Concours 14 vs. Yamaha FJR1300A

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robedge

Reaction score
[SIZE=12pt]Accolades abound regarding the Concours 14 with awards aplenty- "Best Sports Tourer of the Year", "Motorcycle of the Year".[/SIZE]

I have not ridden one and I do love my FJR. But the little nagging voice in my head is saying "Maybe it's time to move on?" and "It's not you it's me!".

[SIZE=12pt][/SIZE]

What are everyone's POV on the all new "Connie"?

Anyone on the list make the switch?

Rob

[SIZE=12pt]Accolades abound regarding the Concours 14 with awards aplenty- "Best Sports Tourer of the Year", "Motorcycle of the Year".[/SIZE]
I have not ridden one and I do love my FJR. But the little nagging voice in my head is saying "Maybe it's time to move on?" and "It's not you it's me!".

[SIZE=12pt][/SIZE]

Rob
Your kidding...right?

Been discussed a bazillion times. Asking on this forum might get some slightly biased answers. I did ride the C14 for acouple hours and didn't think much of it.

Head to head over 36 miles of mountain highway, I whipped the Connies ass, with my wife on the back. The Connie looks good on paper, but we don't ride on paper do we? :assassin:

I'm an ex Concours 10 owner. I sat on a C14 tester at a rally and turned down Kawasaki's offer to ride it. It is taller than FJR and felt wider 'tween my knees - I have only 28" inseam so it's an issue. I could only touch both sides on ballet like tip toes and I could hardly get it off the side stand. The bags looked nice in the rear view mirror, good thing since it's all I could see. I have been told some maintenance tasks are much more complicated vs FJR. I chose the FJR. However, I'm sure the C14 is very sophisticated, powerful with modern handling, brakes etc. BTW my '06 FJR with low mileage was a trade in on a C14.

I have a 2008 C14 and a 2008 FJR and have ridden each 11K miles to date. If I had to pick one as the best "tourer" it would definitely be the FJR since the only advantage the C14 has when it comes to touring is larger capacity saddlebags. The FJR gets better gas mileage, has a bigger gas tank, far better heat management, and more plush suspension.

I owned an '01 Connie for about 6 years and really liked it. I then downsized to a Wee Strom which I really, really love.

I got the new bike bug and it narrowed down to the C14 or the FJR. The Connie just looks big and heavy to me, the maintenance seems tougher (I do all my own) and it weighs quite a bit more that the FJR. I almost bought a Sprint ST due to the weight savings but the ride position was way too aggressive.

Overall I'm pretty darn happy with the FJR.

[SIZE=12pt][/SIZE]

Rob

The only reason the C-14 is winning the awards is because it is new. Magazines hand those awards out without riding the bikes long enough to experience problems with the C14's KPASS system, heat management, and maintenance. They overlook problems like the mirrors because it is shiny and there is no way a bike with a 7 year old design will beat the newbie.

I guess you could call the guy Scooter, Don and I passed in Montana and ask him how his C14 held out against that design...You'll find him catching his breath in a rest stop somewhere...Honestly, I would bet that the rider on these two bikes makes all the difference. You just have to decide what's right for you.

Last edited by a moderator:
I too am a former C-10 owner who made the switch recently.

I looked at both the C-14 and the FJR and bought the FJR, here are my reasons...

1) FJR runs on regular gas, C-14 must have premium

2) FJR has bigger tank

3) FJR felt not as wide, for all the C-14's deceptive nimbleness she is a wide pig :)

4) I saw the video on the valve adjust for the C-14, and all I can say is HOLY CRAP

5) I've heard of way too many issues with Kipass (Stranded a friend of mine twice)

6) The Muffler on the Connie is just butt ugly (Just my opinion there)

Don't get me wrong, I LIKE the C-14, but I wanted a much better bargain, and frankly, IMHO the FJR is one Sexahy Beahst!! :)

The OP simply wanted to stir us up - note the large type font.

I don't own a C14, but I have ridden a few of them, one for many miles.

Not mentioned to date:

Fit and finish - FJR wins

Height - FJR is lower

Handling - FJR is neutral

3500 RPM Roll-On - FJR wins until about 6000 rpm, then the C14 pulls away.

Smoothness - C14 wins

Raw power - C14 wins when the RPMs are up there

Smooth power delivery - C14 wins with a smoother power band

Ugly muffler - C14 wins, big time.

Been discussed a bazillion times. Asking on this forum might get some slightly biased answers. I did ride the C14 for acouple hours and didn't think much of it.

FJRay: Did a search on "concours" on the Forum and came away empty handed. Can you point me to a good thread?

thanks.

I was pretty sure the Sport-Tourer of the year (2009) was the BMW R1200RT.

I guess it depends on what rag you're reading and who's supplying the bulk of the advertising $.

-MD

I had a C 10, rode the C-14 @ National rally, and bought a FJR (used). FJR is miles ahead of the c10, and about even on the c14...except for max HP (and heat). Go to COGonline.org and Concours.org for a different pov. (buy what ya like/ride what ya got)

FJRay: Did a search on "concours" on the Forum and came away empty handed. Can you point me to a good thread?

thanks.
Google FJR vs concours and you will find lots

I looked hard at both and i don't think you can go wrong with either. Buy the one you like the best or the one that best fills your needs and don't look back.