Comments on the Auto Shift?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flying Kiwis

Reaction score
Hi guys. I'm looking at bikes for our tour across the states in Sept and I'm interested in your comments on the FJR1300AE. I currently have a 2006 FJR1300A which I'm very happy with but in searching for a bike in the US I've noticed a large number of the AE version available. When I was looking to buy my last bike I noticed some comments from riders stating that the electronic shift was not as smooth at take off and at lower speeds ie, manouvering in car parks etc. This is a concern for me particularly as I'm usually riding fairly well loaded up and with the missus on the back. She demands a smooth ride lol. I'd really appreciate your comments and feed back on this.

Thanks, Allan.

Doesn't take too long to get used to it. I still use the foot shift most of the time so its not much different than a 'normal' bike. Not sure what some people are complaining about in the parking lots car parks, never really bothered me.

It is more forgiving about starting off in the wrong gear.

Might be a little harder to sell if you are trying to get out of it quick when you go back home.

I like mine, I'm going to hang onto it for awhile and run up some miles.

Brian

Three weeks so far on my 07 and I absolutely love it. Think of it this way, the next time to go to add a reply, when you click your left mouse button, you just shifted into 2nd.

Hi guys. I'm looking at bikes for our tour across the states in Sept and I'm interested in your comments on the FJR1300AE. I currently have a 2006 FJR1300A which I'm very happy with but in searching for a bike in the US I've noticed a large number of the AE version available. When I was looking to buy my last bike I noticed some comments from riders stating that the electronic shift was not as smooth at take off and at lower speeds ie, manouvering in car parks etc. This is a concern for me particularly as I'm usually riding fairly well loaded up and with the missus on the back. She demands a smooth ride lol. I'd really appreciate your comments and feed back on this.
Thanks, Allan.
I put a couple thousand miles on one back in 2006, then didn't ride at all until I bought one late last fall. I haven't had a chance to get any serious miles on it yet, but I think you'll find that it might take a little time to get used to it. It is definitely possible to make smooth starts and shifts with this bike. I still haven't gotten to the point where that happens all the time, but it's getting better. One of the tips I've seen on this forum and that I have personally proven is to shift through into 3rd fairly quickly before pouring on the coal. I've also seen posts that said shifting seems smoother with one or the other available method (toe shifter vs paddle), but I'm not sure I've got the experience with it yet to tell the difference. Also, you will likely still want to take the same throttle action you would normally do when shifting with a standard clutch (roll power off just slightly during the gear change). If you don't, the engine will rev up during the shift. Even with the little time I have on the AE, I hardly even think about pulling a clutch lever anymore. That being said, one of the things I miss about a traditional clutch lever is the ability to feather that friction point to my advantage during slow speed maneuvering (like through a car park). Like anything else, it's experience with it that will make it smooth.

Thanks, Allan.
Just bought mine, took about 1 minute and 2 laps around the dealer parking lot to be competent with it, not smooth but competent. I never did have a low speed problem with it. I would caution though, don't do what I almost did, I was in traffic at a red light, bike was in 1st gear, and almost blipped the throttle while waiting for light to turn green. Would have had a hard time explaining to the person I just rear ended. :unsure: I think I'm going to start going into neutral at red lights to avoid accidents caused by lack of brain activity, at least until I have a set routine down in my head.

You'll find lot's of AE owners that will defend their choice to the death.

There is nothing particularly "wrong" with the AE auto clutch bikes, per se.

But if you are comfortable with operating a clutch, the only reason ( that I can think of) to rent an AE while here in the states would be if you are looking for a new experience or they are cheaper to rent, or if you are planning on developing a limp left wrist. ( <-- Friday comment)

I think that the reason more AEs are available to rent is they did not sell well to new owners, probably due to higher msrp and more unknowns (reliability, maintenance, etc.) so leftovers were sold at fire sale prices. I'd bet the rental places snapped them up thinking they would be less of a problem for new or inexperienced rider/renters.

Try to think of it this way. If you were about to embark on cross country sport tour of the US in a new Corvette, what do you think you would like to try, a standard on-the-floor shift with clutch pedal, or mounted on the wheel paddle shifters? Is that an apt analogue to the choice between an A and an AE? I don't know for sure, as I have never driven a paddle shifted sports car. I can relate that my riding experience with the AE has been just great, and I have been riding motorcycles since age 19. In all honesty though, you should probably stick with the standard model as for you there will be no learning curve, which you don't need, with your wife on the back, fully loaded, driving on the "wrong" side of the road, poor American cage drivers, etc. That said, if you do get the AE, try to get a day or so riding solo in a light traffic situation before you begin your tour.

After owning a AE for almost 2 years and going back to using a clutch you really learn to appreciate the AE. No missed shifts, tired clutch hand or the pucker moments on a really steep hill and having to make a hard right onto a fast incline. A breeze with the AE , a lot of other stuff to manage with a clutch. After 15 years shifting the AE was sweet. It only it was about 200 lbs lighter I would have kept mine.

After owning a AE for almost 2 years and going back to using a clutch you really learn to appreciate the AE. No missed shifts, tired clutch hand or the pucker moments on a really steep hill and having to make a hard right onto a fast incline. A breeze with the AE , a lot of other stuff to manage with a clutch. After 15 years shifting the AE was sweet. It only it was about 200 lbs lighter I would have kept mine.
6,000 mi. on my '09 AE.Absolutely love it. From 1st to 2nd slight roll off the throttle.Same for 2nd to 3rd.Remaining gears steady throttle.Can confidently ride below 5mph for distance so slow speed maneuvers no problem.The AE is a joy in NYC rush hour commuting due to no left hand fatigue.

Hey guys, thanks for all the great feed back on this subject, I've read through a couple of other threads, thanks Dusty, and I'm now thinking that maybe the AE is not actually something to be scared of after all.

We're actually coming to the states in Sept for a month and plan on riding across the country East to West finishing in LA. I have a contact in LA who can ship a bike home to NZ for us at the right price so we're going to purchase a bike rather then hire. I'm hoping to find a late model, 08+, low mileage, under 5000, hopefullly with a few extras like cruise control and trunk and larger windscreen etc.

If any of you have one to sell or know of someone that does I could definitely be interested, it has to be on the east coast somewhere tho.

Thanks again for all the advise, I'm now quite looking forward to possibly getting the AE version.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey guys, thanks for all the greta feed bcak on this subject, I've read through a couple of other threads, thanks Dusty, and I'm now thinking that maybe the AE is not actually something to be scared of after all.
We're actually coming to the states in Sept for a month and plan on riding across the country East to West finishing in LA. I have a contact in LA who can ship a bike home to NZ for us at the right price so we're going to purchase a bike rather then hire. I'm hoping to find a late model, 08+, low mileage, under 5000, hopefullly with a few extras like cruise control and trunk and larger windscreen etc.

If any of you have one to sell or know of someone that does I could definitely be interested, it has to be on the east coast somewhere tho.

Thanks again for all the advise, I'm now quite looking forward to possibly getting the AE version.
You are welcome. Hope you are able to find an aftermarket seat(s) for your tour. I know I would not want to set off across the US on the stock seats. Ouch!

...I noticed some comments from riders stating that the electronic shift was not as smooth at take off and at lower speeds ie, manouvering in car parks etc. This is a concern for me particularly as I'm usually riding fairly well loaded up and with the missus on the back. She demands a smooth ride lol. I'd really appreciate your comments and feed back on this.
I bought my 2008 Advanced Edition in late November, most of my prior experience was on a Ninja 250. I had test ridden an ordinary FJR and didn't like the heavy clutch pull. When I found a leftover AE for thousands less than list I jumped on it. My first ride was 500 miles, from the dealer to my home.

I think if smoothness is a major factor to you I'd suggest you consider an ordinary FJR. Learning to use the paddle shifter (I've shifted with the foot pedal about 3 times) takes about 200 feet. Learning to be really really smooth shifting at low speeds takes a little time. Shifts at speeds above 25mph or so on the AE are far smoother than what a human could do on his or her own.

I'm still adjusting to the jump from a 350 pound bike to a 650 pounder, but I think the 'parking lot' issues are way overstated, mostly by folks who have never ridden an AE. The key phrase that I read here is this: 'On the AE, your right foot replaces your left hand'. You make up for the lack of the primitive manual clutch by using a bit more trail braking. That's all there is too it.

Good luck with your trip, which ever model you choose I'm sure you'll have a great ride, and I hope you share your experiences with us here on the forum.

There is a reason Yamaha dropped the AE and if you look at any dealer inventory on the AE you will see the reason they are not good sellers. I have physcial issues with my left foot and cannot shift a regular bike so the AE is great for me but if it were not for this issue I do not see the need for the AE. I currently have an 08 AE with 45k and purchased another new 08 AE in case something would happen to my current bike.

I have an 08 ae, bought this january.

Two rules for slow speed u-turns. when the wife is on board and you want to make a u-turn, go left, left, left and right. when riding alone, right foot on the brake a little and keep the revs up somewhat, as auto-clutch disengages at about 1300 rpm.

And i am an old fart, and find zero problems with the auto-clutch. All the advice you read here on how to ride the ae is spot on.

I'm hoping to find a late model, 08+, low mileage, under 5000, hopefullly with a few extras like cruise control and trunk and larger windscreen etc.
Just a reality check - when you mean under 5000 you mean miles, not dollars, right? I figure you'll probably have to spend US$ ~8k minimum for a pretty naked 08 with under 5k miles on it, more with some farkles you might want for better touring (like a seat upgrade)...

Good luck with your search!

There is a reason Yamaha dropped the AE and if you look at any dealer inventory on the AE you will see the reason they are not good sellers. I have physcial issues with my left foot and cannot shift a regular bike so the AE is great for me but if it were not for this issue I do not see the need for the AE. I currently have an 08 AE with 45k and purchased another new 08 AE in case something would happen to my current bike.
Well, not many people really "need" an AE. But they are fun. If Yamaha had not marketed them so poorly, they might have sold better. As I understand it, Honda will be offering something like the AE on its new VFR1200. It will be interesting to see how it sells, and how Honda markets it.

I'm hoping to find a late model, 08+, low mileage, under 5000, hopefullly with a few extras like cruise control and trunk and larger windscreen etc.
Just a reality check - when you mean under 5000 you mean miles, not dollars, right? I figure you'll probably have to spend US$ ~8k minimum for a pretty naked 08 with under 5k miles on it, more with some farkles you might want for better touring (like a seat upgrade)...

Good luck with your search!
LOL yes I'm meaning 5000 miles not 5000 dollars. I am realistic in my expectations of price.