Concours 14 vs. Yamaha FJR1300A

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[SIZE=12pt]Accolades abound regarding the Concours 14 with awards aplenty- "Best Sports Tourer of the Year", "Motorcycle of the Year".[/SIZE]
I have not ridden one and I do love my FJR. But the little nagging voice in my head is saying "Maybe it's time to move on?" and "It's not you it's me!".

[SIZE=12pt][/SIZE]

What are everyone's POV on the all new "Connie"?

Anyone on the list make the switch?

Rob
Your kidding...right?

I just road one before I bought the FJR. IT IS FAST, DAMN FAST! Will beat the FJR in pure hp. Handling sucks! More comfortable seat.

rode

No clue, don't care, big deal, etc.

I'll stick with the FeeJ. Because some writers say it's tops doesn't mean I want it. I'll use what works best for me.

Well, really.... I'm afraid of a very fast bike that handles well, it'll make me look bad... or worserer. :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Someone posted a while back the list of shit you had to do just to change spark plugs. That did it for me, even if I was shopping. I'll never have a bike that hard to do a simple task on.

Someone posted a while back the list of shit you had to do just to change spark plugs. That did it for me, even if I was shopping. I'll never have a bike that hard to do a simple task on.

And with the C-14 you get to change them every 7500 miles :)

[SIZE=12pt]Accolades abound regarding the Concours 14 with awards aplenty- "Best Sports Tourer of the Year", "Motorcycle of the Year".[/SIZE]
I have not ridden one and I do love my FJR. But the little nagging voice in my head is saying "Maybe it's time to move on?" and "It's not you it's me!".

[SIZE=12pt][/SIZE]

What are everyone's POV on the all new "Connie"?

Anyone on the list make the switch?

Rob
My P.O.V. on any sport touring bike: They're all good. They all arrive at the beginning of the road from different perspectives but NONE are BAD...just different. Some are more sporty, some have different technology, some are more touring, some are easier (and cheaper?) to maintain.

The pure judgment is not in on the maintenance issues. I don't know that any of the new Connies have reached the mileage thresholds for an accurate comparison as to long-term costs (like valve adjustments, multiple service issues, etc.) and the same holds true for the new BMW. Unless someone knows a Connie owner and is willing to share those experiences, we base our opinions on guesses and anecdotal evidence.

1.) Follow the voices. Buy the bike that makes your heart sing. For most of us that is the FJR but it's not the only bike available. You have to buy the bike that makes you happy...you're a grown-up and it's your money.

My heart still skips a beat when I walk across the parking lot at work and see my FJR waiting for the ride home. And I smile.....a lot! YMMV.

2.) There are many threads about the comparison, here's one of the links I tried:

C-14 Connie site:fjrforum.com

3.) I'm sure the Connie and those who own them can out-ride me on any road. I'm also sure any one of them could beat me in a 1/4 mile drag race. I'd also put money that there are some LD riders who own the new Connie that could put me to shame on an all day-all night ride. There's no doubt the Connie makes more horsepower and has more technical advances than our "dinosaur" FJRs. But I like mine and it's part of the reason I'm here and have made so many friends in the collective.

And with the C-14 you get to change them every 7500 miles :)
Only if you really want to. Most C14 owners wait until the valve adjustment to change the spark plugs...which really should be good for 30K miles. The C14 comes with iridium plugs and 4 ignition coils so the spark plugs do not have to do double duty like they do on the FJR.

IMO the early adopters are evangelical, and create an illusion that can't be met long term. I've been a lurker on the C14 forum since the bike came out, and the transformation from then to now bears this out.

(early-on owners were constanly posting about smoothness, perfect transmission, etc)

Now look, new owners are questioning whether they got bike that's representative of the standard set by the initial-release bike, and are getting responses remarkably similar to what we get here every day. (TBS, "the transmission shifts better after (insert number of miles here)" it's the stock tires, etc...)

I DO like the final drive and modern forks of the C14, but not enough to endure the additional heat, maintenance difficulty, KIPASS problems, and overall material quality. (got to https://forum.concours.org/index.php?board=14.0 and search for "rust")

FJR looks likes Mila Jovavich. C14 looks like Aretha Franklin. Just my humble opinion. [but you must RESPECT the Queen of soul..]

I was pretty sure the Sport-Tourer of the year (2009) was the BMW R1200RT.
I guess it depends on what rag you're reading and who's supplying the bulk of the advertising $.

-MD

No.

I think the Sport Tourer of the year was the K1300GT
Your right it was best tourer of the year :rolleyes:

https://www.motorcycle.com/manufacturer/tri...year-88656.html

Best Sport-Touring Bike of the Year per Rider magazine here:

https://www.ridermagazine.com/output.cfm?id=1676899

Both bikes appear to be good possibilities depending on your point of view and your intended use.

For my dollar and my intended use, the FJR was the better option. It looks better, felt more "nimble", and was a proven design (granted, the Connie has been around since the Reagan era - but this was a totally new model).

I never was sold on the KPASS thing, and thought that it could be problematic at best (what's wrong with a plain-olde key?).

The muffler is so huge I'm quite sure that it could house several terrorists evading the government. And, I simply cannot fathom needing more power than what the feej delivers - kinda like saying "if Beyonce was just a bit cuter she'd be hot". I know I don't need more than, say, 125hp at the rear wheel on a 650 lb machine.

But, with the C14 and the BMW GT1300 around it should keep Yamaha "on their toes".

Have fun, be safe.

biknflyfisher

Also looked hard at the C14. Gas tank is too small, not as comfortable seating position and my SO was turned off by the pillion on the Kawasaki. Finally, the FJR has this great forum!

Jack

Me Balls itch... Hey Howie!, Bluesman, michael???? Ah shit! callin' odot.. :jester:
What balls? Miz Bust removed them years ago... :rofl:
Does she keep them in a jar of pickling fluid? In the cupboard? :unsure:

[SIZE=8pt]Inquiring minds really DON'T want to know.[/SIZE]
I "heard" she keeps those little things in a shot-glass covered with Saran Wrap. :blink:
I heard the cat ate 'em