’m glad I spent $9 on an atlas! Mr. Garmin was about to put me on I-25 south into NM. At each gas stop, I started to check the atlas against Mr. Garmin to make sure that we were on my track, not his. On the way through Colorado Springs, I rode through the Garden of the Gods Park and snapped a few shots…

IMGP0261.jpg

IMGP0268.jpg

IMGP0271.jpg

Onward to Pikes Peak. Why you ask? Good question; a couple years ago I drove up Pikes Peak while on vacation in Elizabeth, CO in our truck and saw a guy on a motorcycle riding up & thought that would be neat thing to do. So here I am, at the gate; notice the “Road Closed”

sign?
IMGP0275.jpg

The Ranger told me that only the last 3 miles are closed at the top. But, that the gravel sections will be a slimy mess when they thaw out in an hour or so, and that he would not recommend going up at all on “that there nice shiny motorcycle” unless I was willing & able to pick it up when I fell over. He also warned me about the gravel trucks traveling up & down the mountain hauling material up for a future repaving project. Decision time; 2000 miles in 2 ¼ days; I’m riding Pikes Peak, darn it!

IMGP0280.jpg

The first section was not bad at all, except for some sand on the blacktop. Then I came around a nice, clean corner into the shade to see 7/8’s of the road covered in snow & ice. A slight “oh-jeez” moment follows while I aim for the 1/8th that was not ice covered. I ran through 2 other spots like that on the way up. At the picnic grounds, I hit the 1st dirt section, which was not bad at all, until I rolled through a section that had been warming in the morning sun and was melting into a snotty mess. I spun the rear tire once, being in 1st gear vice 2nd, but overall, the Avon Azaro’s make respectable dirt tires in a pinch. I snapped a few pictures along the way:

IMGP0279.jpg

IMGP0289.jpg

I was forced to U-turn just 3 miles short of the summit. The last 3 miles were socked in with a foot or better of snow and the park service had the road blocked at that point. More of the dirt section had melted on the trip down, which caused a couple of pucker moments. 1st gear and light on the rear brake let me slip and slide down through it without a fall. My day trip with Jeff Ashe at EOM 07 up the “goat trail” in WV had, as it turned out, been a good confidence builder for the dirt & slime on Pike Peak, Thanks Jeff!!

IMGP0281.jpg

So after that little side trip, I headed west again, towards CO-82 & Independence Pass. I ran CO-24 west. This was a nice road with a few twisty sections, followed by a portion that was just like Kansas; straight and flat, into Buena Vista. A took a quick lunch break & called to my aunt and uncle to let them know my ETA, then back on the road. Left on C0-82 towards the pass was a great road with awesome views. Decent twisties again gave way to mountain switchbacks, but then sand on the road slowed the pace considerably. There as quiet a bit of snow at this point, but the weather was good, not much wind. At the summit, 12,000 + feet, the views were great. Snapped a few pictures and headed back down the same way.

IMGP0342.jpg

IMGP0318.jpg

IMGP0325.jpg

Left on CO-24 took me to I-70, then east a short bit to pick up CO-40 north to Winter Park & Granby. CO-40 north over Granby Pass was a nice road, but would have been more fun if the roads were clean. There was still a lot of sand & salt residue from the snow storm that had passed through a week earlier. I rolled into my Aunt & Uncle’s house at about 6pm or so. Dinner, World Series game 1, and family catch-up time.

Day 4

Thursday, 25 October 2007

Granby, CO to Salt Lake City, UT

I got a late start today. A combination of the weather, altitude, being de-hydrated and sick caught up with me this morning. After a few extra hours of sleep, I finally got on the road at 10:30. My original plan for today was north to I-80, west across Wyoming to Salt Lake City, UT with a side trip to see Flaming Gorge National Park. Due to my late start, I’d have to cut that side trip out. CO-125 North out of Granby was a great road. Good twisties & scenery as the road followed the valley north. Running 60-80mph, I am amazed at how well the bike is handling. Power is not an issue with the FJR, it will launch hard out of any corner, even fully loaded. But it’s running through these sweepers effortlessly; no bouncing or wiggles, just flat planted & stable, I LOVE THIS BIKE!! After crossing the continental divide, the road flattened & straightened out. Almost to the point that I thought I was back in Kansas! (only no COPS!). I crossed into Wyoming and continued north to I-80.

IMGP0374.jpg

IMGP0383.jpg

More of the same on I-80 until I got closer to SLC. I managed to hit SLC at the evening rush, so I had to deal with some traffic. From the Utah border into SLC, the scenery improved some. My destination in SLC was to visit a friend that I was stationed with who has since moved on from the Marine Corps. After catching up with him and his family, I crashed at a hotel for the night. Being sick is definitely taking it’s toll on me at this point.

IMGP0423-1.jpg

Day 5

Friday, 26 October 2007

Salt Lake City, UT to Riverside, CA

3422 miles in 5 days total mileageToday I rode from SLC, UT to Riverside, California. I woke up feeling much better & to clear skies. I left SLC at 6:30 heading west towards Wendover, NV and the Bonnieville Salt Flats. The ride out of SLC was chilly, and I had a strong cross wind to deal with after I cleared the last mountain range.

IMGP0446.jpg

I thought it would be neat to visit the place that so many world speed records have been set over the years. So out on the Salt Flats I went, pictures taken, soaked in the moment on what some would consider hallowed ground (only a moment as temps were barely in the 40’s). The surface was very loose, making it difficult to ride on. I ventured out a mile or so and snapped this picture and headed back to the access road.

IMGP0458.jpg

IMGP0463.jpg

IMGP0462.jpg

IMGP0465.jpg

After breakfast and gas in Wendover, I went south on 93A through barren northeastern region of Nevada. I rode for close to 100 miles without seeing anything. No traffic, no houses, no nothing!! There was a couple of nice curvy sections, but only with triple digit speeds. I continue to be amazed at how well this motorcycle handles, even full loaded (maybe overloaded) at speed. I was able to run fairly hard through these couple of sections with not so much as a bobble.

IMGP0475.jpg

Route 93A ran into 93, then down to I-15. The beginning of 93 was a pretty enjoyable section with decent curves up and over a couple of short passes. It then flattened out into just straight, open, (and boring) road the rest of the way to I-15. Once on I-15, I continued west through Las Vegas (at rush hour), which I survived. Between Vegas and Riverside, the pace continued to pick up. A more accurate description would be that I-15 between Vegas and L.A. is a 200 mile drag strip! I rolled into Riverside, CA & my brother-in-law’s house around 8:30p, just 90 mile short of my final destination in San Diego.

IMGP0504.jpg

IMGP0502.jpg

IMGP0479.jpg

IMGP0576.jpg

IMGP0510.jpg

IMGP0485.jpg

According to the odometer, I traveled 3422 miles. So I managed 13 states (SC, GA,AL,MS,TN,AR,OK,KS,CO,WY,UT,NV,CA) & 3422 miles in 5 days, not too shabby for my first long distance ride in my mind. The FJR performed flawlessly and is now showing just over 40,000 miles on the odometer. I hope you enjoyed this, as I thoroughly did. My return trip will be a much more direct, southern route across I-10. I plan to attempt an IBA 50cc for the return. More on that as time nears. Thanks for reading following along. -wr

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow Extreme!

Really enjoyed reading about your trip! But, I mean, you spent the night in Limon? :huh: Good grub is kinda scarce in ‘em parts, ain’t it?

When it comes time to wind down for the evening gimme a good steak :yes: and a reasonable motel in Colby, KS (happened upon a good steak house there).

That's extreme! :clapping: I'm jealous! :dribble:

I am really wanting to get out on a long ride but can't decide on a destination within the time available. What really sucks is that i'll be heading to Iraq in the spring and it's getting cold so my riding time is running out. I'm debating on whether to sell, but I don't want to! This is the only vehicle that I've ever put money into "farkles". I love this bike.

Anyways, great report! Have a safe trip back.

Thanks for posting the ride report. I enjoyed traveling along with you, vicariously. The pics added a lot. Thanks again.

Welcome to the Left Coast! As a former Floridian, I find this side of the country much more enjoyable from the seat of a motorcycle. Thanks for sharing.

When I was an airman in the Navy (long ago), I set out from NAS Whidbey Island, WA to my folk's place in Florida on a then new '77 KZ-650. Stayed there a few days before reporting to NAS Millington, TN (near Memphis) for 'A' school. Several months later, it was back to FL for several days before riding to NAS Brunswick, ME for duty. Several months later, back to NAS Jacksonville, FL for flight training. All on my lil' KZ-650. 26k miles in 10 months of ownership. Those were the days!

pafjr1300,

First, from one warrior to another, thank you for your service. Do you know what AO you will be working in theater when you get there? After the 1st 30 days or so, time flies.

I stored my Harley when I deployed (didn't have the fjr yet), and I carried a couple pictures of it along with my family pictures with me; Those small pieces of home are what gave me the strength to lace my boots and attack the mission every day.

I'd say sell only if you order a '08 or '09, otherwise, It will be waiting for you when you get home.

Semper Fi

Wayne

That's extreme! :clapping: I'm jealous! :dribble:
I am really wanting to get out on a long ride but can't decide on a destination within the time available. What really sucks is that i'll be heading to Iraq in the spring and it's getting cold so my riding time is running out. I'm debating on whether to sell, but I don't want to! This is the only vehicle that I've ever put money into "farkles". I love this bike.

Anyways, great report! Have a safe trip back.

Extreme,

Congrats on your first long ride! It was inspiring and your shots were wonderful.

Thanks for your Service too and PaFjr!

Last edited by a moderator:
Wayne

not trying to hijack, but to answer your question

Still don't know what area I'll be going to yet, won't know untill I complete the training at Ft. Riley. Right now they have me slated for the MITT; living with and training the security forces over there, either Iraq or Afganistan. Still trying to get my orders straight with branch as to whether I am PCS'ing to Riley (family will not go, kids in school, I will be deployed and they don't know anyone there, plus I have to PCS again right after I get back from deployment) or going unaccompanied (better financially for the family).

I have no problem going over there again (4th deployment), but I am not real excited about working and living with "them". just a little leary of an "infiltraitor" :assassin: . I work with a lot of marines where I am now. I would love to have all of them over there with me :rolleyes:

I'd love to get a 2nd Gen when I get back, that would be the only reason I'd sell mine now- besides the fact that it would be sitting for about 17 months. But I've almost got everything on my 05 that I want. Hell, I just bought a Russell Day-long seat for it, only got 2 short rides with it on :angry:

Thanks 03HIYOSILVER

Take care and ride safe

Great report. Since that snow that you hit in Colorado it has been warm and nice hear in Granby. Riding this November is the latest that I have ever had it out. Usually by the end of October there is too much snow and crap on the road to think about riding.

Glad you had a safe trip.

Neal

Thank you to everyone for the comments.

Great report. Since that snow that you hit in Colorado it has been warm and nice hear in Granby. Riding this November is the latest that I have ever had it out. Usually by the end of October there is too much snow and crap on the road to think about riding.Glad you had a safe trip.

Neal
Neal; I thought I was going to have to dive south if there was anymore snow, but roads were ok in most areas; Granby pass was pretty dirty with sand/salt, but I bet that is a nice run when the roads are clear. Thanks.

Congrats on your first long ride! It was inspiring and your shots were wonderful.Thanks for your Service too and PaFjr!
Pictures courtesy of a Pentax Optio E40 8.1meg Camera I picked up just before the trip. It turned out to be a great little pocket camera.

Thanks for sharing your ride with us. Great story and pics. Have a very safe ride home!!!
Ride home was safe, 50cc in 40hrs & 34min, sending package to IBA for certification monday.

Thanks again to everyone for reading.

-wr

That's a nice passel of pictures right there. Great write-up.

I liked your choice at Pikes Peak. Always make "that" choice. Good job!