Communication Systems

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NJ609Eagle

Reaction score
I have now owned and ridding my FJR for about 3,000 miles. This bike has become my second love, only behind my dearest girlfriend who taught me to ride on her own V-Star classic. She will be my future passenger so need to think ahead. Prior to this bike my first was a 2005 Suzuki Boulevard C50. This was a great first bike and will always suggest this to anyone who is just starting out.

Over the course of the 14,000 miles I rode on that bike, I added the obvious little farkles of the helmet speakers and then the Zumo 550 (this puppy rocks!!!) w/XM antenna on a CycleGadgets.com antenna bracket. This is set-up is now mounted on my clutch side. I like the dashboard as it is and do not wish to add anymore. Currently, the Zumo is powered directly to the battery. It’s using a battery tender connector for quick disconnect.

Well, my helmet speakers are starting to go. So I’m looking to replace them. I don’t have a microphone, but I can connect my Zumo to my Phone with Bluetooth, and don’t want Bluetooth to the helmet. I don’t have any other radio or CB for the bike. I’d like to stay with CB since others that we ride with also have that and not FRS and alike. I’m not sure on what CB? It would have to be powered from the bike, I would want a PTT. Ideally, this would have to fit and work from under the rider’s or passenger’s seat, but could settle on long rides with this in my jacket pocket.

Fast Way

Buy from StarComm1 SH-550-04, connect directly to Zumo, gives me speakers and microphone with Zumo. This for goes the additional radio, and would require me to revisit this topic if/when my girlfriend ever becomes a passenger on this or any other bike I may own going forward.

Better Way (While I’m doing my search I’m feeling that this is the perfect time to get it all done and done right)

I want to install a fuse box under the passenger seat, wiring to the taillight assembly. I’ll probably run all switched power, nothing always on. The Zumo would then be run back to there. I’d also like to place under the rider’s seat or the passenger seat, a communication hub. Choosing one of these I’ll be able to add anything.

But which one: Starcom1, AutoCom or J&M ?

I have the Zumo and Starcom and think it's a great set up. The Starcom Digital is supposed to be the shit!

Autocom is supposed to be a great unit as well, but I have no experience with it.

I have the Autocom Super-Pro Avi which does everything I could ask for and more. I either connect a Cobra handheld CB for messing with the truckers, or a GMRS radio for messing with my riding buddies. GPS, Sirius, Ipod and cellphone are also hooked up and all work flawlessly.

I considered the Starcom Digital system which has almsot the same features, and is reportedly as good, and only opted for the Autocom due to previous good fortunes with their older units.

Don't think you would be disappointed with either system.

I had the auto com and sold it and bought a J&M the zumo plugs into it I now can talt to pillon plus friends with cbs the J&M install took me a little over a hour I bought it from sierra electronics they have best prices plus great tech support.

Both my wife and I have the J&M JMCB2003 on our bikes, with FireStik antennas. It works very well. The primary benefit over the Starcomm setup is that everything is integrated, so my wife doesn't have to dink around with wires and cables and a portable CB unit etc. She just mounts her Sirius, plugs in her helmet, and she's off. On her SV650, she is happy with the helmet speakers but has to crank the volume to overcome windnoise and earplugs. At speed, she can hear her radio and me (if I speak loudly and clearly). Again .. we stressed ease of use over sound quality for her.

I use a Zumo with bluetooth to the phone and will shortly get the connectors to make calls. Also, I've patched into the J&M harness to use earphones instead of the helmet speakers. I get near-perfect audio this way, and can hear my wife clearly at any speed, even when she mumbles ;-)

The main downfalls of the J&M setup is the price. The unit itself isn't bad, but each connector, cable, etc. is very expensive. CycleGadgets sells some alternatives. For example, J&M wants $270 to wire up the mic from the Zumo - CycleGadets does it for $115. Also, there are reports that the J&M connector pins aren't glued in good enough, causing them to pull out. A friend thus carries a spare cable with him on long trips. And there is a nice handlebar mount for the FJR's with easy access to all three (cb, aux, intercom) volumes.

For the record, we have the solo versions - haven't ever used the passenger intercom. Next time I'm going with the dual version, as it includes a remote PTT and the ability to wire up for a passenger.

My riding buddy had an autocomm which he didn't like at all - was hard to heard his pillion, etc. He swapped that for a Starcomm unit (non-digital). It worked well until the pots got gummed up, and he hasn't fixed them yet. The nice thing about the starcomm is that you can run it on cb, gmrs, frs, etc. and it is very flexible and not too expensive to get parts, cables, etc. In our riding group, we use CB's, so the Starcomm riders have to add a Cobra non-waterproof CB to thier handlebars, or stash it in a tank bag when it rains. This makes it hard to change channels (as would frs/gmrs units). Plus there are multiple wires, connectors, etc to deal with. It's a nice unit, but the J&M is by far easier to use and set up.

FWIW, the Starcomm users come in clearest, J&M second, Autocomm third.

If you're not doing bike-to-bike comm, there might simpler options available ... but I hope you'll find some usefull info here.

I have now owned and ridding my FJR for about 3,000 miles. This bike has become my second love, only behind my dearest girlfriend who taught me to ride on her own V-Star classic. She will be my future passenger so need to think ahead. Prior to this bike my first was a 2005 Suzuki Boulevard C50. This was a great first bike and will always suggest this to anyone who is just starting out.
Over the course of the 14,000 miles I rode on that bike, I added the obvious little farkles of the helmet speakers and then the Zumo 550 (this puppy rocks!!!) w/XM antenna on a CycleGadgets.com antenna bracket. This is set-up is now mounted on my clutch side. I like the dashboard as it is and do not wish to add anymore. Currently, the Zumo is powered directly to the battery. It’s using a battery tender connector for quick disconnect.

Well, my helmet speakers are starting to go. So I’m looking to replace them. I don’t have a microphone, but I can connect my Zumo to my Phone with Bluetooth, and don’t want Bluetooth to the helmet. I don’t have any other radio or CB for the bike. I’d like to stay with CB since others that we ride with also have that and not FRS and alike. I’m not sure on what CB? It would have to be powered from the bike, I would want a PTT. Ideally, this would have to fit and work from under the rider’s or passenger’s seat, but could settle on long rides with this in my jacket pocket.

Fast Way

Buy from StarComm1 SH-550-04, connect directly to Zumo, gives me speakers and microphone with Zumo. This for goes the additional radio, and would require me to revisit this topic if/when my girlfriend ever becomes a passenger on this or any other bike I may own going forward.

Better Way (While I’m doing my search I’m feeling that this is the perfect time to get it all done and done right)

I want to install a fuse box under the passenger seat, wiring to the taillight assembly. I’ll probably run all switched power, nothing always on. The Zumo would then be run back to there. I’d also like to place under the rider’s seat or the passenger seat, a communication hub. Choosing one of these I’ll be able to add anything.

But which one: Starcom1, AutoCom or J&M ?
If you would like to discuss the Starcom systems, give me a call at 707-224-9262. I would be happy to help you.

I have the AutoComm and it works very well.

I know a lot of folks like the StarComm, but a couple of the guys I know who have one can never seem to get their cell phone to work with it.

I know a lot of folks like the StarComm, but a couple of the guys I know who have one can never seem to get their cell phone to work with it.
Word. I have two Starcoms; one on the FJR and one on the Strom. The phone works on the FJR, but not on the Strom. Same phone, same Zumo, same settings, just different Starcom1-A units.

Go figger. :dntknw:

My riding buddy had an autocomm which he didn't like at all - was hard to heard his pillion, etc. He swapped that for a Starcomm unit (non-digital).
He probably didn't take the time to properly tune the vox settings. I have an Autocom and highly recommend it. Rider to passenger and vice versa comms are crystal clear at triple digits. Regardless of speed, you have to take the time and set the vox correctly and have the mics positioned properly. Once that's sorted, no worries mate.

My Autocom is connected with an mp3 and my Zumo. I still can't bring myself to have my phone connected. Doubt I ever will. Instead of helmet speakers, however, I went with Challenger custom earplugs with speakers. Muy bien!

I've had the Autocom for 3 years now. Have cell phone, intercom, gps, and radar dectector all hooked up to it. Works perfect. Wouldn't think of using anything different. Folks at Autocom are very helpful and will get you what you need.

Just pulled the Autocom Pro off my 07 and put in the J&M. We have the integrated Zumo 550 with XM radio. Wife had a real problem with the Vox system. Could never figure out how to use it and would wind up getting frustrated with having to repeat herself (Like that was a reach - I didn't say that out loud did I).

Anyway we are really impressed with the J&M. Sound quality is fantastic and with the volume controls at my thumb I can turn it up and down at will.

Autocom was fine with the exception of the Vox and the CB setup. Was way too cumbersome with having the handheld CB in the tank bag. With the J&M there is no issue and there was also no tuning of the CB. Just worked. :yahoo:

J&M has my vote. Whole rig set me back around the $900 mark with the Dual Unit, FJR mount, Zumo interface, Antenna and headsets.

Don't forget the Baehr system from Germany. I think it's better than all the rest; but that's only my opinion of course. The prices have just gone up because of the slipping $ so it's gotten really expensive; but I still think its worth it. It's very compact (fits in the tool compartment of my Volusia/C50), has inputs for virtually everything(Gps, CB, IPOD, cell phone) and hardwires into the brake light very easily. Oh, and it moves from one bike to the next if you want pretty quickly. It does come with most of the items needed to get up and running right away. Helmet speakers, mics, cords, etc are all inclusive. The only thing I did have to add was an IPOD cord. I think it's at least worth checking them out. I especially like all the adjustments that are available, including squelch (so the wind doesn't trigger the mic), volume separately for passenger and rider and fade(so the rider and passenger can hear the stuff besides intercom at different levels. Also has a priority override so one can adjust which accessory will overide all other, which one will be next etc. No, I don't have any conncection with them, just seems to be a great system.

My riding buddy had an autocomm which he didn't like at all - was hard to heard his pillion, etc. He swapped that for a Starcomm unit (non-digital).
He probably didn't take the time to properly tune the vox settings. I have an Autocom and highly recommend it. Rider to passenger and vice versa comms are crystal clear at triple digits. Regardless of speed, you have to take the time and set the vox correctly and have the mics positioned properly. Once that's sorted, no worries mate.

My Autocom is connected with an mp3 and my Zumo. I still can't bring myself to have my phone connected. Doubt I ever will. Instead of helmet speakers, however, I went with Challenger custom earplugs with speakers. Muy bien!

I'm having that problem with my starcomm digital and it's driving my nuts. The mics pick up way to much wind noise. My riding buddy has a autocom and I can hear him crystal clear at times when he can't understand anything I'm saying due to the wind noise from my mic and when I have a pillion, that mics wind noise is unbearable. There is no way to completely turn off the pillion mic so it's always transmitting. On a recent ride, It was so annoying, I had to just unplug the whole damn thing because I couldn't stand to hear the wind noise anymore. But then neither one of us can hear music because my headset has to be plugged in to power up the unit. Initally I thought it was the mics and replaced them with a different style. I also spent alot of time with mic placement, still no dice. I'm thinking I will need to buy a barn door for a windshield.

When using the starcomm as just a way to integrate your GPS, music and phone it works very well and as described. But as a unit to add rider to passenger or rider to rider comm, I'm very disappointed.

I just bought the new Collett MicroFone 2 system on Monday. Still awaiting delivery, I'll report bike what I think of them soon.

-Steve

I'm having that problem with my starcomm digital and it's driving my nuts. The mics pick up way to much wind noise. My riding buddy has a autocom and I can hear him crystal clear at times when he can't understand anything I'm saying due to the wind noise from my mic and when I have a pillion, that mics wind noise is unbearable. There is no way to completely turn off the pillion mic so it's always transmitting. On a recent ride, It was so annoying, I had to just unplug the whole damn thing because I couldn't stand to hear the wind noise anymore. But then neither one of us can hear music because my headset has to be plugged in to power up the unit. Initally I thought it was the mics and replaced them with a different style. I also spent alot of time with mic placement, still no dice. I'm thinking I will need to buy a barn door for a windshield.

When using the starcomm as just a way to integrate your GPS, music and phone it works very well and as described. But as a unit to add rider to passenger or rider to rider comm, I'm very disappointed.

I was having the same problems with mine until I got the mic sensitivity adjusted properly, it was enough to give you a headache. You need to reduce the mic sensitivity gradually until you can no longer hear the auxiliary sounds like wind. I contacted Starcom (after I got no respones from PCA who I bought the unit from) and they said to adjust the mic sensitivity to 80%. The funny thing with my system is that I had to turn down the sensitivity on my wifes mic to around 20% so that I don't hear any unwanted noise and I had to turn my mic the opposite direction to around 80% so that my wife does not hear any of the unwanted noise's. Now the only time I hear any wind noise is when there is a gust strong enough to trigger the VOX feature.

I was having the same problems with mine until I got the mic sensitivity adjusted properly, it was enough to give you a headache. You need to reduce the mic sensitivity gradually until you can no longer hear the auxiliary sounds like wind. I contacted Starcom (after I got no respones from PCA who I bought the unit from) and they said to adjust the mic sensitivity to 80%. The funny thing with my system is that I had to turn down the sensitivity on my wifes mic to around 20% so that I don't hear any unwanted noise and I had to turn my mic the opposite direction to around 80% so that my wife does not hear any of the unwanted noise's. Now the only time I hear any wind noise is when there is a gust strong enough to trigger the VOX feature.
Can't do that with the digital. The adjustments are limited to "hi", "lo", and "off" for the mic vox, music vox, and mute functions.

I have the StarComm 1 Adv hooked up to my Zumo and I also have my RD hooked up to the Starcomm. I haven't tested while riding yet, but all seems to work well in the garage. It was pretty easy to hook up once I had the Blueseas fuse box mounted. I'm looking forward to a road test.

Herkypilot

Can't do that with the digital. The adjustments are limited to "hi", "lo", and "off" for the mic vox, music vox, and mute functions.

yeah, thats the problem. I've tried hi and lo and it doesn't work. Off just means the mic is on constantly, so there is no way to even just turn the damn thing off.

Maybe getting the digital version wasn't the best idea.

FWIW, mine works perfectly in the garage also. ;)

Last edited by a moderator: