Comments on the Auto Shift?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
With two seasons on an AE, the only thing I never got used to as second nature was the issue of coasting. On a bike with a manual clutch, I will pull the clutch in at highway speed to remove my right hand from the throttle when I want to use my right hand. Can't do that on an AE. I was thinking about it this morning, and I must have acclimated pretty well to the electronic clutch, because I tend to pull the clutch in as I coast in traffic too, and the AE won't coast. This aspect never bothered me.

I think that the AE works surprisingly well. I am having seller's remorse, and may go back down to Sloans and bring it home.... or not....

I am somewhat surprised at how weak the spring market appears to be. I really thought that an FJR AE with less than 10,000 miles on it, and 3 more years of unlimited mileage warranty through Y.E.S. would be easy to sell, especially at a starting price not much greater than the Blue Book trade in value. Not so....

FWIW, I saw that BMW Triumph Ducatii of Daytona Beach is now offering several FJRs among their used inventory, so if anyone is looking for a deal, that might be a place to get one if you're in the Southeast. I've been pretty happy with my dealings there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Kiwi, Is this something you are/would be buying in advance or ar you expecting to buy upon arrival?
Looking to buy in advance if I can find the right deal. Happy to buy any time between now and then if the seller is happy to hold for us or if I can find someone to take delivery and store for us.

I had an '87 and a '01 Wing in the nine years before my '06AE (used). There are times that I still wouldn't mind having a clutch to feather, but overall I'm happier for enough other reasons, so there's no regret.

15000 miles on the AE and it is fantastic on the tight mountain roads. My learning curve was quick after dropping it in a parking lot. The throttle is a bit aggressive. Best way to handle around the gas pumps is simply to uses second or third gear. This helps slow speed handling since you don't have a clutch to pull in. I wish it was about 100# lighter,

Hi guys. I'm looking at bikes for our tour across the states in Sept and I'm interested in your comments on the FJR1300AE. I currently have a 2006 FJR1300A which I'm very happy with but in searching for a bike in the US I've noticed a large number of the AE version available. When I was looking to buy my last bike I noticed some comments from riders stating that the electronic shift was not as smooth at take off and at lower speeds ie, manouvering in car parks etc. This is a concern for me particularly as I'm usually riding fairly well loaded up and with the missus on the back. She demands a smooth ride lol. I'd really appreciate your comments and feed back on this.
Thanks, Allan.
As a proud owner of an AE, I can say the AE has spoiled me immensely. I have obviously gotten very well at riding it because I don't notice any sudden lurches or rough gear changes, nor do I have any issues with low speed manuevers. I said my AE has spoiled me because my wife rides the A and when I service her bike and subsequently take a test drive, I have to remind myself constantly that I have to clutch :blink: . I have read a lot of the posts about riding experiences on the AE and I don't see a lot of mention about the finger paddle gear shift. Let me tell you, I think it's the best thing since sliced bread. It's quick, sure and effortless.

I added electronic cruise control some time ago and it just made my experience on the AE a hundred times nicer. Maintenance on the AE has been a breeze for me so far. I'm glad I purchased the AE. It's a heck of a bike and a TRUE Sport Tourer IMHO!! :rolleyes: .

Hi guys. I'm looking at bikes for our tour across the states in Sept and I'm interested in your comments on the FJR1300AE. I currently have a 2006 FJR1300A which I'm very happy with but in searching for a bike in the US I've noticed a large number of the AE version available. When I was looking to buy my last bike I noticed some comments from riders stating that the electronic shift was not as smooth at take off and at lower speeds ie, manouvering in car parks etc. This is a concern for me particularly as I'm usually riding fairly well loaded up and with the missus on the back. She demands a smooth ride lol. I'd really appreciate your comments and feed back on this.
Thanks, Allan.
As a proud owner of an AE, I can say the AE has spoiled me immensely. I have obviously gotten very well at riding it because I don't notice any sudden lurches or rough gear changes, nor do I have any issues with low speed manuevers. I said my AE has spoiled me because my wife rides the A and when I service her bike and subsequently take a test drive, I have to remind myself constantly that I have to clutch :blink: . I have read a lot of the posts about riding experiences on the AE and I don't see a lot of mention about the finger paddle gear shift. Let me tell you, I think it's the best thing since sliced bread. It's quick, sure and effortless.

I added electronic cruise control some time ago and it just made my experience on the AE a hundred times nicer. Maintenance on the AE has been a breeze for me so far. I'm glad I purchased the AE. It's a heck of a bike and a TRUE Sport Tourer IMHO!! :rolleyes: .
I have to agree with ITG. I started using the finger paddle shifter on day one. Slow speed handling is easier in my opinion than with a clutch lever. I never really noticed how much thought I put into my shifts until I started riding the AE. I use the clutch so much more than my brakes now to control my speed, especially in curves. When I come to a stop, I'm in 1st gear, take my hands off the bars and wait for the light. It's not that using a regular clutch is anything difficult, but you don't realize how much easier it can be until you have been on and AE. If I had to list one thing that is tricky to get used to with the AE...it's remembering to not rev your engine prior to pulling away from a stop. Of course this is an FJR, what's the point of revving. Perhaps I'm getting old, but I prefer silent and fast. :)

The AE vs. non-AE gets down to one of those type of discussions such as religion and politics. There are fervent believers in both camps. It is probably fair to note that all AE users have ridden most of their lives with a clutch and can fairly compare the two. Some non AE "believers" have used them and some haven't. In my two years or so following the threads, I have seen maybe one forum members really give the AE a try and not like it. I have seen many others talked out of it before ever giving it a real try. Having said all that, following are a few of my thoughts:

First of all, I ride mostly two-up. I commute on my own on nice days, but all recreational riding I do with Colleen. I have put 17,000 miles on the bike in the past 15 months. The following is just my opinions and/or experience:

1) It really is easy to get used too...somewhere between 10 minutes and the first hour.

2) Way nice in traffic - the stop and go kind. Clutches suck when you get caught behind a wreck for an hour of inching along.

3) When in the twisties, I am shifting far more often than many of my clutch friends because it is effortless and near instant. Consequently I am nearly always in the correct gear. I never even consider leaving it in a gear too high or too low longer than needed. I think many others stick to a gear at times rather than shift and then just have to shift back again.

4) I can't say enough about how little braking I need to use. Kick it down a gear, then again, then again with just a touch of the finger and the engine brings the bike to a surprisingly quick and smooth stop. Shifting down a gear a bit prior to the corner does great things - puts you at a correct entry speed with the bike in the power band. Again - this is near instant.

5) Low speed handling is a breeze, just need to drag the rear brake a bit at times so you can keep the RPM's up enough to keep it from free wheeling. Much easier to do than I just made it sound. I took the local MSF course with the FJR and handled the multiple u-turns in the "box" without difficulty with just a few tries to gain confidence.

6) Nothing to be scared of at all and I think you will find it a great experience.

I will say that the AE was much nicer with a PowerCommander attached. Smoothed out the throttle at the low end while improving mid range and the upper end. It took a really fine throttle hand to keep it from being jumpy from a dead stop or a slow roll before the PCIII - something even Colleen was fond of pointing out. She noticed IMMEDIATLY things were smoother on the first ride following installation.

Best of luck, I wish you well on the trip. Hope you are making it through the Northwest.

David

The AE vs. non-AE gets down to one of those type of discussions such as religion and politics. There are fervent believers in both camps. It is probably fair to note that all AE users have ridden most of their lives with a clutch and can fairly compare the two. Some non AE "believers" have used them and some haven't. In my two years or so following the threads, I have seen maybe one forum members really give the AE a try and not like it. I have seen many others talked out of it before ever giving it a real try. Having said all that, following are a few of my thoughts:
First of all, I ride mostly two-up. I commute on my own on nice days, but all recreational riding I do with Colleen. I have put 17,000 miles on the bike in the past 15 months. The following is just my opinions and/or experience:

1) It really is easy to get used too...somewhere between 10 minutes and the first hour.

2) Way nice in traffic - the stop and go kind. Clutches suck when you get caught behind a wreck for an hour of inching along.

3) When in the twisties, I am shifting far more often than many of my clutch friends because it is effortless and near instant. Consequently I am nearly always in the correct gear. I never even consider leaving it in a gear too high or too low longer than needed. I think many others stick to a gear at times rather than shift and then just have to shift back again.

4) I can't say enough about how little braking I need to use. Kick it down a gear, then again, then again with just a touch of the finger and the engine brings the bike to a surprisingly quick and smooth stop. Shifting down a gear a bit prior to the corner does great things - puts you at a correct entry speed with the bike in the power band. Again - this is near instant.

5) Low speed handling is a breeze, just need to drag the rear brake a bit at times so you can keep the RPM's up enough to keep it from free wheeling. Much easier to do than I just made it sound. I took the local MSF course with the FJR and handled the multiple u-turns in the "box" without difficulty with just a few tries to gain confidence.

6) Nothing to be scared of at all and I think you will find it a great experience.

I will say that the AE was much nicer with a PowerCommander attached. Smoothed out the throttle at the low end while improving mid range and the upper end. It took a really fine throttle hand to keep it from being jumpy from a dead stop or a slow roll before the PCIII - something even Colleen was fond of pointing out. She noticed IMMEDIATLY things were smoother on the first ride following installation.

Best of luck, I wish you well on the trip. Hope you are making it through the Northwest.

David
Nice write up. I should install a PC.

Hey guys, thanks for all the great info on this matter. I'm now looking to buy an AE for sure. I think you're probably quite right when you say the knockers are mainly those that haven't tried it or have maybe had one ride and formed an opinion without taking the time to get accustomed to it. If anybody hears of a late model low milage AE for sale keep me in mind. For a brief moment of insanity I did consider a Kawasaki Concours, please forgive my sin I won't do it again. Looking forward to meeting some of you on our trip.

Thanks, Allan.
This is my listing for a 2007 FJR1300AE. go to ebay.com and search for 190389641060.

Sorry for "advertising" on the forum, but it is what he's looking for, and I'm a member too!

Thanks, Allan.
This is my listing for a 2007 FJR1300AE. go to ebay.com and search for 190389641060.

Sorry for "advertising" on the forum, but it is what he's looking for, and I'm a member too!
Thanks California, a very nice ride indeed. I can however get a 2008 model with about 1600 miles on it for only $9000 at the moment. Thanks anyway.

Thanks all you guys. I just got myself an 06 AS (that in UK) - reading your thread gave me loadsa confidence for riding it. You`re right, its smooth changes, effortless riding, and always seems to be in the right gear.

I got lazy on my XJR - big beefy motor didn`t need to change, just roll throttle on/off - but this bike makes the ride a lot more enjoyable, cos its smoother and easier.

Thanks