Cold Weather Riding

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
FJR is put away during the winter (salt) months but I run the KLR all winter. After reading about Paul's trip www.paulmondor.com I had to go for a ride yesterday (-15C). All those ice patches keep you sharp. :rolleyes:

Canadian FJR

Out for a errand in January, and couple of day trips to Old Orchard Beach, Maine this month. Seen several scooters out in-town.

Sullivan.

Sully, you're an animal!!

Your '08 AE is gonna be a rusted crusted corroded lump of spunk and my pristine BBB '05 is still gonna be shiney and lookin' like new. ;)

Then we'll see who's gloating about riding around in the New England winter spooge. :p

(the above post was made on Friday)

Last edited by a moderator:
I've done extended riding in the mid 20's but I cheat.

Gerbings jacket, pants, and gloves. Hand guards. 2pr of socks and a balaclava. Windshield up. Good to go.

But I don't go out in the salt. My cars are dissapearing fast enough from that $hit. I don't need the bike to do the same. Salt is not kind to aluminum, or anything else really.

I usually wait for a good rain or 2 to wash things off. The good part is the state is only using pure salt now so the springtime sand threats have gone way done.

Beautiful weekend. Probably saw a half-dozen other mc on the road.

I know what you mean about the salt! My truck has had the brake lines replaced due to the newer anti-icing and de-icing blends being used on the roads, newest being the liquid brine/calcium. I hear it reactivates each time it gets wet, so the municipal vehicles are being hard-hit with repair costs as they don't get a thorough "bottom-blast" at the car wash to remove it.

At least the E-10 gasoline (bad) is getting used up on a regular basis.

Have a good week. Almost March.

Sullivan