Consensus on rider/passenger communication device

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't think you will find a consenses.....ever. I've used the Chatterbox system & also the J & M CB with an intercom included. I suggest that you consider if you will also be riding with other bikes, and if so what type of interbike communications systems they use. FRS systems (like Chatterbox) or CB system (CB like J & M) are not compatible. Usually the interbike systems have options or provisions for an intercom with your passenger. I suggest to think in terms of a total comunications system then go from there. Many times you will see H-D & GoldWing riders using CB's. Many times sportbike riders will have the Chatterbox (FRS) system-of course there are many exceptions. Either will work and you can get an intercom with either but do consider who else you might want communications and then go from there. Best of luck. Ron

Question about the AutoCom, what type of speakers does it use, or is that something that is up to the user? Right now when I ride I wear a set of sony ear buds and it does get annoying when the cord gets tugged and moves the ear bud. Also, putting on the helmet can be annoying at times too.
Aviator was showing me his set up (StarCom1) and the speakers pasted in the helmet seem a lot more hassle free/convenient to me. He also mentioned something about Liberty wireless set up. I've searched the site and googled but haven't come up with anything. Wireless seems like a huge plus. Does anyone know about this?

[/threadhijack]

Sorry about that.
Like Starcom, Autocom comes with a semi permanent 'install in the helmet' head/mic set. When installing, take your time and figure out where you want the plug to come out. After some trial-n-error, I decided on having the plug extend out from the back of the helmet. This way the cord comes down my back and under my arms and is totally out of the way. Just don't forget to unplug when dismounting the bike. :blink:

Scala Rider Teamset

Pos = Bluetooth (completely wireless) rider to pillion to rider (full duplex); rider to bluetooth phone then pillion can join if requested; bluetooth PDA (mono-music) to rider/pillion, volume is decent, battery life impressive, charging is quick, not expensive or overly complicated. Doesn't need holes drilled in helmet or fabric modified for speaker or microphone mounting. Responsive distributor.

Negs = Electrical noise around high voltage power lines, speakers rub on ears and hurt after a while, Rider to Pillion communication should be on all the time (auto VOX turned off) to be useful and will use more battery, a little clumsy to fuss with the buttons for phone disconnect at 'call end' and other functions since its mounted on the side of the helmet, about 2 meters of useful distance. Degraded audio over about 70 MPH.

You pretty much need to determine your needs or potential needs then just jump in. I'm satisfied with my system for what I paid and I really really dislike cables. This is a good solution for us, but if we rode more frequently I would look to one of the more expensive wired solutions or wait until the bluetooth stereo and other systems are perfected, probably next year. My motto- buy cheap until you know what you want, then upgrade later. Good Luck!

I just got my StarCom1 Advance from Bike Effects and I have to tell you, it is AWESOME! Sound is clear and can be loud enough to make your ears bleed if that's your cup of tea. The integration of it with my Zumo 550 and Treo make me one very happy camper!

Thanks Jeff!

Scala Rider Teamset Pos = Bluetooth (completely wireless) rider to pillion to rider (full duplex); rider to bluetooth phone then pillion can join if requested; bluetooth PDA (mono-music) to rider/pillion, volume is decent, battery life impressive, charging is quick, not expensive or overly complicated. Doesn't need holes drilled in helmet or fabric modified for speaker or microphone mounting. Responsive distributor.

Negs = Electrical noise around high voltage power lines, speakers rub on ears and hurt after a while, Rider to Pillion communication should be on all the time (auto VOX turned off) to be useful and will use more battery, a little clumsy to fuss with the buttons for phone disconnect at 'call end' and other functions since its mounted on the side of the helmet, about 2 meters of useful distance. Degraded audio over about 70 MPH.

You pretty much need to determine your needs or potential needs then just jump in. I'm satisfied with my system for what I paid and I really really dislike cables. This is a good solution for us, but if we rode more frequently I would look to one of the more expensive wired solutions or wait until the bluetooth stereo and other systems are perfected, probably next year. My motto- buy cheap until you know what you want, then upgrade later. Good Luck!

+1. Probably need a different helmet as my X-11 is a tight fit and my ears will eventually have pressure sores from the speakers :cryingsmiley: .

Question about the AutoCom, what type of speakers does it use, or is that something that is up to the user?
Like Starcom, Autocom comes with a semi permanent 'install in the helmet' head/mic set.
I upgraded the speakers to some from a pair of Koss medium-quality headphones and now get much better frequency response.

Autocom has an inline adapter that has a 2.5mm stereo jack input so you can eliminate the helmet speakers and plug into your ear buds or custom molded ear inserts. About $40.

I bought a Scala Rider Teamset because I really really really wanted to avoid cables. It's a wireless set for rider/pillion intercom, and the rider unit includes Bluetooth for handsfree phone, and apparently GPS sound (I don't have a Bluetooth GPS unit.) It works fabulously with my phone, the VOX for intercom seems flaky, and in non-VOX mode, only the passenger can initiate an intercom conversation by tapping the button, the rider can't (rider's button is for phone function.) I tap her leg and point to my ear. Also, the passenger can be tied in to a phone call, which is cool. No music device interface, as far as I know - the headsets are monaural only.

I was ecstatically happy with this unit until I broke one of the clamp plates that mount it to the helmet. I contacted Cardo, and their reply was that I can't get just the plate, but I was welcome to purchase an entire replacement headset (for $25 plus shipping). I told them it was my last Cardo purchase, and that I would not recommend their stuff to anyone who asked. So this is NOT a recommendation, but if you want to try it, go ahead. Nice headset, clear sound. But if you can't get the ONE part that might break, WTF good is it? Now looking into drilling a couple holes in a piece of aluminum to make a new one.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have an Autocom and like it. However, I just have to rant a little about the unprofessional attitude I got from an Autocom USA installer at the BMW MOA National last weekend.

The guy was nice enough to test my push-to-talk setup for me, as I was considering buying a new Kenwood radio from them for it. Then he had the nerve to say "why did you buy this piece of sh@t J&M headset?" exact words! I told him I got it for free from a friend, but quite frankly I was insulted. He even tried to walk away with my helmet lead after he unplugged his headset. Like I was going to buy ANYTHING from this guy after he insulted me?

Unbelievable! Then he also STRONGLY suggested I need a ground loop isolator for the Garmin XM (which I do), but how could he expect me to listen to him after he suggested I was an idiot for buying a J&M heaset (which works fine BTW)?

On the flip side, their service people on the phone have been patient and helpful. Autocomm and their associated accessories are not cheap however.

Take this for what it's worth. ;)

I wanted a system to communicate with my passenger (wife) and also with my son and his GF on another bike, therefore I needed to buy 2 complete systems. That meant the pricier systems were out of reach for me. I ended up buying another system not yet mentioned:

MotoComm RiderLink ST-1

Pluses:

It is a complete system for only ~ $160 ea.

The unit is about the size of a pack of playing cards runs on 2 AA batteries. This makes carrying and installing them very easy.

It includes both driver and passenger headsets with 2 microphones each (4 total) for both full and open face helmets.

It has a full duplex intercom with the passenger.

It includes the patch cable to hook-up to your MP3 player.

It includes the patch cable to hook-up to a GPS or Radar detector.

It includes the patch cable to hook-up to a cell phone.

It includes the press-to talk button and adapter cables and coiled extension cable to use an FRS/GMRS handheld radio (walkie-talkie) for bike to bike comms.

Minuses:

The intercomm has no volume control or rider / passenger balance.

All audio (including MP3 playback) is monaural although piped through the dual headphones.

These units provide everything that I was looking for in a communication system with very few shortcomings. The full duplex intercom is a key feature IMO. You do not want simplex VOX or PTT for the intercom. It also allows both riders and pasengers to hear and participate in the full conversation during bike to bike comms, though the driver must operate the handle bar mounted PTT for the walkie talkie. The passenger just needs to squeeze the rider's arm or otherwise signal when they want to talk to the other bike.

The music gets automatically muted (3 position sensitivity VOX switch) whenever anyone speaks, if the GPS talks, when the radio unsquelches or with the PTT switch and during phone calls.

The volume of each of the auxillaries (MP3, GPS, FRS/GMRS) is adjusted via the originating unit's volume control which works fine.

I contacted MotoComm and they said that they are currently developing an adapter to allow the use of in-ear monitors (rather than the provided pancake helmet speakers) that will also provide stereo MP3 capability. That is supposed to be available sometime next month. I will be buying these for a couple of reasons, primarily because I prefer to use earplugs and the non-adjustable volume of the intercom, while adequate is not quite high enough for use with fully attenuating earplugs. Sound level on everything else can be cranked up high enough to be heard fine. I'd also prefer to have stereo music for the obvious reasons. None of the other uses require stereo sound. I'll report back later when I have tried this.

I like that they are battery powered. I installed my 2 systems including the walkie-talkies into a couple of old fanny packs I had laying around (not quite in vogue these days) and fashioned straps to mount them as mini tank bags on the two bikes. It makes a very nice compact package that can be removed from the bike in seconds and stashed in a locked saddlebag. When we go on longer rides they will pop into our full sized tank bags quite easily.

I bought mine from Glen at SportTour.com. Highly recomended

I tap her leg and point to my ear.
Yeah, doesn't that high tech cable free stuff just amaze you? Who would have thought to incorporate sign language into their intercoms. Ingenious!!!

:lol:
And yet sometimes the VOX works just fine.

I'm just confused by the fact the both rider and pillion sets have two control buttons, yet the only function I see for the rider's second button is redial on the phone. Whazzup with that? The pillion set has NO function for the second button, unless you have to re-sync the two headsets to each other. It's obvious that they took a perfectly good Bluetooth headset (which it truly is), put in some firmware and tacked another headset onto it and Voila! Intercom system. Sorta.

But nobody falls down because they yanked a comm cable!! So there!! :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Autocom has an inline adapter that has a 2.5mm stereo jack input so you can eliminate the helmet speakers and plug into your ear buds or custom molded ear inserts. About $40.
THIS is it I guess. The mic (or 2 mic if you have the noise canceling) still hooks up also right? (this isn't a listen only setup correct?)

+1 - I don't want/need to have every electric device I own connected to my headset.

And I got the new Scala Rider Teamset for $170 delivered to my door from E-Bay.

"New wireless Scala Rider headsets worked just great and let us talk to the kids on the phone together too. 245.00 from CycleOutfitters here in Indy. The batteries last more than 14hrs. We did a 812 mile day from Indy to Newberg NY took 14 hours and they were still workin great at the end of the day. If you want to have music and gps and radar detector and phone all in your system then maybe this is not for you. If you want to be able to talk to the wife and answer your phone on the fly and have no wires attached to your helmet then these little babies are your friend."