Completed first SS 1000

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For me, about 16 months. But it took me about 14 months to send in the paperwork.
biggrin.png

Really, not too terribly long. Maybe a month I think.

Did my 1st SS1000 last April 28th.

Submitted the paper work a few days later.

Received my happy mail in less than 3 weeks.

Yeah you're going to be pretty excited when that package comes John, I know I was.

Congrats on completing for your first cert. ride. And I should emphasize First, as I am sure there will be more after you complete your Bun Burner. I am not sure what it is about planning and executing this rides, but whatever it is, it is very gratifying.

Yeah you're going to be pretty excited when that package comes John, I know I was.

Congrats on completing for your first cert. ride. And I should emphasize First, as I am sure there will be more after you complete your Bun Burner. I am not sure what it is about planning and executing this rides, but whatever it is, it is very gratifying.
I check everyday to see if my check has cleared!

I'm planning a BB 1500 over Columbus Day weekend. Adding more farkles between now and then (Gerauld's highway pegs, radar detector, darkside). I'm putting a Russell Day Long on my Christmas list.

It's pretty cool to open a map, find a town a few states away, and say "I can be there by tonight."

The only downside (if it's a downside): nobody wants to ride with me. My usual riding buddies call it quits at 300 miles.

Yep, that's what I always point out, how easily an SS1K shrinks the map of available rides. I'm not sure I'd have done my out and back two day trip to New Mexico before I did my SS1K, but now, 700-800 miles per day? Easy! Ok, not easy, but when I get a new seat, it'll be easy.
biggrin.png

Congratulations! How funny, I've been working on mapping out nearly this exact same route for my first SS1000, only leaving from and returning to Phoenix. I would love to hear more about your planning and preparations, and especially the timing of your trip. It's hot as heck here now, but how in how many weeks does it get colder up in the higher elevations? I kind of know the Arizona parts, but nothing about New Mexico. I'm hoping to do my trip sometime in late September or early October, do you think that would be a good time?

Thanks also for posting the Spot track, that helps a lot.

Don

Congratulations! How funny, I've been working on mapping out nearly this exact same route for my first SS1000, only leaving from and returning to Phoenix. I would love to hear more about your planning and preparations, and especially the timing of your trip. It's hot as heck here now, but how in how many weeks does it get colder up in the higher elevations? I kind of know the Arizona parts, but nothing about New Mexico. I'm hoping to do my trip sometime in late September or early October, do you think that would be a good time?
Thanks also for posting the Spot track, that helps a lot.

Don
Don,

I had two main factors driving my planning: minimize time spend riding in the dark at the end of the ride and get through the Phoenix heat/traffic as easily as possible. To do both, I left Sierra Vista just before 3 am. I knew that would put me in Phoenix before sunrise and get me home just a few hours after dark.

For your trip, I would be concerned about temps in Flagstaff. I don't think I'd want to be riding through there before sunrise in October unless you have heated gear. If you plan your route to minimize the Flagstaff chill and the Phoenix heat, everything in between will be cake. You might want to ride this route counter-clockwise. Then you could leave Phoenix about 3 am and you should hit Flagstaff just before sunset.

Another thing to keep in mind, you'll probably be riding West into the setting sun no matter which direction you take if you leave in the morning.

Other things I would highly recommend: Gerauld's Refreshment System, and packing jerky and power bars in your tank bag. Both save a lot of time at stops. The refreshment system keeps you hydrated in the heat. The snacks on the bike allow you to chew down some protein while you are gassing up.

I'll be happy to answer any other questions you have. I've planning a BB 1500 out to Kerrville, TX in October.

Congratulations! I'm going to do attempt #2 the weekend of Oct.18th, so hopefully I'll be a few numbers higher than yours!

Don