Comfort tips needed

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not an expert on long distance riding but pain is my constant companion. With that in mind, here are a few tips:

Concentrate on relaxing. I have found sometimes that I am gripping the tank with my knees. Relax and let them find their natural position.

Twisty roads seem to cause less soreness for me. Maybe it is just the distraction from the pain.

Ibuprofen is my friend and on long trips I have been know to use Celebrex.

A tight throttle return spring will cause arm tension, soreness and increase perceived vibration.

I stand up on the pegs when safe to do so to increase circulation and stretch out the muscles.

Wear hearing protection. At the end of the day you'll feel much better for it.

My Sargent seat spreads the overly heavy load. Loosing weight is something to consider.

I never drink enough water and I pay the price. I'm a slow learner on this score. HYDRATE!

I feel like I did a 600 miler and haven't even got on the bike yet. Long story. But do as other's said and even if you don't think you need a good seat, get one, you won't be sorry. I would reccomnd Russell, Meyer, or Sargent. Or custom, I went the custom route. And lastly, don't grip the bars too hard. Lite grip will not only help you ride better, you won't get tired out.

PM. <>< :D

Last edited by a moderator:
+1 on the sheepskin, but more important, stand on the pegs, stretch, and twist, every 20 minutes. On the hour, 20 past, and 40 past. You won't believe what a difference it makes.
+1 on ther standing up. I started riding dirt bikes in the desert where you stand up most of the time. It only takes a short time standing up to get the blood flow back in the legs and cool off. Be CAREFUL I have heard some cops considerate stunt riding to stand up and may pull you over. Doubtful espeacially on a bike with bags and big windsheild!

+1 on the sheepskin, but more important, stand on the pegs, stretch, and twist, every 20 minutes. On the hour, 20 past, and 40 past. You won't believe what a difference it makes.
+1 on ther standing up. I started riding dirt bikes in the desert where you stand up most of the time. It only takes a short time standing up to get the blood flow back in the legs and cool off. Be CAREFUL I have heard some cops considerate stunt riding to stand up and may pull you over. Doubtful espeacially on a bike with bags and big windsheild!
Im six ft and I start to cramp up about after an hour. I also found standing up on the pegs for 30 seconds to a minute can be quite the cure the stiffness. To prepare for a long ride, I drink about a gallon of water the day before, eat really healthy and I also pop three advil just before I set off.

I am not an LD rider, but I was involved in athletics for much of my life. Now at an older age my knees are feeling the effects. I really like the Yoda position, in my case it feels like my legs are acting as shock absorbers , no wrist,back or elbow pain but I do get some stress in knees and my legs get tired. It made me realize it is really riding the bike vs sitting on it ( as in a passive act) Aspirin helps, but this winter I am going to work those quads much more for endurance riding.