Communicator Headphones that Dual as Earplugs

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VFR Rider

Reaction score
Ok, so I would really like the ability to talk w/ my wife during our rides either two-up or bike to bike. But what I can't bear the thought of is riding without my earplugs as the wind noise over long rides tends to get bothersome.

Do any of the communicator lines have headphones that also are earplugs or significantly reduce the wind noise?

Ok, so I would really like the ability to talk w/ my wife during our rides either two-up or bike to bike. But what I can't bear the thought of is riding without my earplugs as the wind noise over long rides tends to get bothersome.
Do any of the communicator lines have headphones that also are earplugs or significantly reduce the wind noise?
most of the vendors that make custom ear plugs will do so with custom earphones as well

There is also a type of earbud headphone made by koss with foam ear-plugs, but with little tubes running through the center from the speaker. I use a pair of these at work in a noisy enviornment, and they work very well. Any comm system that can accept standard headphones will work with these. They are a lot cheaper option than the custom molded earplugs, but probably don't work as well either.

Radioshack also has a similar knockoff of these, with an in-line mute button. I found this pair useful on the bike when at a stop and someone was trying to talk to me (no comm system).

There is also a type of earbud headphone made by koss with foam ear-plugs, but with little tubes running through the center from the speaker. I use a pair of these at work in a noisy enviornment, and they work very well. Any comm system that can accept standard headphones will work with these. They are a lot cheaper option than the custom molded earplugs, but probably don't work as well either.
Radioshack also has a similar knockoff of these, with an in-line mute button. I found this pair useful on the bike when at a stop and someone was trying to talk to me (no comm system).
I have already tried the Koss buds with an MP3 player, and unfortunately they did not work. After a couple of hours of music plus wind I had a headache and ended up back in earplugs.

Don't forget to check out Shure. They have a range of earbuds as a number of price points. I currently have the E3c .Link To Shure Product Page They are fanstastic sounding when not riding and do very well when riding. I am able to listen to my Ipod at low to meduim volume with little or no wind noise. Also if the built in foam and silicone inserts are not comfortable you can have custom molds made for the ultimate in comfort. FYI the foam plugs work for me much better than the silcone ones.

I have already tried the Koss buds with an MP3 player, and unfortunately they did not work. After a couple of hours of music plus wind I had a headache and ended up back in earplugs.

Also check out Etymotic Research.

www.etymotic.com

They manufacture a very high quality earbud headphone with either foam or baffled ear plugs and both of those styles (interchangeable - try 'em both) are available in many sizes.

Last edited by a moderator:
I used the Koss earphones for a while. They did a pretty good job but I had a hard time keeping them in my ears on longer rides. They came loose and fell out. Now I use a set of speakers that I took out of a cheap pair of small Koss headphones velcroed inside my helmet, along with rubber EAR brand earplugs. Probably not the best sound quality for music, but works well enough for other things.

Turn the music up no more wind noise :yahoo:

Have you tired ear bud type of speakers??? I use flat speakers myself.

JD