ColorRite, a Helmet and a Fender Extender :)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ablumny

Reaction score
I recently acquired a 2010 FJR, Liquid Silver. A big nod to ColorRite; I bought a spray can of my color and it's perfect.

I decided to strip my black helmet and see if I could paint it to match. Prep prep prep they say and so right.

Then I picked up a Pyramid plastics fender extension and painted it as well. Both got an automotive grade clear coat out of a can and both look near factory. I went with abs epoxy for the attachment and its rock solid. I can pick up the fender by the extension it's so strong.

Anyway, again big nod to ColorRite. Color was perfect and the material covered very well.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-NWtf7XkLhho/VNV9AqoxaZI/AAAAAAAANwA/3DGjqdXLOJA/s2048-d/IMG_0249.PNG

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-gmeV3k3uNNI/VNV9BC9SIFI/AAAAAAAANwE/AUsX4qmWf_M/s2048-d/IMG_0250.PNG

Looks good, I like the Fender extender.

Hopefully you don't take this wrong, Back in a different life I use to paint my helmets with Grey color primer, silly thing now that I think about it. I never thought I was bad enough for black or good enough for white.

Point being is, I would get flamed for doing so as a lot of folks back then thought it ruined the integrity of the helmet. Paints are different now days but it made me wonder.

I didn't use colorrites primer, honestly I had no expectations, based on my lack of experience, that this would come out so good so I only invested in the color. I got a can of Home Depot high temp, light colored primer, figured light color would be better under silver (no idea if that's true!)(Panman) and a can of Duplicolor BCL0125 clear off of Amazon, (sete bond)

I've watched to many Wheeler Dealers, channeled my inner Ed China for anyone who watches the show. Keyed with a scotch pad, bit of sanding, acetone to clean the surface, primed, bit of wet sanding, paint and clear. I put three coats of color and four of clear.

Of course it's 10degrees around here, did all this in the house, nice mess, understanding wife but no idea how it'll all hold up during the riding season.....I think it'll be fine.

Well that's my story. Thx for the good words, maybe it helps someone out there!

Looks mighty fine to me, Ablumny. Good Job!

If you would, post up after a half-dozen rides in the sunshine, please. Some of us don't often deal with 10F, and things work really differently at the other end of the thermometer.

28f this morning but still recovering from 22" of snow and more coming. It'll be a while for those warmer temp tests :)

You got lucky. I have had mixed results from Colorrite...
sadsmiley.gif

I wish there were alternative sources for factory m/c paint.

Good job on the paint. I also used ABS glue for attaching my fenda extenda. Looks better and works better than screws plus it ain't gonna come off! You are a much better painter than I my friend! I would likely have streaks and runs, then after that, screw up the clear application too. Well done.
thumbsupsmileyanim.gif