Confused about rear top case carrier!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

louatlvc

Reaction score
Hello all
I'm a new owner and member of this forum. I recently bought a 2016 FJR and ordered the Yamaha OEM 50 liter touring top case. The Yamaha web site indicated that the top case needs a mount attachment for the bike that's sold seperately but did not give a part number.

When I looked up "top case mount" one site listed part ABA-2D261-30-10 which is a black plastic plate called a "rear trunk attachment kit" that looks like it bolts to the existing blue painted rear rack that came on the bike.

When I looked up the part on a different site they listed part 1 MC-F48D0-V0-00 which is an aluminum rack they call a "Rear Carrier". It looks like the plastic blue painted one that comes on the bike except it's aluminum.

I called my local Yamaha dealership to ask which one was correct and they were as confused as I am. They had no idea which of the two I needed or if I needed both?

I did a search of this site and found some comments about an old vs. new mount but I'm not familiar with the variations across years of the FJR. Can anybody help?
Thanks much. Lou

Lou, Its the aluminum one that replaces the blue painted plastic rack. Should be about $270. Buy it. The new case is beautiful.

Lou

You need part 1 MC-F48D0-V0-00 which is the aluminum rack they call a "Rear Carrier". The OEM price is $260, you may be able to find it for less from other parts sellers.

I believe it comes with a template which guides you on how to cut the plastic where the rack goes under the seat.

I saw this setup at NERDS Stowe, VT a few weeks ago. It may be on my short list of things to add to the FJR. It appeals to me because the Rear Carrier mounts both the 39 L trunk which I have as well as the 50 L which my pillion wants.

Edit: Lou D covered the same territory while I was typing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks guys. Between the top case, carrier and pillion pad it's a small fortune! But I agree, it's very nice. Plus, my wife can't limit her stuff to one side bag!

Thanks, my plastic one is cracked down at the bottom over the fender that would be a good improvement!

Hey Lou

I got a 2016 FJR a few months ago. I'm not too far from you if your interested in meeting up for a ride!

Mitch

This looks like the original mount form the Gen 1s. ABA-2D261-30-10 mentioned in the first post.

Will this plastic rack fit on the Gen 2s & Gen 3s also?

Canadian FJR

I put the entire mount/trunk from my '04 on my '15 after painting the trunk black. I did use a few spacers (washers and nuts) to level everything, but it went together fairly easily, and has been stable at all speeds so far.

Does the 50L and the 39L have the same mounting set-up?

I guess the big question is can I mount the 39L trunk on the new 50L aluminum rack?

Canadian FJR