Connecting Electronic Gadgets - Advice Needed

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bikerbanker

Reaction score
Okay electronic farkle guys, time for your advice on how to spend my money. My question is: What’s the best way to connect all the entertainment & navigation stuff? MixIt2, AutoCom? Other?

I just purchased an ’05 FJR. I’ve put about 1,500 miles on her so far. I’ve started to acquire some electronic gadgets, but nothing is mounted on the bike yet.

My objective: I ride alone 90% of the time, 10% with a pillion. My electronic objectives are to have music, GPS and radar detection - and ocassionally intercom. Here’s what I own so far:

* Ipod: Like others have reported, it locks up from vibration unless you keep it in a jacket pocket. Battery life could be longer. Otherwise, it’s a cool toy.

* ER6i Ear Speakers. Great little ear buds that work well with the Ipod. They’re comfortable inside a helmet.

* Valentine 1: Not mounted on bike yet.

* HJC Chatterbox Model HJ50: With HJC helmet speakers and mic, it works “okay” (at best) up to about 65 or 70 mph. The various auxiliary jacks suck, big time. I’ve given up on trying to incorporate music since there is constant hassle with the connections. And above 70, wind noise is overpowering. I use the Chatterbox when the S.O. is behind me - Otherwise, I’ve given up on it and just use the ER6i ear buds for music. The ER6i’s ability to eliminate road noise and provide music is wonderful.

* GPS: Coming soon. I plan to purchase a Garmin 2610 sometime in the next 60 days.

* XM Radio - just a dream... to replace the Ipod. No lockup, no battery hassles, unlimited content/programming.

So how do I integrate this stuff together so I can listen to music, get GPS commands, and hear the V1? Any way to do it and salvage the intercom on the Chatterbox? Oh, yea…. I’m already over budget this year. Then there's mounting. Damn, I'm going broke.

Thanks

Jim

I'm in the middle of that process too, and can add a few words.

The V1 mounts nicely over either of the handlebar resevoirs... RAM makes some nice mounts (I'm using the powerplate (magnetic) to hold it above the right handlebar).

I've also got an XM which I used the Hoonholder to mount above the clutch resevoir. Works well there.

From what I remember reading, the Mixit2 won't work with Intercom between riders... It's more for mixing input audio. The new one does have a priority override channel (for the radar detector), and you can pipe in both tunes and GPS into the other inputs.

All of these are wired to a Centech power block that sits in the tray under the rider seat. I've got a set of Etymotics that should be arriving Friday. I'm not well versed in the Chatterbox, so someone else will have to help you there.

With respect to going broke... get used to it... it comes with the territory.... :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
Jim: I've installed an Autocom, GPS, Meter, Radar detector, CB radio, Cel phone and cassett palyer. Cassett and cel are in the tank bag or coat pocket. Radar velcroed to the top of the right res. Gps is on the stem stand nut with a ram ball mount. CB is at the left mirror mount with a Sang cockpit mount.

Groo is correct, if you aren't broke now you soon will be.

There are some good units available. I am a Starcom dealer and user. I have my cell phone, V1 bike to bike radio as well as a Garmin 2730 with MP3 player and XM radio. It all works well for me, as well as others on this forum.

I offer a 10% discount to forum members.

Starcom at SportbikeEffects

Hey Biker,

Check out Sierra Electronics. They carry the IMC system. It gives you rider to passenger, inputs for cell/mp3/2-way radio, 4 sets of headphones, and a waterproof ptt button. I prefer the ptt over voice activated. It allows me to sing while I ride(without anyone else hearing me :clap: ), and you don"t have to overcome ambient noise as you do with the voice activated. All this for 200 bucks. I can't honestly compare this system with others...it's the only one I've ever tried...but I am very satisfied with the performance. I wired in a bussman circuit panel under my seat, which gives me 6 ignition sources and 4 battery. Powered up with 10 guage wiring from battery.

And yes Virginia....farkles do get expensive :dribble:

The MixIt will merge 4 audio inputs into 1 output but there is no mic support (transmitting like an intercom). It would be okay for your solo rides and to mix multiple inputs into another system that would give you intercom and/or bike-to-bike comm if that system also supports an aux input (which would then be fed by the MixIt).