COLORTUNE For Spark Plugs

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LSUBOY

Reaction score
I use a tool for syncing my carbs that I got from www.carbtune.com; They also sell a tool called the Colortune, which is a sparkplug jacket that allows you to see the flame of the spark. In theory, different spark colors mean different levels of richness thru leaness.

Have any of you guys ever used the Colortune to set the air/fuel mixture on any of your bikes?

Yourturn!

I would think that to accurately measure your mixture you would need matched and calibrated plugs. I don't know how you could do that or rely on the results you get without them (or even with them for that matter).

For just over 100 bucks you can get a get a gas analyzer that you can use to read the exhaust and then set each cylinder, once you install the ports in your header pipes.

Last edited by a moderator:
LSUBOY Posted on Feb 22 2006, 12:53 AM

Have any of you guys ever used the Colortune to set the air/fuel mixture on any of your bikes?
Yes I have. About 40 years ago -- that's how old these things are (...and dates me, too). They work as advertised but I doubt their effectiveness on modern bikes -- unless, you just want the neat experience of looking into the combustion chamber while the engine is running. They really (only)(imo) had some utility when used on an engine that had both its spark plugs in plain view (almost impossible today) and an old carburator (Linkert) with handy adjusters. I always thought they were dangerous -- that the clear plastic? piece would suddenly leave and take out an eye, or something....

And, I don't remember them actually determining the final fuel mixture -- there was usually more test running, test riding, and adjusting to be done. Be happy for F.I., closed-loop, Lambda sensors, micro-processors, etc. -- all much better than what went before. Again, (imho)....

You would be further ahead to drill a small hole in each exhaust pipe and install a temp probe and a 4 cylinder EGT readout to allow you to watch EGT under load and under actual operating temps. That would give you a much better idea of mixture variation between cylinders and the actual operating conditions of each of the cylinders if that is what you are interested in.

The little devices mentioned are maybe good for a simple engine at idle and light revs where you can get down and look at them with the fuel tank off and such. Does absolutely no good at heavy or full throttle or rolling down the road. Pretty useless I would say....