Cold feet

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think you would be very happy with the FJR (GenII)...not sure what else would even be close to filling your needs other than adding a better passenger seat and luggage to a Busa.

I think your requirements are a bit silly, if you feel tne need to wheelie around town than perhaps you are not ready to stop owning sports bikes.

The FJR is fast...comfortable and just an all around great bike. It will not handle like a 400 lb sport bike, but will not bore you like an overweight cruiser.

You did not say how tall/big you are , or the size of your passneger, but I'm a fairly small guy and I have no problems handling the bike with my wife on back...and she loves the bike as for as her personal comfort is concerned.

Seems you have not taken an FJR for a ride yet...so perhaps to cinch the deal in your head you should explore this avenue..........

KM

She likes the VTX, but since the crash I have lost strength in my right arm and that bike is very top heavy, so with her on it I have problems in town.
If you think the VTX is top heavy, you DEFINATELY don't want an FJR.

I think you and your wife should try to get a ride on a FJR either from a dealer, friend or Americade Rally. Seems like the best way so you and only you can decide for sure if this bike is for you.

my friend who is in his late 30s and used to race cbrs and other bikes in the 1k size range..( raced at datona one year) he traded his crotch rockets in for a goldwing because of medical reasons.. riding position mainly... he is a touch over 6 ft i think.. and needed to not lean fwd on the seat..

after a couple years of that the fjr popped into sight and he went that way and loves it to death.... tall wife just not heavy.. allmost sounds like your situation to me except i dont think he would ever own a harley... not enough power for him.

He says unless someone is a really good bike racer he can leave them in the dust with his 03 moddle..

I agree with the others .. there are bikes to test ride on... do that and you will know allmost instantly

Just got an '07 after five years with a 1rst gen FZ1 ('02). I feel that the handling once underway is similar, with the new FJR riding better than my worn stock FZ suspenders. The FJR is more of a handful pushing around the garage. I haven't carried a passenger on the FJR yet, but have a backrest on the way for my wife. I'm 33 and a little self conscious that no one has complimented my FJR in a couple long rides, whereas my FZ drew praise on almost every ride from all ages. It's not a Goldwing, but the weight and plastic mean it's halfway there.

Look here for an FZ1 FJR comparo. And here.

I also notice that most of you appear to be older than me ( I am 39 and holding )Forgive me for asking, but is this The goldwing I said I would never own?
There are younger guys here, too. No, its no Gold-wing (though the newer Gold-wings have surprised more than one "squidly" type) but it is a 650# sports tourer, not a 400# sports bike.
Dude, I came from a GL1800 (GoldWing) That bike is more like 950# dry. and it is a very surprising handling bike

The FJR is not a track bike, It ain't no cruiser either. I can tell you I am every Inch as comfortable on my FJR as I was on my Gold-wing, esp when it is hot outside and i need some wind over my body

Dude, wifey and I exceed the 415 lbs reccomended by the manufacturer by a substantial amount and we have ridden as much as 2300 miles in 7 days together. We tried out a wing last fall and she much prefered the fjr to the wing, which was cool with me. Like comparing a buick roadmaster to a mazda rx8. Last summer I rode a fz1 at wfo in park city. While lots of fun, the fjr is significantly larger and more comfortable. In a perfect world, i'd have both.

Just ride one, you will be hooked.

Well, not sure I fare in the age category here ( I turn 31 in 2 weeks ), but I came from an SV1KS with Heli's to the FJR and have been extremely pleased with my decision. I'm 6'3 and roughly 270# and the with the wife on exceed the limit easily, but it still is able to handle withthe best of them. Now when I'm out on my own with the guys, I can pretty much keep up except with the liter bikes, but it still rails with the best of them. I bought mine without riding it, only sitting on it, but wish I would have bought it much sooner. Still plenty of power and handleing ability for aggressive days, and comfortable enough to not have to stop every hour to stretch.

She likes the VTX, but since the crash I have lost strength in my right arm and that bike is very top heavy, so with her on it I have problems in town.
If you think the VTX is top heavy, you DEFINATELY don't want an FJR.
I am going to have to agree with that. I've never ridden a VTX, but I had a V-star and have ridden several other crusiers. The cruisers have much better low speed maneuverability, and you can generally get more of your feet on the floor with a cruiser.

If the FJR wasn't top heavy, we wouldn't always be telling people to buy sliders as your first farkle. Nor would I have dropped it 2 times!

I have an 03 FZ1, and speed wise, they aren't that different. Torque is way different though.

Handling, I actually prefer the FJR. The FJR is more solid through a turn. The FZ feels twitchy and not as planted. However, the FZ1 is much more flickable (at least compared to an FJR).

I think the FJR meets all of the needs you posted, except for one very important one, the whole top heavy issue.

If you're interested in the "performance envelope" of the FJR, here's one example with the bags on. Stock bike, stock tires.I've posted this before, so lots of you have seen the video.

FJR trackday.
I don't think our local sport rider groups would allow such a bike out on one of thier track days. I remember when I brought My FZ-1, they laughed, but the fizzy showed em. As a matter of facted on the track my fizzy was only a couple tenths slower than my Gixxer ( that's miles in raceing, but not bad for just track day use.)

But really, that looks good enough for some comfortable street fun.

I went and looked at an 07 today ( I like the looks of it in black cherry) But they won't let me ride it, so Saturday I am planning on going to another deal that has an 03 that I think I can try, how much difference would there be betwwen the 03 and the 07?

There will be a difference, but its not huge. The power will feel the same. The handling is close,at least it seems close to me.The suspension is slightly stiffer on the 07. I had an 03, was off the bike for 2-3 years then was given a new 07. I had my 03 ona track but I'm no racer by any means.

Glenn

I have a 06 and love the bike. When the wife is not on the bike I drive more aggressive. I am still very impressed with the acceleration and handling. I recently got pulled over leaving a stop light shortly after it turned green by an un-marked car that was in another lane. The LEO was a nice guy and did not write me a ticket. He informed me that I had left the intersection so fast that I hit the speed limit of 55MPH before he was even got to 10MPH. He was sure I was speeding, but my top speed was 57MPH by the radar. I did not get a ticket because I did not break the speed limit by more then 2MPH, pull the front wheel of the ground, spin the rear tire, or look reckless. It was simply a very quick acceleration. In truth, I got the feeling I got pulled over because the acceleration impressed him and he is a fellow rider that wanted to look at the bike.

However, it is a completely different bike with the wife on the bike with me. And that is just fine for me. I do not drive aggressively when the wife is on the bike. The rides are much slower and relaxed. I do however agree with others about having a trunk or backrest in place for the wife. The first couple times we were out I kept feeling her jerk as if I was tossing her off the back. From my position it did not feel as if I was acceleration that fast, but she swears I was accelerating faster then I did on our old CBR. She now has a truck back there when she is on the bike with me.

I think if I was worried about my arm strength I wouldn’t be buying a bike with the intention of doing wheelies. As for your wife enjoying the bike that all depends again on your arm strength. No disrespect intended!

The main reason I sold my FJR was that is was just too top heavy for me.

It weighs the same as my Harley, but the FJR weight is up fairly high.

I lowered the FJR ( I'm 5'6", 30 inch inseam) so much I had to take off the center stand.

Riding was no problem, but things like getting gas and parking were sometimes a bit of a hassle, especially in the rain on slippery cement.

It's just a big bike.

Add the weight of a passenger and luggage, and you're got a lot of weight to deal with.

If you had to add Nos to a VTX1800, I'm not sure anything short of a Boss Hoss will make you happy.

but Good luck.

Mary

For reference, I'm 5'11" with long legs that let me just flatfoot the bike at a stop. I've only had my FJR for a few months, but I find it extremely top-heavy, particularly with the wife on the back. As others have said, once you're moving, it's fine, but for around town and in stop and go traffic, it's a handful with a passenger on the back. When I bought the FJR, I was hoping it would be a great all around bike and I was going to sell my Harley Sportster 1200; now, I'm going to keep the Sportster for running errands, a quick run to a nearby town for lunch with the wife, etc. I love the FJR for riding solo on long trips, but if I'd known I was going to end up with a 'city' bike and a 'trip' bike, I'd have gone for a 'Wing and been done with it.

I'm a long time but older rider (48) and of all the bikes I've owned and riden nothing beats the FJR. But, given your requirements I would not buy one. It is top heavy and all my riders (my adult kids) loved the rush but felt cramped. How about you change your requirements. Buy an FJR for you and get a different cruiser for you and your wife. My wife rides a Roadliner 1900. She choose it specifically because of how easy it is to handle despite its weight. My wife is 46 and only 130 lbs and she has no problem with the bike. She choose it after comparing it to the VTX 1800. She loves it and she is an old FJ jockey.

Eric, I am fortunate enough to have a nice collection of bikes to ride. Like many others on the forum, when I want to have some silly fun, I ride one of my Blackbirds, solo. My wife will only ride passenger on my FJR, (I just bought an '08 in addition to my '05) and we have taken quite a few multiple hundred mile days together. With peg lowering brackets, an aftermarket seat (if you find it necessary) and a decent backrest (aftermarket or topcase), and possibly a different windscreen, you should be comfortable for the long haul.

BTW, You can find an '08 (some improvements over the '07 and it's BLACK :yahoo: for $ 11,999, pretty much in your backyard at D&H cycle.