Communication Systems

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schupperts

Reaction score
Newbie to 2 up riding and looking for a helmet comm. system.

Questions:

1)Does any system fit any helmet?

2)Does bike to bike comm. require same brand systems?

3)Why not bluetooth?

4)Do I power the system from the bike or from batteries?

Obviously not looking for an answer for every question from everyone,

but any input would help :D

For 2-up intercom, the question depends on whether you have audio inputs you want to hear, like music, GPS or radar detector. If you want that stuff in addition to your sweet wife's dulcet tones, then the Chatterbox and similar helmet mounted systems may not be the way to go - you'll want something like the Starcom.

I use Starcom Advance on my wife's and son's bikes, and a Starcom Digital on my FJR. When my wife and I go 2-up the intercom function on the Starcom works great, VOX with separate audio inputs, plus the GPS. This is what works for us after years of working with various bits. Obviously this kind of system is powered off the bike.

For bike-to-bike I use a set of high-end radios on the GMRS freqs. My best advice here is to stay away from the cheap FRS radios. They don't have to be from the same manufacturer, just be on the same frequency.

Hope this helps.

Ian

I just finished yet another round of real-life testing with Bluetooth comm systems. I bought (with my own hard-earned money) a Sena SMH-10 BT system and used it with a Zumo 660 GPS in both solo and 2-up rides. After a few weeks here's some quick thoughts for you to consider...

* The new BT systems (like the Sena) work pretty much as advertised. Be sure to download their user manual before you purchase, then sit down for a long read. If you don't clearly understand something, send email to their support. How well they explain and answer your question(s) will determine how much you like the unit after you purchase it. I can say that the Sena unit works almost EXACTLY as specified in their manual.

* IMHO, Bluetooth is still best-suited for solo riders. The "switching" that's required to do rider-passenger intercom or bike2bike is at best, awkward. Once you've used a wired system like the Starcom1, both rider and passenger will miss the open, full-duplex communications of wired systems.

* Weigh how much use you'll get from the Bike2Bike, against the money you're spending on the actual units. Midland makes some decent water-resistant units that sell for $80/pair. If you know you'll be using GMRS/FRS for Bike2Bike all day long, every single day, then by all means spend the big bucks for 12v-powered high-end radio.

* Cables are a total PITA, so is having your helmet smacked because you can't hear her yelling, "Stop that! I have to pee!!!". Life's full of compromises.

Last edited by a moderator: