Cold Weather

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimLor

Reaction score
Well, left the house (N. VA) at 0540 today and discovered that 49 degrees is about the limit for my perforated summer gloves and Mesh jacket w/wind liner - have HT overpants that'll be just fine w/liner. My CB +4+3 should be here today or tomorrow and I'm sure that'll help with keeping the wind off my hands and body. Anybody have a recommendation for a winter glove that's still flexible and not bulky. I'm more than willing to add silk inserts when absolutely necessary, but am willing to sacrifice some warmth for flexibility. I'm going to get the Widder heated vest and may add heated handgrips at some point. Thanks for your comments.

Do you have or have you considered the V-Strom handguards? They sure help in allowing the use of a lighter glove. If you've got GPS, audio systems, radar detector, etc. that require user input (pushing buttons), most heavy, winter gloves lack the "feel" needed to operate the electronic devices mentioned. I can usually get by with a a pair of non-ventilated leather gloves (your choice) and a pair of glove liners when using the handguards.

You may find you don't need so much glove with this farkle-

ThrottleSideInstalled.jpg

They make all the difference in the world. Story here-

https://www.fjrtech.com/getdbitem.cfm?item=30

I normally don't like to wear gloves at all but do carry a pair of ski gloves for when it just gets too cold on my old hands. Well, last night I was coming home from a visit to Albany on the NY Thruway after dark and it got cold. Dropped below 40 degrees F over night. Guess what, no gloves.... I had been rained on the day before and left my rain gear out to dry. The gloves and a few other things are in the same bag. Sitting home in the garage.

So, I guess I'll be adding this Farkle to my list, near the top. Won't cost any more than taking the wife out to dinner and she won't mind if I don't tell her. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I normally don't like to wear gloves at all .........
Please, reconsider.

I had my first get-off this past summer. Only doing about 25mph, and slid along the pavement for about 20 feet. I had all the right gear on, so no road rash whatsoever. If I had not been wearing gloves, the bottom of my left hand would be missing a lot of skin, and most likely some muscle.

Gloves are cheap and simple protection. I highly recommend wearing some that have at least some basic protection. I.E. - Motorcycle gloves, not ski gloves.

Yo, someone supplement my searching inadequacies here... Since someone brought them up, does someone have a part list somewhere for the older style ('04?) V-Strom hand guards? I want to get the older style on there so I don't have to dink with my Throttlemeisters.

I normally don't like to wear gloves at all .........
Please, reconsider.
I know you're right. Thanks for the concern. I made my daughter get a pair of motorcycle gloves when she started riding. Guess I'll try some on next time I'm in a bike shop.

I wear leather gloves every time I ride, even if its a 2 mile jaunt to the corner store- for exactly the reason Scooter states- Tissue loss prevention. I've had too many get-offs wear my gloves have sacrificed themselves on my behalf.

I like thin gloves however for comfort- thick ones make my hands cramp up on long rides and I feel 'out of touch' with the normal handlebar feedback. So I use the V-Strom guard and Dual-Star heated grips farkles to manage temperature related comfort issues.

A great combination. Very effective, reasonably priced.

FJReady

I never wore gloves until I got Frank. Now, I've gotten to the point where it feels weird without them, so, it becomes a matter of habit, like wearing a lid.