Communication Systems

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have the StarCom Advance, and have taken Jeff@BikeEffects up on his offer to assist several times. It now works like a charm. Call him up, if you're having StarCom issues.

The Rider-Passenger intercom is full duplex, so Vox shouldn't come into play there. The passenger Mic should be set around 20%, as NSRider said. This eliminates most windnoise to the Rider's speakers.

The only function Vox is intended to support is 2-way radio. With so much turbulence from the FJR windshield, Vox needs to be set to the lowest setting (or "Off" - digital model), to prevent unintended 2-way transmisions from wind noise. Add the handlebar mounted PTT button, and all is well.

I have the StarCom Advance, and have taken Jeff@BikeEffects up on his offer to assist several times. It now works like a charm. Call him up, if you're having StarCom issues.
The Rider-Passenger intercom is full duplex, so Vox shouldn't come into play there. The passenger Mic should be set around 20%, as NSRider said. This eliminates most windnoise to the Rider's speakers.

The only function Vox is intended to support is 2-way radio. With so much turbulence from the FJR windshield, Vox needs to be set to the lowest setting (or "Off" - digital model), to prevent unintended 2-way transmisions from wind noise. Add the handlebar mounted PTT button, and all is well.

Vox does come into play. There is no way to set the mic on the digital at 20% and when you set the mics for "Off" it actually does just the opposite of what your saying. Your supposed to set it for "Hi" when there is alot of wind noise. "off" actually has the mics on all the time. I have the PTT button. It's only used for rider to rider comm.

I tried the Chatterbox system with VOX & with a PTT pushbutton & found the PTT better for me than the VOX. Because friends were using CB's on their GW1800's I changed to a J & M CB. PTT is a trigger. Much prefer the PTT button or trigger on any system I've tried. For me there just seems to be too much variation in the amount of wind noise at different speeds for a VOX on a M/C at least with my flip Nolan helmets. Best of luck.

Last edited by a moderator: