Communication devices

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've got Starcom Advance from Jeff at Bike Effects and everything works for my purposes--rider to pillion, phone, GPS, MP3, Radar. From my research, I don't think Bluetooth has technologically steped up for motorcycle use. I love my music and I'm getting great results with the wired system. Why staple something to the outside of the helmet that creates wind noise, needs to be charged routinely and probably wont be in stereo?

How about a bluetooth helmet system that doesn't show and charges with a solar panel film?
+1 on that. I have the Starcom Digital and am very happy with it. I haven't personally had to call Jeff, but items have always shipped promptly, arrived in good condition, and included advice on installation that has contributed to my satisfaction. You can get a lot of feedback on either wired solution by searching the forum. I spend several hours reading before deciding on the Starcom.

Although I haven't personally tried either, I know people who have been quite disappointed with the bluetooth solutions or Chatterbox. However, I've also met those who were ok with the Chatterbo so long as they had never tired a wired solution. Nobody seems to enjoy the bluetooth headsets though.

For me, I would use a phone for A2DP streaming music and calls, bluetooth to pillion and bluetooth (or wire if forced to) to GMRS. I would add bluetooth to GPS and radar detector if I had them. (Not certain if it would pair with than many things)
The problem with using a phone for streaming music and handling calls is that the phone is too small (buttons are small with gloves), you'd have to hard mount it somewhere, it isn't waterproof and you can't read the screen while underway. All of that is resolved when paired to a GPS. The GPS will stream the audio and handle calls as well as send audio navigation prompts.
It seems that you greatly prefer the GPS linkage which is great. For me, since the phone can do voice commands, I don't need to touch it to receieve calls and can leave it safely in my pocket the whole time. I just set up a playlist in advance just like I would with an ipod wired to earphones.

I just want to cut the cord to the helmet for phone, music, intercom and possibly bike-to-bike. It certainly will not be as good (or as expensive) as a fully wired autocomm, GPS, CB, XMradio, Dishnetwork, NASA communication system, but what the heck ;)

It seems that you greatly prefer the GPS linkage which is great. For me, since the phone can do voice commands, I don't need to touch it to receieve calls and can leave it safely in my pocket the whole time. I just set up a playlist in advance just like I would with an ipod wired to earphones.
Yes, phones can be voice dialed, and the auto answer feature enabled. But for me, an important feature is seeing who is calling and being able to screen calls to decide to answer or not. My cell phone number is also given out to business associates and coworkers. Sometimes (and with some people) I just don't want to be bothered... ;)

I just want to cut the cord to the helmet for phone, music, intercom and possibly bike-to-bike. It certainly will not be as good (or as expensive) as a fully wired autocomm, GPS, CB, XMradio, Dishnetwork, NASA communication system, but what the heck ;)
If you look back to my posts from a little over a year ago, I was on the same quest that you are now on. I really really wanted to "cut that cord". I eventually gave up and bought a corded solution (Starcom1) The unfortunate thing is that things haven't changed in that time. At that time I said, as I still say, it's hard to believe that someone hasn't figured the wireless to the helmet thing out better.

That's all they really need to do, is make an intercom box with wireless to the helmet(s), not all this fancy schmancy blue-toothery, pairing with this or that. All the peripherals could be hard wired to the intercom. Just make the link to the headset wireless. Seems like it should be fairly simple.

Good luck with your quest.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gunny on Fred's comments I run Starcom with Garmin 2820 that has mp3,XM ect that is bluetooth linked to my phone I make and recieve calls (on screen so I can see who's calling) by phone book on 2820 or voice command. Also my riding buds use ScalaQ2 on the same network we call back and forth when we need to talk For free! Wife and I would like no cables but until

somthing really great comes out, This works for us. Call Jeff @ Bike Effects

Gunny on Fred's comments I run Starcom with Garmin 2820 that has mp3,XM ect that is bluetooth linked to my phone I make and recieve calls (on screen so I can see who's calling) by phone book on 2820 or voice command. Also my riding buds use ScalaQ2 on the same network we call back and forth when we need to talk For free! Wife and I would like no cables but untilsomthing really great comes out, This works for us. Call Jeff @ Bike Effects
That's a worthwhile point. If you and your buds are on the same wireless network (Verizon comes to mind...) you may be able to make cell calls for free. The only downside is this will only work in areas with cell coverage. I tend to wander into the black holes often.

I am looking to purchase some sort of rider to passenger communication device and I have no idea where to start. I would prefer to have something cordless (Bluetooth maybe?!?) but I really know nothing about these devices. I was hoping to get some advice from the many experienced and more technically saavy riders out there!
Thanks in advance-
A phone call to me would be worth your while. I can discuss your individual needs.

707-224-9262

Can't go wrong with a call to the Captain!

Nothing better than great customer service and someone that knows their product!

Ive just upgraded my gps system, mio c710 with wired head phones. Now I have Zumo 660 and Scala G4 Powerset. Setup was easy, bluetooth connection with htc desire and zumo linked was a doddle. I will be trying out the new system next month on a French trip.

Andy

Ive just upgraded my gps system, mio c710 with wired head phones. Now I have Zumo 660 and Scala G4 Powerset. Setup was easy, bluetooth connection with htc desire and zumo linked was a doddle. I will be trying out the new system next month on a French trip.

Andy

I have the G4 and can't get it to work properly just for me to passenger.We use flip helmets since we both wear glasses. Works fine inside the house , doesn't work on the bike. Can't find any info on setting for background noise. You have to understand that I am an old person and don't do well with anything electrical or with computers. All the wires on my bike are virgins, no GPS, no radar, no cell phone, no music.

Any suggestions?

Jack

netphone said:
I am looking to purchase some sort of rider to passenger communication device and I have no idea where to start. I would prefer to have something cordless (Bluetooth maybe?!?) but I really know nothing about these devices. I was hoping to get some advice from the many experienced and more technically saavy riders out there!

Thanks in advance-
The good bluetooth intercom on ces-shopping.

I don't know about anyone else here, but I would be very hesitant to do business with someone that subscribes to a motorcycle forum and the only posts they make are spamming their wares with links to a cheesy web site.

And dredging up 3 year old posts to do it? Sheesh. (post reported)

I have the G4 and can't get it to work properly just for me to passenger.We use flip helmets since we both wear glasses. Works fine inside the house , doesn't work on the bike. Can't find any info on setting for background noise. You have to understand that I am an old person and don't do well with anything electrical or with computers. All the wires on my bike are virgins, no GPS, no radar, no cell phone, no music.

Any suggestions?

Jack

Jack, bring your owners manuals along to the camp this weekend. We'll get it figured out (before we get too intoxicated). We'll get you and Jane chatting. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I have had the midland bt2d bluetooth set for about a year now. works fine for me and the wife. set of 2 bluetooth headsets run about $190 on amazon. can pair to a cell phone, radar, gps (only one at a time though I think) and can hookup wired to a mp3 device. Works fine for us. comes with boom mike or wired mike. I mounted the wired mike to our modular helmets so they are out of sight and never in the way putting on/off the helmet. I think a great value. always on or talk activated. the always on feature for us lasts for a day of riding, probably 6 hours of constant on time. also includes 12v charger and wall charger (both with duel plugs) so you can always charge the batteries on the go from the fjr 12v outlet.