Comfort tips needed

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rdavis236

Reaction score
I just finished a long trip on my 07 FJR from Baltimore, MD to Meredith, NH. Was about 600 miles each way. The first day, I spent around 10 hours on the bike due to difficulty finding a place to sleep for the night. Turns out I wasn't the only one who thought it would be nice to see the leaves . . .

Did the way up in two days and felt pretty sore in my neck, wrists and especially knees. I decided, foolishly, to do the ride back, all 610 miles, in one day. I enjoyed the ride and it was epic, but, again, some parts were hurting. https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//style_emoti...ult/dribble.gif

So, from reading the forums (thanks!) I am guessing some Heli risers would really help me out with the neck and perhaps the wrists. If so, which ones to get?

The stock seat wasn't too bad, but I knew that was going to be replaced before I took the trip.

However, my biggest concern is the knee problem. It doesn't seem like I can move the pegs or adjust them to any degree. Even so, I don't think that would help much.

Ok, here is some background . . .

I am not a large person, just 5'7 and 180lbs (don't know how you taller folk fold yourselves up on this bike), I have not made any modifications to my 07 FJR AE. I have had the bike since January 08, so it is not new, and I have ridden it (2500 miles before the trip)

I know, doing that 600 mile one day back was a bit much, but I don't think I should have been suffering THAT much. I took a break about every 1.5 hours.

Help me farkle kings!

Keep riding, you haven't even got used to the bike yet. Seriously! When I first got mine i had some of the same thoughts. If after another 3000 miles your still having issues, then learn how to search the forum for the things that you think will help.

Aftermarket Seat

Adjustable Pegs

Handlebar Risers

Etc... It's all here. If it can be done its prolly on here. Hell some people talk about putting speakers and stereo on there things? :huh:

JW

Last edited by a moderator:
There are a couple of things I do for a long ride. First is I take a couple of asprins or tylenol before I start. By the time you feel sore it's too late. I also have some of those long distance riding shorts. They seem to reduce the butt ache pretty well. I'm 6'2" and they makes long days more tolerable.

I'm with JWilly. Ride more. It WILL get better. Promise.

For riding shorts, go buy some decent bicycle shorts.

Ever look at what them boys are sitting on for 8 hours a day?

Yes your knees will get soar! At least mine do anyway. Some of the things I do to help are as follows.

1)Take 1 excedrin before leaving on long rides (as mentioned)

2)change positions on the seat (this also helps with arm fatigue)

A:balls on tank, arms relaxed hanging down

B:a$$ back, arms straight out and locked

3)Move feet back so that your heel is on the passenger pegs. (Negative, if 2up)

4)Occasionally stretch legs out in front of you, tighten muscles and squeeze seat. (better done while on a straight away section of road)

Lets face it, its not normal to sit for 10 hrs. Anything over 500 miles and something is going to get soar. If you want comfort get a goldwing. For me I am not ready for one yet. I am having waaaaaaaay to much fun on my feeeeejr.

I'm not a long distance expert but I'll put up my .02. After my first SS1k a few months ago my knees aching was my biggest complaint so I purchased a set of the highway pegs. I think being able to position you legs differently once in a while is more beneficial than adjusting the stock peg position. Beads on the stock seat kept my bottom comfy and using a throttle lock occasionally let me reposition the top half and my neck and wrist were content with that. I may invest in some risers some day but moving the bars to the back position made a decent improvement in my riding position.

I'm not a long distance expert but I'll put up my .02. After my first SS1k a few months ago my knees aching was my biggest complaint so I purchased a set of the highway pegs. I think being able to position you legs differently once in a while is more beneficial than adjusting the stock peg position. Beads on the stock seat kept my bottom comfy and using a throttle lock occasionally let me reposition the top half and my neck and wrist were content with that. I may invest in some risers some day but moving the bars to the back position made a decent improvement in my riding position.
I wore bicycle shorts so my butt was not a big issue. I noticed many of you put on sliders. Can you put your feet up on those? Even for a short time? I also was using a CrampBuster, thank goodness. Others have said it . . . best money I have spent on a bike.

I had the handlebars put in the rearmost position. I have not been blessed with long arms.

Ok, no one has mentioned it yet but I am sold on wild bill highway pegs. They do reduce your clearance but I don't ride it like I stole it and I did an ss1000 and the best farkle that allowed me to complete it in relative comfort was the pegs with the 4" extension bar. Good luck.

+2 on Wild Bill's highway pegs. The highway pegs let you stretch out for bit, crack the 'ol knee joints and continue in the normal riding position for *MUCH* longer than without them. I don't ride for miles on end using them, but the few minutes to stretch out really make a difference for me. 34" inseam here

I have added Helibars, Pro Grip 714 hand grips, and Madco throttle lock and that has taken care of most of the hand,wrist and neck pain. My knees do get sore though. for long trips I adjust the seat to the high setting. I do put my feet on the sliders occasionally and that does help. I may also look at the Wild Bill brackets, but from looking at pictures it doesn't seem like much of a difference in position. If you don't have sliders on your bike put them on for protection, and then you can try putting your feet on them.

Got my stock seat customized in Rockville... if your local check out www.johnlongo.net - the best farkle and under a $100.

good luck!

I have an 06. I am 6'1" tall. I have heli bar risers. I like the seat in the lower position. I use a sheepskin which has two benefits, the obvious one is the tush for the cush, but more importantly it opens the distance from the seat to the pegs. This combo relieves the discomfort at the neck (risers) and the knees (sheepskin adding height).

Now I will admit that the sheepskin is something I once bought for another use, and it is a God awful champagne color (right Fred W - he didn't want to be seen with it at EOM). I really need to buy a nice black one. I thing it is Alaskan leather or sheepskins who have some nice purpose made

ones.

CCook

I'd like to reinforce the responses that say it will get better with more time. There are muscle conditioning and muscle memory issues that are harder to resolve as you get older.... but they do continue to resolve, at least they have for me.

Also, there's nothing like taking a break. You can live with about anything if you know you're going to get off and stretch soon. I usually keep my trip segments in the 2 to 3 hour range, and I will give myself at least 20 minutes to stretch, walk around, and refresh. If things are especially buggy, I'll stop more frequently to clean off the face shield. If you can average 70 mph while you're actually driving (and down here you can probably actually average more like 80 mph without too much risk of getting a ticket), then it only takes a bit over 8.5 hours to do 600 miles. Add in two or three 20 minute stops, and you still haven't spent 10 hours on the road. If you start at 8 am, you're off the road for the day by 6 pm.

+2 on the Wild Bill highway pegs, absolutely the best investment so far. As stated in prior posts, I don't ride with my feet out there a lot, but it allows me to change the hip angle enough to relieve muscle cramps, etc. On the IBA ride last year, I was almost in tears coming home, the day before was about 800 miles, the second day was about 600 miles, and close to 90 degrees. That last 600 miles I thought my hip joints were going to lock up. I also have the Linker risers, taller windshield, throttle lock, BMW grips, heated grips, and getting ready to order a Russell seat.

As the others are saying, easy enough now to ride out a tank, then take a 10 minute break, then get back on. I usually ride with a buddy on a Honda that has a 120 to 140 mile range, so get more breaks.

My next invention. Oh, can't let that out yet, have to apply for the patent... ;)

+1 on the sheepskin, but more important, stand on the pegs, stretch, and twist, every 20 minutes. On the hour, 20 past, and 40 past. You won't believe what a difference it makes.

Some mods are best done to the rider instead of the steed. Another possible solution for the knee soreness is Omega III fatty acids. I used to have pain in my joints and ever since I've been taking fish oil caps twice a day, I get no pain when riding except in my butt, which as was mentioned, some kinda low dose pain med before you start, then again after four or so hours should help a great deal. I'm sure the highway pegs also help, and I had my seat rebuilt which now seems very comfy.

I am surprised that this thread didn't get stuffed into NEPRT. There is sooo much information on this board about this subject that it'll make your head spin. This same question gets asked very, very, very, VERY often.

My biggest advice is to skip the Wild Bill Highway Pegs... & do not put aluminum sliders on your bike. Oh, and as Jason said... let yourself get used to the bike before deciding that you need a crapload of add-ons. You might just save yourself a few $$$.

Oh, forgot to say... I am the same height as you and weigh a few lbs more... but not much. What I do when my legs get tired of being cramped up, is dangle them straight down or actually stand on the bike. There is an advantage to being as tall as we are. You can dangle your legs at full rest w/o scraping yout tootsies on the ground.

I used to have those WB peg things. I see them as a hazard if you go down. I myself leaked oil when the bike was dropped. Now, image sliding down the road at speed... never mind the reports of folks pogo-ing their bike on these. If you are not aware, the brackets for the pegs bolt onto engine covers.

Good luck & congrats on the new bike.

Don't change the bike other than the seat and bar adjustments that are built in from the factory until you put a few miles on it. A few thousand miles is not enough time in the saddle for you to get accustomed to the riding position.

Search the forum for some information on Yoda. The riding position will make you more comfortable.

After you wear out a few sets of tires, if you still feel uncomfortable, then look at after market seat options and bar risers.

And, being a mature rider with many aches and pains from my misspent youth, I eat some ibuprofen before I leave for a long ride, and take a bottle with me.

Thanks to all for the tips. Especially on the local seat custom link. Even though I suffered a little, this bike was a MONSTER on that 600 mile ride home straight through! I didn't realize how powerful this bike was until taking a long trip.

Till next time . . .