Coming from BMW GSA ..questions

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Twray

Reaction score
Just sold my GSA and plan on buying a 2013 FJR. A couple of questions are: How difficult is it to do your own maintenance and is the alternator output on the new FJR enough to run heated clothing.

Thanks in advance...

Just sold my GSA and plan on buying a 2013 FJR. A couple of questions are: How difficult is it to do your own maintenance and is the alternator output on the new FJR enough to run heated clothing.

Thanks in advance...
Maintenance, compared to the GSA, is like working on a Briggs & Stratton. Alternator output is 590 watts...plenty for heated clothing, but your GSA Latte Machine will have to stay at home.

If being able to ride over 80mph using the cruise control, better look elsewhere. Some assholes around here really think this is a deal-breaker on the 2013. Personally, my finances and license can't afford the $300+ ticket for getting dinged doing 80+mph, but that's just me. I'm not a scofflaw like some.

I'm 63, the GSA is just too tall and top heavy for me. I motox raced when I was young and if people think the GSA is even a sometimes dirt bike they are kidding themselves. It is basically a touring bike with very marginal off road capacity. Might as well have a touring bike like the FJR and a dedicated dirt bike for the same price.

I'm just interested in a sport touring bike that is fun to ride long distance and not too tall for my 30" inseam....not interested in doing anymore off road stuff.

Yer gonna tippy toe. I do with my 30" inseam. It's never bothered me, though. Then again...a lot of stuff doesn't bother me. Good thing for you is that the seats are adjustable now.

I have nothing helpful to add but I am curious. Why if you are getting off of a BMW are you not looking at another BMW? My first thought would be the R1200RT but it is also quite tall. Naturally what I want to hear is how unreliable, awful, expensive and ugly the BMW is compared to the Yamaha.

I was just about to suggest an FJR and a Tiger 800XC (which is still not a dirt bike, but better than a GSA) but the XC's seat is even taller than the GSA's.

Sounds like there's about 200 watts of spare alternator. Not class leading, but better than it usta-was.

As for the box of rotten grape juice, will depend on the dimensions of the box. Or you can pull the bladder out of the box, that'll fit just fine.

Yer gonna tippy toe. I do with my 30" inseam. It's never bothered me, though. Then again...a lot of stuff doesn't bother me. Good thing for you is that the seats are adjustable now.
+1.

BUT!

A Corbin helped me immensely. And I actually find the Corbin comfortable.

I have a GS and an FJR. Welcome from San Diego!

You can run heated gear, lights, GPS charge your cell phone and run a radar detector at the same time.

It's a much different ride. Got to be something inherently wrong with you to sell a GSA though. Probably make you fit in just fine around here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited by a moderator: