considering a used FJR.....but now???

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
E

emy197

was considering buying a used FJR but after asking the owners....is it a ticker, usual response is "i don't think so but i'm not sure". This response has come from the owners of the three used FJR's I have aquired about. so what to do? this ticking has got me considering a st1300 now. its not really what i want but i'll be damn if i want a ticker with no warranty.

J

You will know at start up if it is... As Warchild says, Steak knives on a plate type of noise. I dont have a ticker, But don't be affraid to get one since Yamaha is standing behind the issue.

Read This for all the info on The ticker.

Here is a sound bite of a ticker

Ticker 1

Ticker 2

Adam

Most guys don't know for sure because they have never heard one. Start it up-- if it is a ticker you will know. It is not that subtle. It will definitally stand out. I have only heard one in the 50 or so fjrs have been around, and it was obvious. It was an'03. Personally, I think the ticking thing is getting way over blown.

The other replies are spot on. You will know when you hear it. Knives on a plate, banging spoons together. It sounds very distinct and noisy... even when quietly just getting started. Just ain't right.

I wouldn't worry about buying ANY FJR because of ticking, whether you can hear it or not. As has been said many times before, Yamaha has fixed every one of them for free.

Having said that... mine is NOT a ticker, and has 26K on it, and the YES warranty is still in effect... just in case.... Mine's an '04 and it will be for sale very shortly. Wanna come to Indiana and check it out??? Hmmm????

thanks for the reassurance guys....feeling a little better now. i'm thinking light silver....

was considering buying a used FJR but after asking the owners....is it a ticker, usual response is "i don't think so but i'm not sure". This response has come from the owners of the three used FJR's I have aquired about. so what to do? this ticking has got me considering a st1300 now. its not really what i want but i'll be damn if i want a ticker with no warranty.
J

Most of the time the used bikes have extended Yamaha Warranty. Look for one with the YES still in force. So an 04 bought in 03 would have warranty til 08. This will ease your mind about the ticking.

I've got a light silver (03). No ticking. It comes with custom seat, additional rifle windshield, 2 powerlets, 3 techmounts, magknight, throttlemeister, battery tender connection, Givi Box (V46) and rack, 39K miles - how about $7,500. You may even be able to talk me out of all my riding gear.

Most guys don't know for sure because they have never heard one. Start it up-- if it is a ticker you will know. It is not that subtle. It will definitally stand out. I have only heard one in the 50 or so fjrs have been around, and it was obvious. It was an'03. Personally, I think the ticking thing is getting way over blown.
+1

I, like everyone else, was worried that the motor noises I heard might be "The Tick". Then I rode with someone who had an '04 which really was a "Ticker". No worries for me, since I now know the difference. You can hear a Ticker from the next lane over while both bikes are running AND I had on my helmet, ear plugs, and run D&D slip ons. No worries for him because Yamaha fixed it.

i bought mine, an '03, before looking at any of the owners forums. if i had read them first, i might not have bought it, and it would have been a shame. i don't listen to people's views about ergonomics, since it's very subjective, and usually easily changed. i only listen to the maintnance/reliability issues. i treat my bikes very good, and don't beat on them at all. my only issue is the ticking, and what it might mean. i don't think i have a ticker. it makes a slight ticking noise at 3000-4000 rpm, but only if the engine is really hot, like run for 30 min. or more. there is no power loss (it pulls like hell from 3000-up), and i'm getting 45mpg or so. i'm going to switch to synthetic fluids, engine and diff, synch the throttle bodies, and enjoy the ride. don't let the ticking deter you from buying an fjr. BTW, by dealer had never heard of the ticking, and there are no bulletins or recalls on them.

BTW, by dealer had never heard of the ticking, and there are no bulletins or recalls on them.
03fjrman,

I believe that there IS, in fact, a TSB on the ticking issue, but it was

issued in Australia.

(Someone correct me if I'm wrong).

I have an '05 but I'm currently unable to ride due to having most of the front

cowling off to replace a freakin' turn signal indicator bulb. (Too hot to ride for

me anyway...into the triple digits in NorCal).

I couldn't afford to get the YES at the time and my year is up, so I gots ta do it

myself. BIG learning experience.

Oh, yeah, don't listen to FJRMGM. The blue ones are definitely faster!!! :bleh:

Jim

in that case, mine will be getting a paint job this winter!! :D which is the fastest color?

hey galaxy, that clip of the ticker, is that motor warm or cold? does it sound like that when you start it up cold?